Best controller for BWS

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm not happy with KK, which i can still return, (14 day blablabla) so i'm looking for something that has the best possible integration with bitwig.

I've heard and seen that nectar panorama has what i'm looking for, but it's maybe a bit to big for my desk, (as is KK) so i was thinking if push is the thing i should coinsider?

What are the alternatives to those few that i mentioned?

Nektar Panorama seems like the best and most reliable to me... I'm gonna buy one myself.

I have Push which I've used with Bitwig. Moss does an amazing job on the Push script and deserves nothing but praise for that. However, Push4Bitwig is currently having some significant issues with the latest Bitwig 1.2 release. It is something that Bitwig has to address.

When I am beta testing for Live, Push is part of the development. Ableton has a vested interest in making sure it works... obviously because they make both. Bitwig does not have that vested interest. Bitwig 1.2 is released with showstopper bugs in the Push script and who knows when it will be fixed. It is understandable that it is not a Bitwig priority, but that makes me feel like I cannot depend on the Bitwig/Push combo.

Nektar is a Bitwig distributor and my understanding is there is close collaboration between both companies. I feel more confident that both companies are invested in making sure it works consistently and reliably.

Those are my thoughts on it at the moment.

You could move down the Nektar line and get an Impact LX 25. Smaller and much cheaper though I do not know for sure if the integration is quite as good as the Panorama series.

no faders on the LX25

plus the panorama has that nice screen... and quite a bit more

pdxindy wrote:no faders on the LX25

plus the panorama has that nice screen... and quite a bit more
Of course it has no faders. There is no room for faders unless you make the keys or pads smaller or remove the knobs. Same goes for the larger screen. If people want smaller, something has to give.

pdxindy wrote:Nektar Panorama seems like the best and most reliable to me... I'm gonna buy one myself.

I have Push which I've used with Bitwig. Moss does an amazing job on the Push script and deserves nothing but praise for that. However, Push4Bitwig is currently having some significant issues with the latest Bitwig 1.2 release. It is something that Bitwig has to address.

When I am beta testing for Live, Push is part of the development. Ableton has a vested interest in making sure it works... obviously because they make both. Bitwig does not have that vested interest. Bitwig 1.2 is released with showstopper bugs in the Push script and who knows when it will be fixed. It is understandable that it is not a Bitwig priority, but that makes me feel like I cannot depend on the Bitwig/Push combo.

Nektar is a Bitwig distributor and my understanding is there is close collaboration between both companies. I feel more confident that both companies are invested in making sure it works consistently and reliably.

Those are my thoughts on it at the moment.
My 2cents.

What is going on with the Push has nothing todo with Moss and is Bitwig. But, here is the deal, most of the API is tested between Volker and Moss, currently my business is taking first priority and I haven't had much time in the last 2 months to be involved in the more low level reporting Moss does with Volker.

Don't believe me? Check this out;

https://github.com/teotigraphix/Framework4Bitwig/issues

Anyway, the show stopping bugs have to do with the API getting insanely complex with group tracks.

Please don't say Bitwig does not have a vested interest in their API, they do, if the API worked right now, you can bet Push would work as well. This is a huge transition period and a lot of scripts are going to have problems.

I don't have a Nektar but, I am pretty sure due to the bugs moss has reported, that it would be impossible that Nektar's scripts work bug free with 1.3 as well.

Again, my 2cents.

Mike
Michael Schmalle
http://www.teotigraphix.com
Surfing on sine waves

Maschine4Bitwig - Studio, MK2, MikroMK2, MK1
http://www.teotigraphix.com/bitwig/maschine

Ive had a ton of controllers for BWS. APC mini, Launchpad Mini Mk1, Launchpad mk2, Maschine, Nektar LX49, and Ableton Push. I did really enjoy the LX49, but I ended up selling it for the Push. The work Moss has done with the Push is outstanding and I don't think you should worry about show stopping bugs, I guarantee they will be worked out in a timely manor.

On the other hand, I really like the Launchpad Mk2 because I love the form factor. The Launchpad Pro looks like it could be a really cool controller, it does almost everything the Push does except without the screen and encoders.

dplduffy wrote:Ive had a ton of controllers for BWS. APC mini, Launchpad Mini Mk1, Launchpad mk2, Maschine, Nektar LX49, and Ableton Push. I did really enjoy the LX49, but I ended up selling it for the Push. The work Moss has done with the Push is outstanding and I don't think you should worry about show stopping bugs, I guarantee they will be worked out in a timely manor.

