Will we ever get proper VST multi out support?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

By proper, I mean treating each output as a track. At the moment, they all route to the track output, and you need to use audio receivers to send audio to another track. Obviously this is a workflow killer, and overly complicated way to do things.

So is proper multi out support planned? I'd like to be able to route each track to another track or group, just like a normal track.

Big +1

Eta Carinae wrote:you need to use audio receivers to send audio to another track
yes im agree. bitwig should just read my mind of where i want audio to go..

+1 telepathy feature :D
has anyone see Maitake ?

someting like this

has anyone see Maitake ?

PresetNoob wrote:
Eta Carinae wrote:you need to use audio receivers to send audio to another track
yes im agree. bitwig should just read my mind of where i want audio to go..

+1 telepathy feature :D
What on earth are you talking about? Didn't you understand my OP?

also BIG +1!

What do you mean? Everything can route to a separate audio track by adding hidden chain.

Wow, was my post really that badly written? Several people here don't seem to get the point... I don't know how to explain it in a more basic way, but I will try.

With a normal audio track, I can route it anywhere I like by choosing the output in the mixer.

With a multi out track, all of the multi outs are routed to the track output. I cannot route them anywhere else, unless I put an audio receiver on a track that I want to route them to. I'd rather be able to select the output in the mixer, as I can with normal audio tracks.

Here is a photo of the mixer:

You will see that it has input and output for each track.

Here is a photo of the mixer with multi outs:

As you will see, there are no output options for the multi out tracks, only for the instrument track. I hope this clears up any confusion.

Duh! multi outs... LOL
But try this you cant!!!!!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ok yeah wow that is pretty bad actually. I never use multi out VSTs so didn't notice. But if it can be done with audio receiver is it that terrible? I'm assuming you want to group stuff for processing as a group?

oh yes, misunderstood!

:smack:

codec17 wrote:Duh! multi outs... LOL
But try this you cant!!!!!!!
Anyway, there is a obvious reason this doesnt work. Bitwig has implemented to access different midichannels you have to have midi on another track send via audio output to the multiout device. Since you cut off output to master by changing to midi of what you want to controll you are also taking away audio output.

I know i dont hate it because the point of multi out has its own mixertracks allready. However its not best way to implement multiout.

This would kick bitwigs design if they implemented like this.

+ Multi out acts more like groups where you can unfold all tracks in arranger also and not just in mixer.
+ Instead of having midi from another track you can have midi on same track and change channel if you want.
+ Possible of streamline bounce in place by having it so you can put clips on the track where multiout is.

but i guess they are focusing towards something like that, just my wild guess. I think it was more important to push out multi out because many vst and users need it. Its not useless. But it feels pushed. I think we might see some better implementation. I really hope that, something that acts more like the groups :)

For group processing: it is possible to setup the signal chain like this:
1. VST with multi-outputs added
2. FX layer device
2.1 inside the the layer device we can have multiple FX layer devices serving as groups for the multi-outs
2.1.1 every "group" can contain some layers and each layer has an audio receiver which grabs the audio from a multi out of the VST

I made a picture of that FX layer routing (without a multi-out VST because ATM I don't have one here):
Multi-out groups.PNG
EDIT: notice the renamed FX layer ("Group 1")

In 1.2 we also can rename the audio receivers (e.g. to "Battery Kick1" or so) so that might lead to a bit more overview (+hybrid and instrument tracks get renamed after the first device in the chain).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

u-u-u wrote:For group processing: it is possible to setup the signal chain like this:
1. VST with multi-outputs added
2. FX layer device
2.1 inside the the layer device we can have multiple FX layer devices serving as groups for the multi-outs
2.1.1 every "group" can contain some layers and each layer has an audio receiver which grabs the audio from a multi out of the VST

I made a picture of that FX layer routing (without a multi-out VST because ATM I don't have one here):
Multi-out groups.PNG
EDIT: notice the renamed FX layer ("Group 1")

In 1.2 we also can rename the audio receivers (e.g. to "Battery Kick1" or so) so that might lead to a bit more overview (+hybrid and instrument tracks get renamed after the first device in the chain).
i am better of not doing that XD Looks like a pain ^^

Return to “Bitwig”