Eat Static's 'Dead Planet / Human Upgrade'

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

If you get Robert Smith doing vocals (and bass) for one of your tracks, I guess you can say you made it. :tu:

2ZrgE wrote:If you get Robert Smith doing vocals (and bass) for one of your tracks, I guess you can say you made it. :tu:
At least he is better singer than Sasha Grey (check out the latest Infected Mushroom efforts) :hihi:

Yes, this song with Robert Smith is dope!

The other one seems to be just a generic psytrance track, well made but nothing outstanding at the first listen.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote:At least he is better singer than Sasha Grey
I would far rather watch one of her movies than listen to her sing...
Sweet child in time...

yeah...first one sounds like "generic psytrance track #8 " circa 2005.

second one is more interesting...but only slightly. more because of the novelty of robert smith than anything else.
ImageImageImage

Well, nevertheless, top marks to Merv for keeping it going :tu:

This is a double album and the variation from track to track is staggering.
There's D&B, dubsteps, full-on psy, dub, etc. It's a proper rollercoaster.

Sadly not on iTunes though. I think because Merv published it himself.

I listened to some more tracks from this album. Well, all in all the music is definitely far more diverse and imaginative than most of psy released these days. But still, not my cup of tea. There are some interesting moments, nice melodies but in most cases I failed to follow the flow of the tracks, most of them sound like the guys are showcasing their noise making skills rather than telling a story.

zOMG Thanks for the head's up!

recursive one wrote:sound like the guys are showcasing their noise making skills rather than telling a story.
I can assure you I'm probably one of the biggest psy-heads on this site (and I know there are loads), but even I would admit a significant percentage of psy is just sound-design. 50% sound design and 50% story IMO.

What is psy if you don't regularly make the "whoa, what the f&ck was that" face ;)

Mushy Mushy wrote:
recursive one wrote:sound like the guys are showcasing their noise making skills rather than telling a story.
I can assure you I'm probably one of the biggest psy-heads on this site (and I know there are loads), but even I would admit a significant percentage of psy is just sound-design. 50% sound design and 50% story IMO.

What is psy if you don't regularly make the "whoa, what the f&ck was that" face ;)
Yes, of course, sound-design is much more important in psy than in most other genres. Still, psytrance is not just about throwing a bunch of random weird noises over a rolling bassline. To me, it's about trippiness, which may be created by random ( "pseudo-random" actually) weird noises and may be created by other means.

You've probably heard this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwZDR-ENSpE

To me, it's insanely trippy despite pretty minimal sound-design. On the other hand, I fail to feel any trippines in most psycore/hi-tech stuff despite some really mindfvcking sounds that can be found there.

Well, it all comes down to individual tastes I guess :wink:

recursive one wrote:Yes, of course, sound-design is much more important in psy than in most other genres. Still, psytrance is not just about throwing a bunch of random weird noises over a rolling bassline. To me, it's about trippiness, which may be created by random ( "pseudo-random" actually) weird noises and may be created by other means.
On this I completely agree.
recursive one wrote:To me, it's insanely trippy despite pretty minimal sound-design. On the other hand, I fail to feel any trippines in most psycore/hi-tech stuff despite some really mindfvcking sounds that can be found there.
It's fascinating how different people's brains work and interpret things. For me, I get absolutely no trippyness from that track whatsoever. Superbly well produced and a great track to boot, but it does nothing for my psychedelically. Each to their own as you say ;)

This to me is my favourite track lately that bends my mind. Each time I listen to it I try to follow one sound and it disappears and morphs into something else and I think "wait, where did I lose that sound I was following?!" Each sound bounces off each other in the typical question/answer style. At 5:40 my brian just melts trying to comprehend what's happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eeo-q7ehzsc

Fine track, really interesting sound twists. But as usual with tracks of that type I wish it had more melodic content.

Like this, for example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0asIlkTbIbw

Not my style actually, as my comfort zone generally lies between morning full-on in the vein of Digicult/U-Recken/Protoculture and progressive like Ritmo, Sideform or E-Clip but I love how this Kindzadza guy combines total weirdness with some really catchy melodies.

Mushy Mushy wrote:It's fascinating how different people's brains work and interpret things. For me, I get absolutely no trippyness from that track whatsoever.
As we speak about it, I tried to analyse why I get high of this track. Maybe that's about very unnatural, mechanistic beat. Maybe the sounds, while mostly familiar, are tad different than you'd expect and the bpm it a tad slower than you want it to be - some kind of "uncanny valley" effect.

Still, it seems that this guy himself doesn't know what produces this effect and how it can be reporduced. Some of his other tracks also have this vibe, more or less, but many of his songs are just plain boring.

I've listened to the album a couple of times, once while working and once while driving. It's decent enough to stay in my Google Play library, but not what I would call mind-blowing.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”