Dynamics explained with the Oscilloscope

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've seen a lot of tutorials about compressors/expanders, transient control but they never show the result visually.
I can't trust nor my ears, headphones, and speakers, so i rely purely on theory and visualizers.

I'd be VERY happy if someone makes a video tutorial on the topic, using only Bitwig tools AND the Oscilloscope.
Especially on Kicks and snares, my main issue :dog:

Wickiemedis has the best visual tutorials :) remember it was he who i learned basic compressor from! Great share i forgot about him
desktop: windows 10 x64, i5 4690k, 32gb ram 1600mhz, 2x ssd 128 gb +2x3 tb, asus gtx 970, asus proz gamer motherboard, no external audiocard
laptop: windows 10 x64, i7 mq4700, 12gb ram 1600mhz, 1 tb, asus gt 750

THANKS!!! :cry:

I've never seen this chan, a lot of homework for me!
One of the best i know and want to share here is MixbusTV:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mixbustv/v ... &flow=grid

David Boura wrote:THANKS!!! :cry:

I've never seen this chan, a lot of homework for me!
One of the best i know and want to share here is MixbusTV:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mixbustv/v ... &flow=grid
Ah cool thanks for your share. btw wickiemedia is one of the most best to learn compressor and basic stuff but for seeing mixing in work i recommend "the pro audio files" with david glenn, he is great. He is a professional mixing engineer. you have also the channel the recording revolution with Graham Cochrane. Compaired to the other he is very focused on budget mixing with using what you got and he doesnt say his way is better but is a down to earth guy who say dont spend what you dont got.
Then you have Pensado's Place with Dave Pensado who is recogniced as the god father of mixing from many professional whole time producers. Check out his channel, he has a couple of series where he interview producers who have been producing rihanna and stuff. really valuble.

Also if you are into electronic music
check out adsrcourses.com and right now they have timelimited offer to get their courses for 9 dollars a month. Seems like much but they have some of the pro audio files NOT FREE courses which cost 67 dollars and stuff. And a lot more. Look for echo sound works tutorial there if you are into sounddesign. he really know what he is doing.

Then you have another great channel which as adsrcourses.com cost money per month for unlimited acces is sonicacademy.com. They are great if you wana learn to make a specific genre! If you are in there look for echo sound works how to make main room progressive house and also look for 7 skies tutorials. They are really gold.

Dont have to do any of these! Just tips! :) I know the pay sites might be scary but have often a lot more information and better then youtube.

but nothing beats the compressor tutorials he linked for compressor :)
desktop: windows 10 x64, i5 4690k, 32gb ram 1600mhz, 2x ssd 128 gb +2x3 tb, asus gtx 970, asus proz gamer motherboard, no external audiocard

Thanks again for your help, pretty much ultra-mega-hyper appreciated!

I think i have enough for the rest of my life :D

fabfilter official videos also good ones, the pro-c are the compressor related ones

https://www.youtube.com/user/fabfilter/videos
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

It seems some of you are in the need of hugs :hihi:

xbitz wrote:fabfilter official videos also good ones, the pro-c are the compressor related ones

https://www.youtube.com/user/fabfilter/videos
Yeah to learn fabfilter plugins they have their own tutorial and i think they do their plugin better than any other =)

Agree, but Pro-C Eq is too much heavy for my today computer, especially in Linear mode.
Not to talk about my inexistant budget, that's why i stick with what i've got ;)

David Boura wrote:Agree, but Pro-C Eq is too much heavy for my today computer, especially in Linear mode.
Not to talk about my inexistant budget, that's why i stick with what i've got ;)
Linear Phase is not meant for use in mixing. it adds a lot of latency. Pro q 2 maximum setting i think is 1.5 seconds latency. But how to use it effecienty could be to lowcut your precussion and use maximum settings. bounce out track and remove the other. That way you keep as much of the original phase as possible. With normal eq cut and stuff you change a lot of the waveshape phase.

Ok, so this is not my computer? Around 1.5 sec delay is what i effectively noticed.
Maybe you know Redline EQ, it has linear phase mode, and is way lighter. From my tests here and users feedbacks, it's a very good one.
The best solution i found for me nowadays.

David Boura wrote:Ok, so this is not my computer? Around 1.5 sec delay is what i effectively noticed.
Maybe you know Redline EQ, it has linear phase mode, and is way lighter. From my tests here and users feedbacks, it's a very good one.
The best solution i found for me nowadays.
Yeah but the reason for that delay is actually also very great result at end. Linear phase is often for mastering.

I found a trick that works for me with fabfilter pro q. I use minimum phase and eq as i want. Switch to linear maximum phase and bounce it out. But i only do this for sub, kick snare and clap :) after bounce it sounds more powerful and punchy than with minimum phase but i manage to eq it correctly using minimum phase :) and zooming in i can tell the phase replication is superb no wonder that latency. It says 1.5 sec in manual so its not your computer.

Ill check that plugin out! Thanks! I hope bitwig can introduce different algorythm in their eq and one that is linear :)

Interesting explanations!

About phasing & linear stuff, i just know about it because i noticed my waveforms loose their "bottom" when i Eq.
I didn't really study that thing for the moment ;)

David Boura wrote:Interesting explanations!

About phasing & linear stuff, i just know about it because i noticed my waveforms loose their "bottom" when i Eq.
I didn't really study that thing for the moment ;)
Read here about possitve aspects and negative for both forms of eq Minimum Vs liner phase.

http://theproaudiofiles.com/linear-phas ... -phase-eq/

This is also why i recomend the pro audio files as in their videos or just watching the free on youtube. You get knowledge and beyond :) There are more of great sites

Return to “Bitwig”