Give me something to mix! I need portfolio material :)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm trying to build a name for myself and my team within the audio community, and I need mixes to build our portfolio. I'm offering free work in exchange for word of mouth advertising. Hope to hear from you!

My team of engineers can mix, master, quantize drums, tune vocals, drum replacement, add layers to your song, you name it.

Here's some links to our portfolio material:

http://hellaproductions.bandcamp.com/releases

https://soundcloud.com/hellaproductions

had a short listen to your first 2 songs. they sound too harsh and slightly over compressed/brickwall limited. IMHO. theres a reason why its been an industry standard for ages in pro mastering to have a slow steady drop in the higher frequency energy in the spectrum. anyway...good luck on that.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

It might be helpful to know what you want in terms of stems, track notes, music styles, etc.

It would also be nice to know the plug-ins and/or "treatment" you might offer. (For example, if you have the latest Slate or Waves plug-ins, some people might want to hear their stuff mixed with that, for comparison.)

I assume you're offering this for free in exchange for posting the finished product on your SoundCloud page and/or website, correct? If so, does the user get his "mixed" and processed tracks back, or just the mixed, stereo file?

If you want to take a crack at any of mine, just let me know--I don't mind, and I doubt you'll do any worse than the hash I've made of them! :wink:

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

layzer wrote:had a short listen to your first 2 songs. they sound too harsh and slightly over compressed/brickwall limited. IMHO. theres a reason why its been an industry standard for ages in pro mastering to have a slow steady drop in the higher frequency energy in the spectrum. anyway...good luck on that.
Thank you for the reply. I am glad that you noticed that, and I have come a long way since these mixes. What did you monitor them on if you don't mind me asking? Also, I would like us to keep in touch for future mix critiques! Since I am about to graduate with my BS in Audio Production, I am up to speed on industry standards for mastering currently, although these mixes do not reflect that, hence why I am asking for material so I can update it :)

-Austin

planetearth wrote:It might be helpful to know what you want in terms of stems, track notes, music styles, etc.

It would also be nice to know the plug-ins and/or "treatment" you might offer. (For example, if you have the latest Slate or Waves plug-ins, some people might want to hear their stuff mixed with that, for comparison.)

I assume you're offering this for free in exchange for posting the finished product on your SoundCloud page and/or website, correct? If so, does the user get his "mixed" and processed tracks back, or just the mixed, stereo file?

If you want to take a crack at any of mine, just let me know--I don't mind, and I doubt you'll do any worse than the hash I've made of them! :wink:

Steve
That's a good idea. I'm using Waves version 9 bundle in Pro Tools, and fab filter. I will give whatever that individual wants. If that individual asks me for a session, I'm okay with giving that back. If anyone here wants to critique my mix or even have me send a session back, i'm all about it. Be as harsh as you want to be, i'm here to learn and continue elevating my mixes. Also yes, if that person finds my mixes satisfactory, all I ask in return is some publicity for my page (letting me use the mix in my portfolio, and saying a little something about my page on facebook or what have you.

Did you hear about that slate subscription? I'll be jumping on that really soon.

My email is auskirk90@gmail.com
organized .wav stems would be super cool, or you can even give me a pro tools session folder if you wish. I have version 10, so .ptx would be compatible.

KVR wont let me delete my double reply, so I have to put text in this box.

ProgmetalOG wrote:
planetearth wrote:It might be helpful to know what you want in terms of stems, track notes, music styles, etc.

Steve
That's a good idea. I'm using Waves version 9 bundle in Pro Tools, and fab filter. I will give whatever that individual wants. If that individual asks me for a session, I'm okay with giving that back. If anyone here wants to critique my mix or even have me send a session back, i'm all about it. Be as harsh as you want to be, i'm here to learn and continue elevating my mixes. Also yes, if that person finds my mixes satisfactory, all I ask in return is some publicity for my page (letting me use the mix in my portfolio, and saying a little something about my page on facebook or what have you.

Did you hear about that slate subscription? I'll be jumping on that really soon.

My email is auskirk90@gmail.com
organized .wav stems would be super cool, or you can even give me a pro tools session folder if you wish. I have version 10, so .ptx would be compatible.
I don't know how many KVRers have ProTools, but I'm sure a few do. As long as you're open to receiving the individual stem tracks from other DAWs, you should be able to get a few takers. What you're offering certainly sounds reasonable.

The Slate deal sounds good if you buy a lot of plug-ins each year. If you don't...well, that's where the deal kind of falls apart. :wink: But Slate has some good stuff, and a muso friend of mine (and fellow Sonar user) loves their stuff.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

ProgmetalOG wrote:
layzer wrote:had a short listen to your first 2 songs. they sound too harsh and slightly over compressed/brickwall limited. IMHO. theres a reason why its been an industry standard for ages in pro mastering to have a slow steady drop in the higher frequency energy in the spectrum. anyway...good luck on that.
I am about to graduate with my BS in Audio Production, I am up to speed on industry standards for mastering currently, although these mixes do not reflect that, hence why I am asking for material so I can update it :)
-Austin
i don't have a BS in anything, but i've listened to enough professionally mastered material to
identify a track with too much treble. a quick look at a spectrum analysis confirms my assessment on it.

i use seven phases frequency spectrum analyzer but any good spec will reveal the same issue
with your tracks. in the pic below, the thin red line is the average energy from a clip of your first song throughout the freq spectrum. the thicker yellow line represents the IDEAL curve for most music styles.

i would question what you have learned wherever you're getting that BS because that much sizzle in anyones tracks
just doesn't sound natural.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Sorry this is my older work. I want newer work to show my progress as a mixing/ mastering engineer, hence why I made this thread. I'll keep the critique in mind next time i'm working.

I just posted an electronic song from me. Stems, amateur mix and amateur master available.

Maybe you can do something with it:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6205210

Return to “Music Cafe”