my thoughts on bitwig 1.3 touch and brief comparison with live

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i have a surface pro 3 and had been waiting for this update for a while. i love bitwig so much but a few things still keeps me from switching. i see ableton as a necessary evil, since as much as i want bitwig to work for me it just doesn't ever live up to my expectations.

as much as bitwig touch is a dream-come-true production experience, other things keep my workflow from really flowing, such as:

1. every other time i try to add a new plugin, it will actually crash and make all other plugins in the session crash as well, making me lose whatever settings i tweaked in them, that havent been automated. if i had a cool beat going on, i just have to go back to each device and try to remember the settings i had changed for its parameters. lamee!!
comparison: i have never had my 32bit plugins crash on me in live.

2. in a one-hour production time slot, about 3-4 times my controllers would freeze. to solve this i first open the controller preferences and press the refresh button for each frozen controller script. if this doesn't solve the problem i have to unplug the usb cables and plug them back in. I own a livid baseii and an apckey25, they both tend to freeze often.
comparison: my controllers veryyyyyy rarelyyyyy ever freeze in live, in my personal experience.

3. the ipad contrller options to for bitwig aren't as sophisticated as touchable for live. with the touchosc bitwig controller i get horrible lag when moving faders. it also feel so archaic and primitive, with not that many options. touchable for live is a marvelous software that keeps surprising me for its flexibility and well-rounded functionality. not to mention that it remains connected wirelessly with a fast bi-communication.

4. there is nothing similar to clyphx for bitwig. the closest approximation i found would be a basically unkown script called cliplet that says it's inspired by clyphx. however, there is no documentation and the short descriptions are in bad english, so i haven't had the courage to spend time trying it.

5. (less important) the key25's script doesn't enable the knobs to work as macro controls.

no hate, just sharing my reflections on why i don't feel ready to make the change.

I'll definitely agree on the controller freeze thing... Happens a lot to my apc mini and it's definitely a workflow killer. Another thing is adding swing, it's so more easier in Live... But probably a human error, like me haven't figured it all out yet... And I whish there was 1/16 triplets quantisize instead of 1/32s.

I love Live AND Bitwig! For sampledbased hiphop beats with plenty of swing and chops and a dope ass sampler: Live! For more electro free styling, with my hardware synths and getting a groove rolling quick: Bitwig.

But again, this is probably just how I learned these DAWS. Both are great!

And yes, a skin editor to bitwig! I'm more a dark grey guy. I'll do light toothpaste blue and dark grey bg.

In response to 1 and 2, have you reported these issues to support? They seem like pretty big issues (esp #1) that the dev team would probably put a high priority on fixing.

Also does #2 happen when your on a laptop? I've never had that issue, admittingly I've never had those two controllers, but Ive used Launchpad, APC mini, and Push and had no issues. I'm also on a Mac though.

yeah im on laptop. kinda seeing a freezing apc mini when reaktor 6 is on in bitwig, im on 1.2... bitwig hasent told me to update yet. bottom line, MOSS bitwig script for apc mini makes it push so i guess i shouldnt complain... my mpd 218 never freezes. no havent reported a thing yet. good point!

SpaceTraffic wrote: im on 1.2... bitwig hasent told me to update yet.
Because bitwig 1.2 is the latest version out. Bitwig 1.3 is on release candidate meaning its not yet a consumer version. You should get update whenever it is released as a consumer. To get 1.3 you have to get to bitwig.com and navigate yourself to 1.3 news on start of homepage
desktop: windows 10 x64, i5 4690k, 32gb ram 1600mhz, 2x ssd 128 gb +2x3 tb, asus gtx 970, asus proz gamer motherboard, no external audiocard
laptop: windows 10 x64, i7 mq4700, 12gb ram 1600mhz, 1 tb, asus gt 750

Yeah you're right, I'll wait. Btw I found the triplets, sorry my bad.

put here too maybe somebody missed it

https://soundcloud.com/kaneaudio/the-ka ... io-podcast

from 7.3
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Return to “Bitwig”