[removed]

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Or something of that style, not sure really lol. That's at least what it was in my head when I composed it.

I'd really appreciate feedback on how good the mix is in particular, since last time I came with something that was my weak area.

Compositionally I would like to know what people think of the second main melody (probably most distinct at 4:01 when Rebirth's TB-303 emulation joins in unison with the main synth). I kind of considered this track to be an experimentation of sorts, being about 20 bpm faster than I usually work at and drawing on another style I've not tried yet and borrowing an idea or two from metal.

[removed]
Last edited by Katelyn on Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

first off let me say...ill listen to anything that says "psytrance/industrial"...please tag this with "psydustrial" on soundcloud...ive been trying to get that to stick. :wink:

ok...on to the rest. i thought this started off pretty interestingly...but for me, as it went on...i began to loose interest. my comments on the mix are kind of the same and probably related to my comments on the composition. that is..it seems a bit one dimensional. nothing really stands out to focus on and for me there wasnt enough movement for a track of that length.

i think maybe the parts all following along together made it difficult for you separate them in the mix. not sure if that made sense...and im bad at describing these things.

dont get me wrong...i like the premise...for me i just need some more evolving sounds and things to focus on.
ImageImageImage

chaosWyrM wrote:ok...on to the rest. i thought this started off pretty interestingly...but for me, as it went on...i began to loose interest. my comments on the mix are kind of the same and probably related to my comments on the composition. that is..it seems a bit one dimensional. nothing really stands out to focus on and for me there wasnt enough movement for a track of that length.
Ya, I was kind of afraid of that, but wasn't sure how to fix it other than where I put in the SH-101 and TB-303 emulations, hoover sound ect and other stuff like that moving differently in the back. I think that maybe I needed more of an evolution with the two main melodies but my attempts didn't seem to work as well as I wished.

I was trying to take cues from metal moreso than psytrance in my composition and I think that was my first main mistake. An earlier version was 4-5 minutes long, but something didn't feel right about it. Maybe trying to make it 'full length' was the second main mistake.

But I guess this is what the experimentation is about. I want to do something styled like this again but I think I'll need more evolution as you said.

chaosWyrM wrote:first off let me say...ill listen to anything that says "psytrance/industrial"...please tag this with "psydustrial" on soundcloud...ive been trying to get that to stick. :wink:
Alright, can't hurt to use the tag :)

This is the golden rule:

If all instruments/channels can be enjoyable when played solo then your work is OK.

Else, retry.

It's a long way...

Katelyn wrote:
chaosWyrM wrote:ok...on to the rest. i thought this started off pretty interestingly...but for me, as it went on...i began to loose interest. my comments on the mix are kind of the same and probably related to my comments on the composition. that is..it seems a bit one dimensional. nothing really stands out to focus on and for me there wasnt enough movement for a track of that length.
Ya, I was kind of afraid of that, but wasn't sure how to fix it other than where I put in the SH-101 and TB-303 emulations, hoover sound ect and other stuff like that moving differently in the back. I think that maybe I needed more of an evolution with the two main melodies but my attempts didn't seem to work as well as I wished.

I was trying to take cues from metal moreso than psytrance in my composition and I think that was my first main mistake. An earlier version was 4-5 minutes long, but something didn't feel right about it. Maybe trying to make it 'full length' was the second main mistake.

But I guess this is what the experimentation is about. I want to do something styled like this again but I think I'll need more evolution as you said.

chaosWyrM wrote:first off let me say...ill listen to anything that says "psytrance/industrial"...please tag this with "psydustrial" on soundcloud...ive been trying to get that to stick. :wink:
Alright, can't hurt to use the tag :)
i dont know...i wouldnt call them "mistakes". if thats what you want to do...then you should do it. just because your first try wasnt perfect...dont give up on the idea if its something you feel drawn to.

i rather like the concept, maybe it just needs some refinement.
ImageImageImage

Return to “Music Cafe”