I have no GAS. WTH???

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have some cash sitting in my PayPal account, yet I feel pretty content with everything I currently own, thus have no GAS at the moment. I think I'm pretty well set for most categories of synths and FX right now, so hardware is the only thing on my radar that I have any GAS feelings for. Even that is limited to Roland Boutiques, TB-3, TR-8, and the Beatstep Pro.

Anyone else go through periods like this??

DJMaytag wrote: Anyone else go through periods like this??
I'm also going through that now. I keep seeing all these great deals and, just when I think I'm going to pull the trigger, I think WTF do I need another [insert plugin type here] for? That PSP 608 deal last week is a perfect example. I've always liked that delay and $29 was an obscenely good deal, but I've already got a dozen or so delays and $29 can buy me something non-music-related that I don't have, or it can just sit in the bank until I need it. It's gonna make for an interesting Black Friday for me.

OTOH, I actually do have GAS, but it's for more camera gear, not music gear/software. :dog:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Same here, was thinking of splurging about 2 grand for black friday...now i sit and laugh at my self.
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

Yes my GAS has pretty much disappeared over the last year. It mostly went away for synths a couple years back but then I had it for sampled instruments for a while because that was a whole new thing as the quality of sample based instruments, orchestral libraries etc. have really improved over the last half decade or so. But that's gone now too. I've maintained a soft spot for simple vintage analog emulations, but now with Reaktor 6 blocks that seems to have come to an end.

At this point for me the only new area I'm interested in is the new wave of midi controllers like the Seaboard, the linnstrument, etc. These allow you to get more out of synths and instruments then you can from a normal controller. So whereas basic keyboards relied more on interesting sound design for electronic/experimental sound expression, these now give more expression like traditional instruments such as guitars. I never got tired of the way an acoustic guitar sounded. But in the plug-in world it would be just one preset! But it's one sound with lots of expression, endless in fact. Your playing can suite your mood with the same basic sound. Now that we are seeing the controllers get much more expression, I think they will make our chosen plug-ins feel more like instruments and reduce GAS even more possibly.

The challenge I face right now, is which controller(s) do I want? The linnstrument and the seaboards are the opposite of what I'd like - I'd like a small portable linstrument, less the half the size of what it is (like a launchpad sized linnstrument) and also a 5 octave seaboard rise (which is only 2 octaves currently. So one thing for 2 handed keyboard type layout and one little portable thing with a grid type layout but still more than 2 octaves (I think 64 pads for example would have about 3 and a half chromatically with guitar type layout). Although I haven't tried the seaboard grande, it's possible that might feel better than the rise for two handed playing.

Anyways that's all I really care about now is these cool new controllers and instruments that can make use of them.

cryophonik wrote:
DJMaytag wrote: Anyone else go through periods like this??
I'm also going through that now. I keep seeing all these great deals and, just when I think I'm going to pull the trigger, I think WTF do I need another [insert plugin type here] for? That PSP 608 deal last week is a perfect example. I've always liked that delay and $29 was an obscenely good deal, but I've already got a dozen or so delays and $29 can buy me something non-music-related that I don't have, or it can just sit in the bank until I need it. It's gonna make for an interesting Black Friday for me.

OTOH, I actually do have GAS, but it's for more camera gear, not music gear/software. :dog:
Yep. I've seen a lot of bargains, but I'm so happy with essentially completing the FabFilter range, getting the PSP Mixpack, and a couple other essential tools, that I don't think there's much that's better than what I have. If there is better, I'm sure it would cost $300 per plugin, and I'm not interested in THAT much of an upgrade.

For now, some workout getting is getting my attention, but I'm sure needing a new computer isn't far down the road too.

I need a desk (priorities right?) but i'm thinking Reaktor 6 upgrade and possibly Soundtoys and i'll be set. Don't need the distractions, they'll only slow me down.
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

I do have crossgrade & upgrade syndrome... I have an offer to get D16's Devastator (the only SIlverline plug I didn't want) for a nice price, an upgrade to FF's Pro-C2 (hoping BF/holiday sales lower that price!), and maybe upgrade Reason from 6.5.3 to 8 or 9 or wherever it'll be in December.

I guess D16's Nepheton is on my GAS list, but I had to think damn hard to find one thing I really want!

Yeah I keep looking at sales... looking at product videos... then backing off. There really just isn't anything I want. I go back to mangling my sounds with what I have. Still, they get me to look at them.

.doublepostdoubleposts for some weirdreason...thatis weird...

There are still things I want but nothing more I need......... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

It's kind of a nice feeling, knowing that you can rely more on production skills than plugins to sound decent.
:borg:

Come talk to us again on Friday lol

V0RT3X wrote:It's kind of a nice feeling, knowing that you can rely more on production skills than plugins to sound decent.
Ok get rid of all your plugins and see where your production skills get you......... :hihi:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote:
V0RT3X wrote:It's kind of a nice feeling, knowing that you can rely more on production skills than plugins to sound decent.
Ok get rid of all your plugins and see where your production skills get you......... :hihi:
ok sure, what do i do with all the NFR stuff i have?

And can i just keep one? :hihi:

Still though it's not impossible for someone to just use their DAW and make decent stuff. I often wish i could just get rid of all my plugins except Reaktor and make some money back on my sales so i can buy a nice pair of monitors.

I have stuff that i won in the charity auction that I can't give away, and a few vendors such as Little Endian & Accsone absolutely refuse to let me sell my licence to someone else.

I suppose if i did go with this 1 plugin and DAW route i would have to accept the fact there is going to be a lot of money pissed down the drain and just back the stuff i can't sell onto a USB jumpdrive and store it away.

I know keeping Reaktor is kind of cheating, but i still find that it's the one plugin that never ceases to amaze me.
Last edited by V0RT3X on Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
:borg:

It just nothing to want. I have them all. I got Iris and Falcon recently, Sample Logic new release... Otherwise- nothing happening. I dont expect anything exciting to be released on Friday. Ok- I want one thing. I want Lacrimosa by 8Dio- the choir. And it is on sale. And I almost bought it. But it is still too much for me. So I went and bought 8 TB back up hard drive. I ran out of space on 3rd backup hard drive. I also want another SSD because I dont like to store my samples on HDD, but I used all ports on my computer and had to go with HDD or turn myself in rehab. So I saw these cool new 1 TB SSDs by OCZ... Almost bought one- had to drag myself away from computer...

Return to “Instruments”