Best Spring Reverb Plugin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm looking at PSP Springbox, it sound quite realistic to me.

Any other options out there now, as this one's quite old, just wondering?

^ U got there a second before me. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ez8rOW1gdI
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

+1
I've tried them all and SringAge is the most flexible and has the best sound.

AFAIK none of these plugins have a feedback loop with optional processing in the loop. Am I correct?

In my modular synth rig, my favorite application for a spring reverb module is to use a feedback loop with a wave shaper and filter inserted into the loop.
------------------------------------------
Gribs

This is head and shoulders above the others imho.

NAD wrote:
+1
Most flexible? In what way is it more flexible than SpiritReverb?

And what do you mean with "best sound"?
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

The best one is really in Guitar Rig 5 Pro.
Spring Reverb

About

This is the classic reverb effect found in older amps, before the advent of solid-state reverb
units. But luckily, the classic noise and hum is missing in this component.
Controls
▪ REVERB sets the amount of the signal being fed into the reverb section, controlling the
intensity of the effect.
▪ TIME controls the reverb decay time. Turn clockwise to increase decay.
▪ BASS controls the low-frequency response characteristics. Turn up for a more pronounced
bass sound.
▪ MUTE shuts off the signal going through the reverb section, letting only the dry signal
pass through. This button can be used to trigger the reverb for single “splash” effects.
When the REVERB control is turned fully up, you will hear no more sound, because no
signal is allowed into the dry section.
Expert Controls
▪ SPRING LENGTH adjusts the length of the virtual spring. Shorter springs produce a tighter,
more metallic effect, and longer springs create a diffused sound with a longer decay.
▪ HIGH DAMP reduces the decay time for high frequencies in relation to the Time setting.
▪ LOW DAMP reduces the decay time for low frequencies in relation to the Time setting.

aMUSEd wrote:
This is head and shoulders above the others imho.
This is the best I've used too.

jens wrote:
NAD wrote:
+1
Most flexible? In what way is it more flexible than SpiritReverb?

And what do you mean with "best sound"?
Just my personal subjective opinion, that's all.

And you are of course entitled to it, however "best" sound doesn't really make sense to me in regards to a spring reverb - "most realistic" would of course make a lot of sense... which however would be less a matter of opinion than a matter of fact, even if it might be somewhat difficult to verify which would be the most realistic.

To me however, as a person who owns about ten different spring tanks in various hardware devices, Spring Age sounds nothing like a real spring reverb - SpiritReverb however imo clearly does.

The downside is of course, that Spirit Age uses several times as many CPU-cycles as Spring Age, which might explain why the former sounds realistic while the latter does not at all, since the physical modelling uses quite a few CPU cycles.

When you say "you tried them all", this seems to give you an air of competence, which is why you then please must excuse when people inquire further if they feel your reply is somewhat lacking on the factual side.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

SpringBox is great!
Some of the others are pretty heavy on CPU and over the top spring wackness.
The sknote.it spring verb is very creative, but CPU heavy…

SpringBox is just a good all-round useable virtual spring reverb

Don't forget about spring reverb impulses.

Return to “Effects”