Quantize confusion

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

OK I'll start a new thread for this as it seems unclear what Bitwig are referring to with the new feature in 1.2 called 'input quantize'. There was already 'record quantize' going back a few versions so is 'input quantize' something different, as the different name implies, and if so what? If it is the same thing it's confusing to give it 2 different names, and also it's not a new feature in 1.2 anyway so why is it at the top of the new features list? If on the other hand it is something completely new what does it do that is different from 'record quantize' and more importantly, how do I turn it off because I can't see any options in the interface that even refer to 'input quantize, just 'record quantize' which I have off already as I would never use it.

+1

+1
Mac OSX 10.11.2
Safire Pro 14

https://soundcloud.com/kung_vu

I'm pretty sure it's record quantize while not recording. But I can't seem to find the option anywhere.
A pointer points to an.....OK, you know what...I quit....
Laserbeak43

Would still like clarification on this...

pdxindy wrote:Would still like clarification on this...
It is quantization during recording. Click on the down arrow right of the Automation Record button in the transport section.
The appearing drop down lets you select: Pre-Roll, Rec Quantization and Automation Write.

moss wrote:
It is quantization during recording. Click on the down arrow right of the Automation Record button in the transport section.
The appearing drop down lets you select: Pre-Roll, Rec Quantization and Automation Write.
Wasn't that there before 1.2?

Jazzlover wrote:
moss wrote:
I believe it was. I also could have sworn that there was input quantization without recording, but I've been confused about it all honestly. I'm expecting it to behave like Live, but with improvements on that functionality.
Laserbeak43

laserbeak wrote:I also could have sworn that there was input quantization without recording, but I've been confused about it all honestly. I'm expecting it to behave like Live, but with improvements on that functionality.
I'm a little confused. What do you mean by "input quantization without recording"?

Jazzlover wrote:
moss wrote:
Yes it was. Which is why I'm not sure this is what is referred to.

aMUSEd wrote:
Jazzlover wrote:
moss wrote:
Yes it was. Which is why I'm not sure this is what is referred to.
I wonder if Bitwig even knows what this is :hihi:

Jazzlover wrote:
laserbeak wrote:I also could have sworn that there was input quantization without recording, but I've been confused about it all honestly. I'm expecting it to behave like Live, but with improvements on that functionality.
I'm a little confused. What do you mean by "input quantization without recording"?
Let's say we are playing a sequence on one track, and just jamming in another, with our keyboard and input quantization is set at every 1/8th. With this form of input quantization, if you strike a note too early, the note will be played at the next 8th. I'm sure you're already aware of what input quantization is though. Same as recording, except, you don't need to actually be recording to do it.
Laserbeak43

laserbeak wrote:Same as recording, except, you don't need to actually be recording to do it.
Got ya. Ok.

laserbeak wrote:
Jazzlover wrote:
Let's say we are playing a sequence on one track, and just jamming in another, with our keyboard and input quantization is set at every 1/8th. With this form of input quantization, if you strike a note too early, the note will be played at the next 8th. I'm sure you're already aware of what input quantization is though. Same as recording, except, you don't need to actually be recording to do it.
So if it is different from record quantisation where is the option to turn it off?

aMUSEd wrote:
laserbeak wrote:
Jazzlover wrote:
So if it is different from record quantisation where is the option to turn it off?
That's what I'm saying. I could've sworn the option was available before the latest release, but I have only had Bitwig for about a month, and haven't even scratched the surface of it.
Laserbeak43

Return to “Bitwig”