On the other hand, I really like the Launchpad Mk2 because I love the form factor. The Launchpad Pro looks like it could be a really cool controller, it does almost everything the Push does except without the screen and encoders.
excuse my, but i saw an APC40 mk-2 with bitwig video tutorial...

all i said myself was WAW !!! "they can do same as push !!".

-

the problem is... or is not....

but BITWIG is "a secret society for ELITEs" i feel... since a long.

but it lacks AN OFFICIAL DEDICATED CONTROLLER.

(edit: i would like "thoze germans" BWS TEAM'ERS create themselves THEIR ONLY ONE off CONTROLLER.)

OKAY WE GOT NOT AN OLD OLD ANCIENT DAW....

but what i do ALL on bitwig, i can't do it on another DAW......... u see ?

it's personnal :

i just bought 2 daws in my life :

cub 4,update 5, then 7 then 7.5...

and so BITWIG 1.1.

->

i also would like to buy a controller but it's not my priority actually.*

if i could i'll buy APC 40 MK2 (for the time...) and using it 4 bitwig.

*i need to buy a DJM- for my technics 1210 for djing... since so long years.... but cheap.

I have a bunch of controllers

Some generic MIDI keys
Nektar Impakt
Novation Launchpad
NI Traktor S4
Ableton Push

Push is by far the best controller I've used, the build quality is second to none, the Bitwig integration is ridiculous, and it's only going to get better as the API gets further developed and more advanced. The workflow is pretty amazing already, but I imagine it's going to get better and better.
I've gotten ideas down faster than ever before, what would take me literally days, now takes me a couple hours or less.
-Tristan
MacBook Pro|MacOS Sierra|Bitwig Studio 2.0
UA Apollo Twin| EVE SC207 Monitors|ATH M50x|Focal Spirt Pro|Komplete 10|Push

TeotiGraphix wrote:Anyway, the show stopping bugs have to do with the API getting insanely complex with group tracks.

Please don't say Bitwig does not have a vested interest in their API, they do, if the API worked right now, you can bet Push would work as well. This is a huge transition period and a lot of scripts are going to have problems.
I didn't say Bitwig does not have a vested interest in their API... I said they do not have the vested interest in supporting Push that Ableton does. If Live 9.2 had the problems with Push that Bitwig currently has, it would never have been officially released until Push worked better. Ableton is serious about making sure the two work well together because they make both of them.

How long was Bitwig 1.2 in beta? Quite a good long while... something like 8 months. After 8 months of 1.2 beta period these issues could not be sorted out for controllers? Now, after 8 months of testing and then 1.2 being released, we are in a transition period where lots of scripts are going to have problems? That is just not impressive at all.

pdxindy wrote: I didn't say Bitwig does not have a vested interest in their API... I said they do not have the vested interest in supporting Push that Ableton does. If Live 9.2 had the problems with Push that Bitwig currently has, it would never have been officially released until Push worked better. Ableton is serious about making sure the two work well together because they make both of them.
Wht problems are you talking about? If you refer to the direct parameters, they are already fixed on GitHub.

Talking about controllers my hitlist is:

1. Push
2. Launchpad Pro
3. APCmkII

Keyboards:
1. Nektar
2. Novation Remote MkII

I freaking love my push!

Why? Because it does it all... it feels like a little tank, and i think what the OP starter likes iguess? It,s not that big!!
And most important for me.. I want as less controllers as possible... And push for me is the main control center now...
I "dumped" my keys and pad thingies etc and now only my qwerty KB and above push... All the things on a little space..

TristanMendoza wrote:I have a bunch of controllers

Some generic MIDI keys
Nektar Impakt
Novation Launchpad
NI Traktor S4
Ableton Push

Push is by far the best controller I've used, the build quality is second to none, the Bitwig integration is ridiculous, and it's only going to get better as the API gets further developed and more advanced. The workflow is pretty amazing already, but I imagine it's going to get better and better.
I've gotten ideas down faster than ever before, what would take me literally days, now takes me a couple hours or less.
believe you.

i think the best nbow is surface pro tablett......

but it's "cheaps". (if u can get on...)

lol ! would like to use bitwig on my 5S........... :=o)

Return to “Bitwig”