A Renaissance Choir

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I spend quite a lot of time on this piece, so I would be very glad if someone would come up with some feedback, positive and constructive criticism as well :)

Thank you in advance.

(This song has been updated since the first replies. It is now longer, and has more lyrics):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVpkvjgdS6E&

I have also made notes/sheet for it, in case this is good enough to be posted on Youtube.

Please let me know what you think about it.
Last edited by mediumaevum on Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:30 am, edited 3 times in total.

Anyone?

Sounds good to me, if you didn't tell it's virtual, never wouldn't guest, sincerely, what did you used?
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

I agree, it is well done in my opinion. I like the dynamic volume changes of single voices. Did you simply run a MIDI file or have you played it on a keyboard, or programmed in the piano roll? Or did you use a MIDI file and edited it until it fits? Did you edit velocity of the notes or used automation at mixdown, or both?

It still sounds a little bit artificial, but only to trained ears who know about the technological options we have today. Most people would think of a real choir. We must know that many film scores are done like that, entire orchestras, choirs, single instruments. I don't object to that at all, I find it rather interesting. If the result sounds good, it doesn't really matter how it is done. I find it sounds good. It does not really compare to a real recording in a church with all its human voices and its reverb characteristics, but being able to do such a thing in the box is quite impressive. With IR reverb characteristics and precise manipulation of MIDI notes and DAW automation it can get very close to a real performance.

Besides, the ending is too short. You should leave a couple of seconds for the reverb. That's only a detail, your choir is well done. Thank you for posting.

mediumaevum wrote:Please let me know what you think about it.
Texture-wise it sounds ok. The transitions are robotic, but if people here can't even hear that, well.

The music is too simple, though. I hear a return to I every few bars. If you know Renaissance music, you've probably heard Du Prez or Palestrina. That sounds rather different. It's difficult to match that complexity, but more variation in voicing and harmony could improve the track.

Thank you. I used Mystica VST.

I have updated my song:

https://soundcloud.com/mediumaevum-arti ... he-heavens

This is all entirely my own composition. It is not just a MIDI-file I downloaded, I composed the melody and the three polyphonic lines as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVpkvjgdS6E&

Please listen to this final version.

And if you want to, you can sing this in a real choir. Just remember to give me credit for the composition.

I'd really want to hear this sung on a real choir.

If your intention was to mimic the Renaissance polyphony, I have to say there are several technical mistakes, that would never got along in a renaissance score of Dufay, Ockeghem or Des Prez. First, you have several A# in the score which are clearly B flats (the pieace appears to be in the first mode). Second, the cadenzas in Dez Prez, for example would already have the C raised, and would have to be better prepared. Also, and this is even more serious, you have several parallel octaves in the cadenzas, which is something a renaissance composer would never do (because it would reduce the polyphony).

Regarding the sound, the choir sounds very good, but the voices in this period would be only males and boys, and I clearly listen to female voices. That also isn't according with the spirit of the time. This sounds more like a later choir from the Sistine chapel or the Venetian cathedral, but lacks the majesty of those choirs.

Nevertheless, soundwise, I have to congratulate you. You did a very good recreation of a chamber choir. If you manage to solve the technical problems of the composition, you will have a good piece in your hands.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:If your intention was to mimic the Renaissance polyphony, I have to say there are several technical mistakes, that would never got along in a renaissance score of Dufay, Ockeghem or Des Prez. First, you have several A# in the score which are clearly B flats (the pieace appears to be in the first mode). Second, the cadenzas in Dez Prez, for example would already have the C raised, and would have to be better prepared. Also, and this is even more serious, you have several parallel octaves in the cadenzas, which is something a renaissance composer would never do (because it would reduce the polyphony).

Regarding the sound, the choir sounds very good, but the voices in this period would be only males and boys, and I clearly listen to female voices. That also isn't according with the spirit of the time. This sounds more like a later choir from the Sistine chapel or the Venetian cathedral, but lacks the majesty of those choirs.

Nevertheless, soundwise, I have to congratulate you. You did a very good recreation of a chamber choir. If you manage to solve the technical problems of the composition, you will have a good piece in your hands.
Thank you very much for your constructive criticism.

I think "Church-like music" may eventually fit better.

It was inspired by a piece published in the 17th century, so that may not be entirely renaissance music.

In regards to my polyphonies, I believe they follow the lines of traditional danish church music from after the reformation.

This is the piece that inspired me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgRTpYqVI2Y

It also has both male and female choirs.

My intention was not to mimic Dufay or Des Prez, but more like Mogens Pedersøn and Thomissøn or Le Maistre.

http://mariagerkirke.dk/musik/salmer_sp ... lodiid=665

Wao, splendid piece.
I close my eyes and I'm in a other world, other times.
Thank you for sharing.

I agree, notable works. Thanks for the explanations.

Return to “Music Cafe”