Incompatible with OSX 10.10?

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have a lot of graphic issues with Mulab on my Mac with OSX 10.10. When I close the plugin-window of some of my vst's, there stays a blank , white window, which cannot be closed. I have to restart the program. This happens with 30% of my vst's . It seems to be a Mulab problem, because this doesn't happen with other Daws like Live.
Another issue with Mulab: in DCAM Synth vst the keyboard -input is not working, that means you cannot rename presets etc.

wibem wrote:I have a lot of graphic issues with Mulab on my Mac with OSX 10.10. When I close the plugin-window of some of my vst's, there stays a blank , white window, which cannot be closed. I have to restart the program. This happens with 30% of my vst's.
Pls list which plugins suffer from this.

Here is a list of some of my vst's, which have the problem:
Nora, Chromaphone, Lounge Lizard, Mangle, Nepheton, tunefish.

Just tried Tunefish in MuLab 6.5.33 on OSX 10.6.8, closing the vst editor works fine, no white window left. Any other OSX users encountering such issue as described above?

I use Chromaphone, Lounge Lizard & Mangle with no problems, but I am on 10.8.5 which is not relevant to @wibem due to notorious backward compatibility issues with OSX. I did have 'white window' problems in MuLab 4 with bluecat plugins, that I managed then by trashing the User Settings file 'VstPlugins.Xml' and rescanning, but I have no bluecat problems in current MuLab. By coincidence, today I briefly experienced the 'white window' when selecting a larger GUI size of a beta reverb-- a larger white window framed the smaller. When I closed the window [x] and then clicked it in the rack to reopen, it opened large with no white window.
@wibem, have you noticed any time that the synths or Nora close normally?
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

I haven't notice this, when I close the window. Only when I mininize the window, there is no white window.

I have just upgrade to OS X 10.10 and have the same white window problem. I did not have this issue in previous versions of OS X - this seems to be a problem only in OS X 10.10

Is there a way around this as it is very annoying!

Does this new version make a difference: http://www.mutools.com/forsythia/mulab- ... sx-app.zip

No, this update didn´t solve the problem.

That's a pity. Will look further for a reason + fix. Practical prob is that i don't have 10.10 here so i can't check it out myself. Hope this is not another osx-self-incompatibility issue... :?

One thing is clear: This is a very odd problem. And it does not happen with all plugins, for example all Native Instruments plugins still work perfectly in MuLab on OSX 10.10 Yosemite.

Please keep on listing the VST plugins that do suffer from this white window problem. I wonder whether there is a link between them. Maybe they're all made with Juce? For i encountered this related topic in the EXT forum:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 6&t=435245

Any additional pieces of info are very welcome.

Until this odd problem is fixed, there is this possible work around: You can minimise the plugin to the bar at the bottom of the screen and then close the synth. This way, no white window is left.
Meanwhile i'll keep on searching for a solution. (eventhough it's not sure that it's a MuLab code issue)

Minimising the window is not a practical solution. I always have to remember which vst's have to be minimised. Thats not what I want to have to think about.
In my opinion it seems to be specially a problem of Mulab, because other programs like Ableton Live close the same plugin -windows regularly. It must be a special routine in Mulab for closing the plugin-windows , which is different from way the other programs do it. Perhaps the compiler for the code is not uptodate.

Believe me i've spent A LOT of time last week testing this and i cannot find anything wrong in the Mu code. The frustrating thing is that it gives the impression that it's MuLab's fault, but then why does it only happen in 10.10 Yosemite and not in 10.6 to 10.9? And why does it only happen with some VST plugins while many other work perfectly. And why does the same prob suddenly starts to happen in Energy XT on Yosemite? Because Jorgen and me coincidentally made the exact same mistake? I don't believe so. (also rememberring all tests i did last week) I'd rather suspect Apple added another compatibility break. That window is effectively closed with DisposeWindow call but for some obscur reason OSX does not close it. If any other Mac coders know why, i'm interested.

A possible related aspect may be that MuLab (and maybe EXT too) still uses the Carbon API and that may be a cause of certain probs because eventhough Apple still supports it officially, they depreciate it as much as they can, practically. I realize that, if i want to continue supporting the Mac platform, i'll have to switch the code to the Cocoa API.
In fact this Carbon - Cocoa aspect is also the reason why there still is no MuLab 64 bit for Mac and no MUX for Mac yet. I'm still considering to go for it but all Apple's ambiguities and internal incompatibilities (and money sucking eg for Gatekeeper) keep me hesitant. It's a hot topic here. To be continued.

Have the same problem, investigated that also further, as this only pops up for me in eXT and MuLab.
In eXT it is often like you get a gray box (like some users have reported for ableton as well) but when you click on the
eXT gui somewhere it disappears approx. 70-80% of the time.

In MuLab things are way way worse. I get the white box approx. 80% of the time on window close,
even with plugins that don't fail in eXT. (!)
(EDIT: Unfortunately after some more testing right now I have to rephrase that. With most plugins where I know this happens, the failrate is 100% whitebox in MuLab)

MuLab is *very* extreme here with that white box sh*t, so that I basically stopped using it since the 10.10 update
as it's too much trouble to go through.

On the other hand: 10.10 actually gave me some much trouble in so many areas that I thought of rolling back to 10.9. S
till do, but need more time to think about that.

By the way: Any other host are absolutely fine with all plugins on 10.10. . (i.e. Bitwig 1.2, Logic 10.2, PT11, Cubase 8, Reaper 5, Tracktion T6, Renoise 3, Studio One V3. I worked with all of them for enough time with enough plugins after the 10.10 update to say so for sure.)

My guess is that its very very likely a triangular thing between Yosemite, the Host and Plugins based on a specific Juce Framework.

When I rechecked Mulab yesterday I had even a crash after some white window plugin thing. There are some lines regarding Juce in it. I will send over that crash report, maybe there is something in there that hints you in the right direction.

Best,

tL.

(AddOn: The Ableton guys came up with this statement,
which I can proove wrong in no time:)

Are there any known issues with OS X 10.10?
Certain 32-bit VST plug-ins that make use of outdated versions of the JUCE framework seem to have drawing problems with the plug-in GUI.

The symptoms are: completely empty plug-in windows, misaligned UI elements, not being able to close the plug-in window.

If you experience such issues, we recommend using the 64-bit versions of these plug-ins, if available, and contacting the plug-in developer for additional information.
Nonsense. Recently released 64 bit stuff
is doing the same shite. Just FYI.
Last edited by LYTZ on Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Professional.

Return to “MUTOOLS”