Renoise 3.1 beta has started.

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Renoise

I nearly missed it because there was no newsletter (or maybe that's what I missed), so I figured I'd post a heads-up here:

http://www.renoise.com/products/renoise ... -notes/310

And the discussion: http://forum.renoise.com/index.php/topi ... ng-starts/ (there are two sub-forums for specific topics).

Nice point update, as can be expected from the Renoise team.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

I can't understand why the measures/beats on this DAW starts with a 0 (Zero) and not with a 1.
All the sequencers —Software and Hardware— i have used in my life they all start with 1 and never with zero. Im not sure if im going keep learnin Renoise.

Rodhex wrote:I can't understand why the measures/beats on this DAW starts with a 0 (Zero) and not with a 1.
All the sequencers —Software and Hardware— i have used in my life they all start with 1 and never with zero. Im not sure if im going keep learnin Renoise.
They don't really represent beats as such, they represent steps, which happen to align to something like a beat (or whatever you have the steps set to). I guess that of all the sequencers you've ever learned, none of them were trackers?

To not learn a tool for that reason would be silly.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

The counting has it's roots from the hexadecimal system which uses base 16 and counts from 0 to F (1 to 16). Full beats fall on 0, 10, 20, 30, 40 and so on which is actually a lot easier to work with than something like 0, 16, 32, 48, 64 etc in base 10 once you're used to it.

Rodhex wrote:I can't understand why the measures/beats on this DAW starts with a 0 (Zero) and not with a 1.
Think of the values as the 'distance' rather than the position.

01 is 1 value from the start. FF is 16 from the start. 00 IS the start.

No improvements to the Pattern Sequencer and Pattern Matrix? Clunkiest thing ever...

A very nice update in my opinion.

I will no doubt be happily, and frequently taking advantage of the newly added support for VST and AU MIDI generators.

scintillator wrote:No improvements to the Pattern Sequencer and Pattern Matrix? Clunkiest thing ever...
Can you elaborate?

Robert Randolph wrote:
Think of the values as the 'distance' rather than the position.

01 is 1 value from the start. FF is 16 from the start. 00 IS the start.
Well put.

dformd wrote:
scintillator wrote:No improvements to the Pattern Sequencer and Pattern Matrix? Clunkiest thing ever...
Can you elaborate?
Yes, sure, check out Buzz for the right way to do it.

Or to be more specific, pattern lengths - if it's shorter gets put in the beginning. if it's longer part of it gets cut, if you copy you create 'ghosts' or 'versions' IDK the right term, which is difficult to manage, etc. No overview of all pattern lanes you've made, which have numbers for names and get selected with up/down arrows (wtf!). Or, simply, you can't easily put what you want where you want it to be and have it stay there. With much work and concentration - yes of course, but that's typical of Renoise - do it the hard way or not at all.
Last edited by scintillator on Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

sorry, doublepost

I think you mean using matrix blocks (which are individual pattern tracks) with different lengths at the same time? While this isn't represented, possible, through longer or shorter matrix blocks (yet?), with phrases you can mix up patterns with different sizes just fine and then some.

As 3.1 is basically the latest redux vsti merged, the redux teaser shows phrases at work (1:35);

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-Xk9Ck64Ps

Hmmm, yes, but this is just making it more difficult by introducing another 'level' of control and more things to keep track of. (If we're talking song construction/arrangement.)
And those matrix squares are just meaningless little pictures - they give you no clue what's inside, unlike most other DAWs at project's top level.

So, as I said - clunky, there's a lot of room for improvement. But this could take years, or not happen at all. And you have no way of knowing what's the Plan, so... :roll: :shrug:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”