Roland jd xa. Anyone got it yet?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is down to $2500 in Australia. That seems like awesome value for what you get. It sounds tops in demos. Anyone got one and want to weigh in?

Nope, still lusting after it. The closest Guitar Center/Sam Ash is over an hour away and neither of them have it in stock, so until I actually play one, I'm keeping my gear lust in check. For now...

dcfac73 wrote:This is down to $2500 in Australia. That seems like awesome value for what you get. It sounds tops in demos. Anyone got one and want to weigh in?
In all honesty, I think you'd be better off buying some other Roland ROMpler, like an XV-5050 and an Analog Four.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I own bot and Analog Four and a JD-XA (sold my Integra-7) so I can honestly state that the A4 plus a Rompler isn't the better option for various reasons. the JD-XA also has a Midi CTRL mode which makes it a killer controller for your DAW as well with all knobs and sliders being freely CC assignable for use with any plug ins you own.

I could go on but here is a track I wrote on my new album that uses the TR8, Analog Four and Microtonic for percussion with ALL SYNTH SOUNDS being 100% JD-XA. So it should gibe you a great idea of how it sounds in a mix.

https://soundcloud.com/venndiagram/jitter

All sounds use the Analog Engine on its own or cross modulated with the digital engine (i.e.: digital engine cross modulating analog oscillators and being fed through the same analog filter) and/or audio rate LFO's doing filter fm or audio rate fm on the analog oscillators for some of the drones and sweeps.
Last edited by FaX on Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Links to other media sites and contact details are available at the bottom of my artists website.

http://venndiagram.ca

I don't play or record much lately, been doing various audio and programming recreational experiments. So I don't need to get any more synths until I start using them more often.

Imagining solely about bang for buck, PERHAPS roland FA-06 + DSI Tetra. I don't regret getting an FA-06. Inexpensive, good rompler features, and quite fun VA synthesis unless a fella lusts after numerous knobs to twist. Hadn't paid much attention to tetra, but recently listened to lots of youtube videos and it sounds real good to me, "mostly analog" four voice signal path.

USA prices, an FA-06 + Tetra would be less expensive than JD XA and possibly have wider sound palette. FA-06 probably at least matches the rompler and VA capabilities of theJD XA, and judging by the demos alone, the Tetra might sound better than the JD XA analog section. In addition to possibly sounding fatter with a wider sound palette, the Tetra has advantage of not sounding like a roland synth. The Roland VA seems "pretty close" to Roland analog, so an FA-06 can fairly well substitute for many roland type analog aounds. Tetra doesn't sound much at all like roland analog as far as I can tell.

Just ignorant daydreaming/window shopping. Am not advocating anyone's purchase decisions.

I read that the tetra will be discontinued. If that is true, then maybe if a fella would want to buy a new Tetra, then this would be the time before new inventory dries up. I'm almost tempted. Wouldn't mind having a bigger DSI p08, p12, or p06, but am too cheap to spend that kind of money unless I was using it near daily.

FaX wrote:I own bot and Analog Four and a JD-XA (sold my Integra-7) so I can honestly state that the A4 plus a Rompler isn't the better option for various reasons. the JD-XA also has a Midi CTRL mode which makes it a killer controller for your DAW as well with all knobs and sliders being freely CC assignable for use with any plug ins you own.

I could go on but here is a track I wrote on my new album that uses the TR8, Analog Four and Microtonic for percussion with ALL SYNTH SOUNDS being 100% JD-XA. So it should gibe you a great idea of how it sounds in a mix.

All sounds use the Analog Engine on its own or cross modulated with the digital engine (i.e.: digital engine cross modulating analog oscillators and being fed through the same analog filter) and/or audio rate LFO's doing filter fm or audio rate fm on the analog oscillators for some of the drones and sweeps.
Nothing wrong with that track, but if you told me you made it with Zebra, I'd believe you. I honestly have not heard anything form the JD-Xa that seems better or different than hardware.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote:
FaX wrote:I own bot and Analog Four and a JD-XA (sold my Integra-7) so I can honestly state that the A4 plus a Rompler isn't the better option for various reasons. the JD-XA also has a Midi CTRL mode which makes it a killer controller for your DAW as well with all knobs and sliders being freely CC assignable for use with any plug ins you own.

