Windows Synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm building a new Synth. It's only going to be Windows Only for the time being, but down the track I might doing something for Mac as well...

But, can I get a show of hands for people who will upgrade to Windows 10 soon, and those that plan to stick to Windows 7?

I'm tossing up whether I should build this desktop style for keyboard and mouse, or go for tablet style so everything is done with touch...

FWIW I'm sticking with Win 8.1 for the time being. What kind of synth are you planning?

I'm sticking with Win 7 until I'm forced to upgrade. Just as I held to XP until drivers were available.

Syncretia wrote: But, can I get a show of hands for people who will upgrade to Windows 10 soon, and those that plan to stick to Windows 7?
My tip for you: Don't ask here. Rather consult a statistic in half a year or something. You will probably rather motivate people who tell you that Windows 10 sucks monkey b***s here, and that they will stick to Windows 7 until it snows in hell, than really get a representative figure out of such a question. Or just take a look at what bigger companies have to say. It's a good indicator if those fix and update their software for Win 10 compatibility, or release compatibility lists. Or just check in studios if you know people producing music on Windows.

I would go ahead and see if i can make it compatible for all Windows versions anyway though. Shouldn't be so difficult, if you even run into trouble regarding that. Don't think a plugin will have compatiblity issues, unless you rely on some very special libraries, right?

Touch support should be compatible with mouse support either way. So your question is rather: Is it worth the additional effort to allow touch support?

Probably not. Although a good programmer would research touch support and learn exactly how to make it work well with mouse support before doing anything.

You may need to change some things about how you implement ordinary mouse support to allow touch support to blend in with it well in the future, if you decide to upgrade the code.

My opinion again is, don't bother. You should get mouse down and then adding touch support is an additional investment if you're motivated.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

I am kind of impressed by people who are still motivated enough to program a new synth from scratch (assuming this one will not be based on SE or SM). Given the abundance of synths already out there, you should really have some revolutionary ideas to make it worthwhile. Life is only so long...

Well, programming "a synth" only takes a couple months. What takes forever is the fine-tuning.

After the first 90%, the remaining 10% takes another 90% of the time. Applies to all engineering projects.

People still bother to design new bridges or cars and they continue to sell well. We're not using gas ovens from the 1940s but the technology hasn't changed much.

The reason I wrote Xhip for example wasn't to blow everyone away or be totally unique. Instead I designed it to be as general as possible.

Why? Everything else was too damn unique and this pissed me off when I wanted to make simple sounds!

All I wanted was something simple done right. Since everyone's opinion of "done right" is different (three oscs in Xhip?) I don't think people will ever stop making things.

It's pointless to compose music since everything has been done before. Dub-step? I've heard this a million times, it just never became so wildly popular because of being so stupid. Suddenly it's all over TV and stuff. WTF?

People will continue making "new" music and continue thinking things are special because they remember only the last three years at best in most cases :)
Last edited by aciddose on Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

fluffy_little_something wrote:I am kind of impressed by people who are still motivated enough to program a new synth from scratch (assuming this one will not be based on SE or SM). Given the abundance of synths already out there, you should really have some revolutionary ideas to make it worthwhile. Life is only so long...
Why? There's loads of similar synths with a high popularity out there. Especially VA's are very popular despite their similar approach.

Well, but the market is only so big and the more there are out there, the more they will cannibalize each other :P Several developers are struggling to make ends meet, or even out of business already.
So, in my view a new developer should come up with something really new or at least considerably better than what is already available.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Well, but the market is only so big and the more there are out there, the more they will cannibalize each other :P Several developers are struggling to make ends meet, or even out of business already.
So, in my view a new developer should come up with something really new or at least considerably better than what is already available.
Well, considering what the OP told, he may very well:

A) Come up with something unique;

B) Come up with something better than anything we have seen/listened so far;

C) Both of the above;

Or he may just be doing it because he can and want to. Speaking for myself, it's never too much :-)
Fernando (FMR)

Sooo anyway... back to the topic at hand- I'm a mouse-and-keyboard, Win 7 dinosaur; I don't own a smartphone, have no interest in anything tablet-y or touchscreen-y, but will not pout or whine if something isn't available in x64/Win/whatever. I always enjoy trying something new, and will always encourage new developers, but in all honesty, I've got plenty of tools already- and my time's undoubtedly better spent in plumbing the depths of what's in my plugin folder, rather than worrying about the latest and greatest new toy.
Music can no longer soothe the worried thoughts of monarchs; it can only tell you when it's time to buy margarine or copulate. -xoxos
Discontinue use if rash or irritation develops.

Same here, dinosaur on W7 and a classic tower computer configuration, never even touched a smart phone, tablet and all those gadgets :roll:
I am more likely to switch to Linux than to W10, frankly.

sempondr wrote:I'm sticking with Win 7 until I'm forced to upgrade. Just as I held to XP until drivers were available.
+1
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Touchscreen support is not the most important criterion anyway when developing for Windows 10. I mean, how many people really use touchscreen devices for their studio production machines? If then, that's something some people toy around with at the moment, but i wouldn't build up my synth around it. May be interesting when you develop an iOS synth, yes, but a general VST plugin? Don't think it's very important atm.

Mutant wrote:
sempondr wrote:I'm sticking with Win 7 until I'm forced to upgrade. Just as I held to XP until drivers were available.
+1
Same here
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Return to “Instruments”