Has anyone used boz mongoose?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Seems like it can be quite a quick and easy - useful tool to tighten the low end, was wondering if anyone has used it. Apparently they are raising the price of the VST soon so I was curious.

That's just not the sort of question a chap likes to answer.

Yes, it's good for my uses.
Other people review it very well too.

Yes I use it on drums (kicks) and bass (low parts of layers) to keep them in the middle of the stereo space on pretty much every track on which I work.

It can also work the other way and cut the bass end of the spectrum and widen one either side of the crossover frequency (which is adjustable)... including enhance the stereo spread.

Very handy plugin on insert tracks.

I don't use it that much mostly occassionaly. Most user say that their lowend gets more punch after they set their low freqs to mono. Imho this is the result of summing both R & L channels without compensating the double in gain. So if I use it I always set the Mono one to -3dB.

Dont get me wrong: if you are working with lots of stereo material this one can become pretty handy but I work mostly with Mono sources only and all panning or processing is done on purpose and my lowend stays mostly mono from the beginning. No need to make it mono later.
Underground Music Production: Sound Design, Machine Funk, High Tech Soul

For what it do it is sure good but i use the free 32bit Basslane. Never i would pay the asking price for such a simple plugin. Also i think that Mongoose was also a freebie back in 2013 so i don't get why it's now worth $25 or $50. Imperial again?
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Basslane, iirc, seemed to provide a different sound.. less sharp of a cut and more color. Mongoose is cleaner.

http://www.alexhilton.net/A1AUDIO/index ... reocontrol this is free and could be useful too.

A lot of plugins are given free or reduced cost significantly for a limited time.. it doesn't mean the value remains at those levels after those periods have expired. Because those offers are not available anymore.

I use it. There's a few tools that do this job, but this one does it well, and does it lightly on my CPU.

Rah wrote:I use it. There's a few tools that do this job, but this one does it well, and does it lightly on my CPU.
is the tool worth it?

I guess if you need this tool its good, but dont most EQ's now offer Mid Side mode, and if you filter out the bass frequencies in the sides you are left with mono bass without the added effects of summing to mono?
My progressive rock band - free demos here!! (and if you do listen please let me know what you think!) http://www.aeonsatori.com/news/free-downloads

Elton john probably uses it.
:borg:

No, Elton John uses Sknote Cuttertone
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VitaminD wrote:Basslane, iirc, seemed to provide a different sound.. less sharp of a cut and more color. Mongoose is cleaner.

http://www.alexhilton.net/A1AUDIO/index ... reocontrol this is free and could be useful too.

A lot of plugins are given free or reduced cost significantly for a limited time.. it doesn't mean the value remains at those levels after those periods have expired. Because those offers are not available anymore.
No it just mono the lowend. I also didn't recognize any coloring of the sound. To bad it will never be 64bit btw.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Get it! I use this every day on every mix.

Usually I will use it on the Overheads and then probably on the drum buss too.

Sometimes I put it on the master buss, but usually I would like to have that kind of issue sorted early on.

It's a great plugin. Light on cpu and simple to use.

Buy it now, I say! :party:

VitaminD wrote:Basslane, iirc, seemed to provide a different sound.. less sharp of a cut and more color. Mongoose is cleaner.

The Alex Hilton is also great, but it only gives you the "safe bass" option which just makes the low end completely mono below your selected frequency. Mongoose gives you width percentage option in both bands.

Return to “Effects”