Hardware Instrument: having troubles

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,

I've been beating my head against this for a while, if somebody could give me some tips it would be helpful. I'm trying to use the hardware instrument device to play sounds through external MIDI keyboards, but I"m having no results.

I've confirmed that my external instruments are accepting input by using the test Audio/Midi feature in OSX, and I've got a soundcard that blinks lights on midi signals, but no matter where i send the MIDI from bitwig, I can't get any sound or light or signal... I'm forced to conclude that it's not sending the MIDI information, but I can't figure out why. Is there anything else I should need to do?

Thanks for any suggestions.

What kind of midi device are you trying to use? Do you have a controller script set up for it in the Bitwig preferences? I assume the track you're trying to play midi on is record armed?

It's an external keyboard (Korg). I don't have a controller script set up for either of them - do I need to do that? The track is armed, and i've thrown some MIDI notes in there to make sure. If i drop another device in there it sounds off, but nothing with the hardware device.

Edit: sorry, I do have generic controllers set up and listed under controllers, if that's what you mean.

Well you have to have a controller set up in the preferences to get Bitwig to receive midi notes from a controller. For my keyboard I just use Toms Generic Midi Keyboard. It's pretty easy to setup in Preferences -> Controllers (I don't have my laptop on me or I'd make a screenshot).

Also, if you make a clip and throw notes in there it should play them on the hardware instrument. Does this work?

It didn't, but after I went into controllers and auto-detected, it started working, even though it didn't find anything. I'm not sure if this is a bug or as designed, but in either case, thanks a ton for your help!

Return to “Bitwig”