[ninjam] A funky little number

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here is another recent jam, cleaned up and mixed (with a fair bit of editing).
20151129-1418-edit01-pljones-Doublebass-Magnus
I'm playing ns_kit7 Funk Kit (the snare and kick are distinctly different from the Rock Kit). I tried adding some effects but eventually left it as dry as it was in the jam with some additional compression and level adjustment. I really need to work hard on getting a funky feel against a click. I'm also over-playing for my ability... Just relax... :)

Doublebass has the bass loop running and is playing keys. I cleaned up (noise removal, compression, levels) and low-/high-pass filtered then panned to keep space.

Magnus is on trumpet. Lots of noise reduction and painstaking editing as he's on a mic. I left a cough in :). Also compression, levels, low-/high-pass filtered then panned.

Once I had clean stems, the track sounded pretty good but I'd immediately thought of a couple of changes I'd like, even whilst playing. I dropped to just a ride hit at one point -- Magnus hadn't been playing but he'd then had a phrase later on I'd thought would go in nicely, so that got done (first quieter). Then later on, Doublebass dropped out and I was drumming along to the backing track on my own... so I brought an earlier section of Magnus's playing in again.

The ninbot automix - without all the extra edits - is here for comparison (from about 4:44 to about 9:55)
20151129_0903-Doublebass-Magnus-pljones
How do I tell KVR that's not a direct link so not to wrap it in the player?
Last edited by pljones on Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Enjoyed this - an nice bit of relaxed lounge music. Thanks for the info about how you put it together.

I'd sort of forgotten about Ninjam. It can be a lot of fun.
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

Thanks for the comment. Yeah, ninjam's a great way to get to play with other people more or less live, which I wouldn't be able to do otherwise. (Unlike most other ways, it completely avoids network latency but you need to accept the interval.)

Return to “Music Cafe”