SPIRE - ALCHEMY - DUNE 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm curious if anyone has run into the same sort of issue as the following, and what they've done to fix it for each synth.

I am running an eight instance grouping of Spire, and one instance of Logic's Drummer (basic Boom Bap I believe-- just for some background, no special tweaking.)

I know Spire can be CPU hungry, and Logic is running at roughly 120% or so with the following inserts included, per channel:

--Channel EQ
--Compressor

I'm on an iMac Retina, 24GB RAM, and this hasn't been an issue, though can be given Spire's wiring (multithreading, etc.)

I switched all of the eight instances of Spire to Logic's Alchemy. Incredible results-- CPU down to 60-70%.

This is the clincher, however. Dune 2, which is marketed as plugin that isn't heavy-handed on your CPU, is seriously clocking as high as 350%. Some of the instances do have an inordinate number of voices going, say over 48, so I've tweaked each such that there's a max of 8 voices or so. Unfortunately, with some of the preset banks I've used, too, Dune doesn't remember the setting / patch chosen, so it defaults to the first of the lot (e.g. if I use one of Rob Lee's, it always defaults back to his first, ARP on 4 Guru, which has 5 Unison voices, but a total of 80 voices when all is said and done-- for the one instance. Multiply that by 8 and it's not plausible. There's not a lot of funky stuff (MSEG, other complex routings) going on, just the sheer number of voices.)

The simple solution would seem to be reducing the number of Unison voices / aggregate total voices per instance, and it works-- barely. The CPU drain goes from 300% or so down to just above Spire's level (100-130% give or take) -- even as high as 200%, once I nail each instance of Dune's setting such that it no longer defaults to the first patch on a bank. I've too noticed this only happens on some of those banks I have, not all.

I like Dune 2. It sounds awesome. I too like Spire. It sounds awesome.

I very much like Logic's Alchemy. Not only is it the most sophisticated, it is -- by far -- the least CPU hungry of the three. I haven't tried with Serum or Iris 2, but imagine similar results to either Dune 2 or Spire. I have already noted that both are relatively CPU hungry, sometimes quite so. Hive most likely would produce similar results to Alchemy, from my experience.

Everyone talks about Spire's crazy CPU hog-like nature, but Dune 2, if pushed, can be extraordinarily CPU hungry.

Has anyone else had this happen, or if not, ***what the heck am I doing wrong.***

I previously had Ozone 6 on the Master bus, but given it's CPU useage, I changed to TDR Kotelnikov-- and no linear EQ, just the basic channel EQ. I've even tried having the Master bare.

There are no sends as this was a practice run, no reverbs, no nothing other than Channel EQ, Logic's compressor (low CPU by design,) and TDR (also relatively low.)
* AKAI, KRK, UAD, Softube Vol 1, Soundtoys
* Live, Logic, Serum, Spire, Dune 2, Hive

Post any issues you have with DUNE 2 here:

http://forum.synapse-audio.com/
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Return to “Instruments”