Poor headphone output from Focusrite Saffire pro 14

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So basically I got some new AKG k712 pro headphones for mixing/mastering on...

However im really unimpressed with the headphone output from my focusrite saffire pro 14 interface... The bass distorts very easily just when the music is at that kind of sweet spot where the bass should be hitting nice and hard - it starts to fart....

I have tried the headphones via my pioneer DJM 750 mixer and the bass is punchy and highly satisfying through that so I know its not the headphones.

What gives? I thought focusrite make quality stuff?

Will a cheap headphone amp be a good choice to fix this do you think? I have seen some headphone amps and to be honest find many of them crazy overpriced!?

I used to have a Focusrite Saffire firewire interface. I never thought that the headphone output was loud enough, even when maxed. I thought about headphone amps, too, but ultimately the interface started making a loud screeching sound and it was too expensive to fix it.

Focusrite don't put much $$$ on phone outputs.

I had a Focusrite channelstrip - same thing, really. OK, for HD280, but crap for Beyerdynamic 880 or HD650.

Also the VRM box which is purely for phones out - they only state regular low ohm like HD280 as recommended. Asking more about what impedance they did not have an answer.

I have a Mackie mixer - and that I use for everything, just about, and it sounds better than anything built into other equipment - digital pianos, synths, organs....everything sounds stunning through the Mackie phone outs.

Focusrite preamps - good.
Phone outs - crap.

I use one of these fellas, you could just go SPDIF out of the saffire into it

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Decoder-DIR9001 ... 013HL9NVK/

Weird. I have a Scarlett 2i2 and there's nothing wrong with its outputs. Curious, because it's the cheapest Focusrite. It even fell on the floor once. Still there seems nothing wrong with it.

I have a pro40 and no problem here.

The AKG 7xx series of open backed cans are notoriously hard to drive, even though they have an impedance of only 64ohm ( I think) because of the design choices of the diaphragm ect it requires a fairly hefty output to run them at the sweet spot. My apogee duet also fails at running them properly.

I personally use the Matrix M Stage to amplify the signal as suggested by audiophile sites.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/matrix-m-stage

The upside is that IMO and many others that they are one of the better headphones to mix with if you must, I love my 702's.

Ichad.c wrote:I have a pro40 and no problem here.
Same here.
I have Sennheiser HD590 and Audio Technica M50 both are working fine.
Murderous duck!

maclean wrote: The bass distorts very easily just when the music is at that kind of sweet spot where the bass should be hitting nice and hard - it starts to fart....
Sweet spot is before farting, at least it was here, when I played some good mixed records, they don't fart, even if they seem loud and squashed, I used that farting as benchmark, so when it starts to fart, it's too much, but YMMV, probably I hit the nail in the head with specific old trusty cans :lol:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Thanks for all the fantastic input guys.

The only thing I’ll say to the guys that are saying no problems with their focusrite gear is that the focusrite interface has served me well when using akg k240 mkII headphones.... However it seems it doesn't have the minerals to push the higher end headphones low end at mixing volumes.

I think I will look into that cheap amp suggested by kohitsu.

afcollett Thanks for your useful input, however I didn't quite budget spending that kind of money on a headphone amp! TBH before buying these headphones I didn't actually know they existed! Although it looks like I need either a headphone amp or new interface so some further £££ needs to be dropped anyway!

Thanks guys.

Check this one. http://www.michalkaszczyszyn.com/en/tut ... ro_14.html
Even Focusrite confirmed that output on Saffire Pro 14 has phase issue on headphone output. I think the same output is used for 24 and 40

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”