Nothing wrong with that track, but if you told me you made it with Zebra, I'd believe you. I honestly have not heard anything form the JD-Xa that seems better or different than hardware.

To be honest with you I think that is more testament to how good certain plug ins are than how bad certain hardware is.
I've heard DIVA demo's I'd pit against the OBX, Juno, Jupiter and Monarch sounds better than a Slim Phatty in many instances I've heard also.
It was one example of a track made using the synth.
In all reality you probably wouldn't have thought the majority of the beats where done on the Analog Four either.
What you do get is a tactile hands on interface and easily Rolnd's best synth since the V-Synth IMHO.
I have done a few demo's elsewhere that people swore was the SH-2, MC202 and a 101 in combination.
It also sits very well in a mix and is a glorious pad machine.
Saying it sounds like Zebra really isn't a low shot - Zebra still needs a computer, controller, sound card and the rest to work like it does and Jans Zimmer used the damn thing on The Dark Knight Soundtrack.
I still don't think an A4 and Rompler will do exactly what the XA does (especially when you start cross modulating and/or ring modulating both engines( and feeding them through the same filter and effects signal path.
It is a very "modern sounding" analog/hybrid but if you listened to rest of the material on the album I wonder (in the context of a produced and mastered mix) if you could pick the MS20, Microbrute, Phenol, Analog Four, JD-XA, V-Synth, Modular drum samples programmed on a friend system etc from similar bits and pieces created in good quality software either.
Relatively speaking the end difference between ITB & OTB is marginal these days and there are some incredibly well coded and great sounding virtual instruments out there. I just generally prefer working with hardware and keeping my DAW for Sampling . Sample Payback, granular processing and multitrack recording duties.
I know that isn't always a popular line to take these days but I have never been one to really show a preferred bias for analog over digital in general. I just prefer working with physical hands on tools.
Links to other media sites and contact details are available at the bottom of my artists website.

JCJR wrote:USA prices, an FA-06 + Tetra would be less expensive than JD XA and possibly have wider sound palette. FA-06 probably at least matches the rompler and VA capabilities of theJD XA, and judging by the demos alone, the Tetra might sound better than the JD XA analog section. In addition to possibly sounding fatter with a wider sound palette, the Tetra has advantage of not sounding like a roland synth. The Roland VA seems "pretty close" to Roland analog, so an FA-06 can fairly well substitute for many roland type analog aounds. Tetra doesn't sound much at all like roland analog as far as I can tell.
I think it's matter of taste. JV, VX, FA etc sound close to each other but 1080 is rougher and I prefer it over slicker FA sound (at least by demos). Rack versions cost really cheap.

Totally agree that XA analog section is made for marketing and not for music.

But, in general, why limit to such an unstable company as Roland (it's famous for abandoning products) when there are tons of VSTs with more features, better sound, proper support, advanced editing capabilities.

What, except mindless GAS, should make person think about buying JDX*. When there are so many better options.
FaX wrote: What you do get is a tactile hands on interface and easily Roland's best synth since the V-Synth IMHO.
What exactly in that particular clip is "hands on interface" defendant? (upd: not dissing your piece, just curious)
XA is still not 1 knob per function, XI even worse - on Tetr4 level i.e. below Pulse or MicroKorg.
Murderous duck!

david.beholder wrote:
JCJR wrote: What, except mindless GAS, should make person think about buying JDX*. When there are so many better options.
I think that's a massive projection.
I used the Integra 7 daily and wanted a tool that didn't rely on a computer editor for daily work.
Is that reason enough especially when I was largely using the SN-S engine in it and I get full hands on control in a synth that gets me away from the computer.
The synth can sound remarkably like a Juno, JX Series, SH series analog, does some really nice synthetic percussion (if you want to program it from scratch) and a none to shabby sounding CS styled synth.
It excels at ambient and pad sounds as well, does not ship with a load of presets and is by in large a programmers synth.
I've used a lot of Roland gear over the past 20 odd years including JV's, JD990's, D50's and certain Juno models and prefer the sound of this to the Mopho X4, SubPhatty, Microbrute, MS20 Mini, SlimPhatty and even the original model Leipzig I used to use extensively.
Everyone else I know that owns one is happy with theirs as well.
How many better option "hybrids" are there on the market ?
In Canada a Pro2 or Pro12 are over $1200 to $1500 more ditto the P6 and an A4 keys is around the same price.

david.beholder wrote:
JCJR wrote:USA prices, an FA-06 + Tetra would be less expensive than JD XA and possibly have wider sound palette. FA-06 probably at least matches the rompler and VA capabilities of theJD XA, and judging by the demos alone, the Tetra might sound better than the JD XA analog section. In addition to possibly sounding fatter with a wider sound palette, the Tetra has advantage of not sounding like a roland synth. The Roland VA seems "pretty close" to Roland analog, so an FA-06 can fairly well substitute for many roland type analog aounds. Tetra doesn't sound much at all like roland analog as far as I can tell.
I think it's matter of taste. JV, VX, FA etc sound close to each other but 1080 is rougher and I prefer it over slicker FA sound (at least by demos). Rack versions cost really cheap.

Totally agree that XA analog section is made for marketing and not for music.

But, in general, why limit to such an unstable company as Roland (it's famous for abandoning products) when there are tons of VSTs with more features, better sound, proper support, advanced editing capabilities.

What, except mindless GAS, should make person think about buying JDX*. When there are so many better options.
FaX wrote: What you do get is a tactile hands on interface and easily Roland's best synth since the V-Synth IMHO.
What exactly in that particular clip is "hands on interface" defendant? (upd: not dissing your piece, just curious)
XA is still not 1 knob per function, XI even worse - on Tetr4 level i.e. below Pulse or MicroKorg.
Well that bass, the leads, fm pads etc where all tracked live as overdubs and not sequenced.
All JD-XA modulations where tweaked in realtime, ditto mod wheel controls, effects assigned to mod delays, tweaking of adsr's, filter envelopes etc etc..... The only things traditionally sequenced in that track are the TR8, Analog Four and Microtonic (all of which do drums) and even the TR8 was jammed on live over the top.

I don't go asking other people to defend their working methods or why they use what they use so really why the hell should I feel compelled to do the same ?

Just to appease your own perception bias ?

FaX wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:

To be honest with you I think that is more testament to how good certain plug ins are than how bad certain hardware is.
I've heard DIVA demo's I'd pit against the OBX, Juno, Jupiter and Monarch sounds better than a Slim Phatty in many instances I've heard also.
In all reality you probably wouldn't have thought the majority of the beats where done on the Analog Four either.
What you do get is a tactile hands on interface and easily Rolnd's best synth since the V-Synth IMHO.
I have done a few demo's elsewhere that people swore was the SH-2, MC202 and a 101 in combination.
Saying it sounds like Zebra really isn't a low shot - Zebra still needs a computer, controller, sound card and the rest to work like it does and Jans Zimmer used the damn thing on The Dark Knight Soundtrack.
I still don't think an A4 and Rompler will do exactly what the XA does (especially when you start cross modulating and/or ring modulating both engines( and feeding them through the same filter and effects signal path.
It is a very "modern sounding" analog/hybrid but if you listened to rest of the material on the album I wonder (in the context of a produced and mastered mix) if you could pick the MS20, Microbrute, Phenol, Analog Four, JD-XA, V-Synth, Modular drum samples programmed on a friend system etc from similar bits and pieces created in good quality software either.
Relatively speaking the end difference between ITB & OTB is marginal these days and there are some incredibly well coded and great sounding virtual instruments out there. I just generally prefer working with hardware and keeping my DAW for Sampling . Sample Payback, granular processing and multitrack recording duties.
I know that isn't always a popular line to take these days but I have never been one to really show a preferred bias for analog over digital in general. I just prefer working with physical hands on tools.
Right, I agree with all of that... but at even an $1800 price point... I just don't hear it. Yeah, hands on is nice but for me I need to hear something significantly "better" than what I've heard. I'd buy a Prophet 6 module long before I'd get the JD-Xa. To me I hear the difference between it and say Profit 5 or ProTone. (not enough to actually get one, but I hear it)

That's me though. I don't need a synth to be super knobby. My Prophet 12 had the best interface of any synth I ever owned and I got rid of it when space became tight. Ultimately I just didn't think it had the sound quality I wanted. I'm happy running Omnisphere 2 and using my trackball/Novation for editing. By Christmas I should have my iPad helping things along.
Zerocrossing Media

zerocrossing wrote:
FaX wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:

Right, I agree with all of that... but at even an $1800 price point... I just don't hear it. Yeah, hands on is nice but for me I need to hear something significantly "better" than what I've heard. I'd buy a Prophet 6 module long before I'd get the JD-Xa. To me I hear the difference between it and say Profit 5 or ProTone. (not enough to actually get one, but I hear it)

That's me though. I don't need a synth to be super knobby. My Prophet 12 had the best interface of any synth I ever owned and I got rid of it when space became tight. Ultimately I just didn't think it had the sound quality I wanted. I'm happy running Omnisphere 2 and using my trackball/Novation for editing. By Christmas I should have my iPad helping things along.

That's a reasonable response but the P6 didn't really float my boat sound wise - I find the XA sits better in the mix with my Elektron Kit (which isn't to say the P6 isn't a nice synth).
I adore the P12 though - stunning sounding synth but I wanted something that could replace my Integra-7 & Alpha Juno and get me a sound in the same ball park sound wise.
I love mine and find it hugely inspiring but no single synth is for everyone.
For me it is a rather good fit.

FaX wrote: Well that bass, the leads, fm pads etc where all tracked live as overdubs and not sequenced.
All JD-XA modulations where tweaked in realtime, ditto mod wheel controls, effects assigned to mod delays, tweaking of adsr's, filter envelopes etc etc..... The only things traditionally sequenced in that track are the TR8, Analog Four and Microtonic (all of which do drums) and even the TR8 was jammed on live over the top.

I don't go asking other people to defend their working methods or why they use what they use so really why the hell should I feel compelled to do the same ?

Just to appease your own perception bias ?
Everything is bias except strict logic, you know.

Let me elaborate a bit.

If you ask me what gear used in your demo my answer would be "zebra" (serum, codex, dune, put your own favorite vst) and "ableton drum rack". It's rare case when people with such different opinions like I and Zerocrossing are agree that there is nothing in XA that sounds new, attractive or distinctive since early demos up to today.

Then I'm asking what XA is bringing in your workflow because I'm failing to hear it. And it's not "attacking your working methods or why they use what", but it's like "you're doing something and I don't hear it, why?".

p.s. fact about myself: I've heard all releases of Warp recs from WAP1 to 2005
FaX wrote: I adore the P12 though - stunning sounding synth but I wanted something that could replace my Integra-7 & Alpha Juno and get me a sound in the same ball park sound wise.
In Hardware?
Murderous duck!

Yes - the JD-XA and the Integra both has the SN-S Engine (Identical implementation) and I wanted something that could work as both a replacement and a good controller for what hardware and software I use.
In controller mode the whole XA front panel can be configures to end out CC's so I can put it to good use with Tassman, Aalto, the Analog 4 and Monomachine.
If you don't find the sound anything you'd like I don't have an issue with that, not all synths are for everybody.
That actually isn't a demo but a track on a full album it just happened to only use the XA for all synth parts (the only track that does) but I digress.
The XA's LP3 (low pass 3 analog filter is actually rather unique sounding ) but not used here and it can do some really lovely cross mod stuff that sounds quite different to my V-Synth.
It does have a very smooth modern sound but can sound raw also if needs be and slots into a mix easily.
I was looking for a synth that sounded like a cross between the Integra, JX / Juno series Roland's and the JP8080 / JD990 so for me it was a no brainer purchase.
If you want more vintage sounding analog look elsewhere - it is for all intents and purposes a hybrid digital/analog and sounds like it.
I like what it brings to the table in my studio and it was by no means purchased on a whim or gas induced purchase.

yes. got it. love it :tu:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”