avira free alternative

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

so, ive been using avira free for a couple of years...and its pretty good. buuuuttttt...i really cant stand it once i need to actually do stuff with it. as long as its just doing its thing in the background its cool...but any time i want to run a scan or anything that requires actually using the launcher i just want to smash my face against a wall.

its so slooow and cumbersome....it hangs for minutes at a time...its generally unresponsive...i really hate using it.

so with that in mind i figured its been a while since i looked at av software...before avira i was using avast...and it seems theres a few new players on the field now.

im using win 7 x64 and important things to me are:

configurable (let me decide what happens and how)
effective but not overly aggressive (false positives really irk me)
wont bog down my system (not that worried about this)

thats about it. i dont really need an entire suite...i have a firewall im happy with, i dont need all sorts of identity protection and email protection and whatnot...just take care of my computer. i do realize however that most things come as a suite now...so as long as i can turn stuff off its fine if its there.

the main contenders ive found is qihoo 360...and panda free. with those two kind of going back and forth on various websites.

i realize avira is still widely considered the best over all choice...but i dont mind a slight downgrade if it means a superior user experience.

is anyone able to give a direct user comparison between avira, qihoo, and panda?

thnx in advance.
ImageImageImage

I use avast! Free antivirus.. ..no issues.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

murnau wrote:I use avast! Free antivirus.. ..no issues.
yeah...thats what i was using before avira...i finally couldnt handle absurd amount of false positives it was giving me and switched. maybe its better now?
ImageImageImage

Take a look at this:
http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html

I like it.

chaosWyrM wrote:
yeah...thats what i was using before avira...i finally couldnt handle absurd amount of false positives it was giving me and switched. maybe its better now?
Dunno but i never had one.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Seastream wrote:Take a look at this:
http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html

I like it.
yeah...non configurable...though the use of the bd engine was one of the reasons i was considering qihoo.
ImageImageImage

Yes, not much of configuration here, but the few times i got problems running certain exe-files bitdefender let me configure it to allow the file and then it´s all good. Nothing like false positives here. I have used it for about 18 months now.

well after doing a bit more research...i think im going to try qihoo. it still uses the bd engine (along with others) and seems pretty configurable.

ive been running a scan with avira for the past 2+ hours and its only at 10%. a little digging shows a lot of people complaining about the glacier like speed these scans have.

i think panda is out...considering ive seen that it auto quarantines files (with no way to change that behavior)...which you then have to restore if you want them...and that function seems to be a bit broken.

if i dont like qihoo...i can always try something else...or go back to avira.
ImageImageImage

chaosWyrM wrote:
Tbh, i experienced that with Avira. Apart from, as you say, that it's ridiculously slow, and also booted me from games to the desktop with yet another shitty notification. Like murnau, i use Avast now since a couple of years. Can't complain really. The only thing annoying me is that it blocks me from downloading music from Google Play, unless i turn off the protection, and that it hinders Nvidia Geforce Experience to start up, that's only when i updated it though, on system boot, obviously, Geforce Experience starts before Avast, so it's no problem. It's quite aggressive regarding program starts, i also had an installer which failed because Avast was running. But i guess that's the price you have to pay with protection, that it sometimes hinders valid programs or processes. All in all, i'm quite content though. And it's supposed to have the best detecion rate from all free antiviruses, at least from what i read.

Avast is the fastest I've found in recent years in terms of the freebie scanners,
just untick -everything- when installing (asides from the file shield if you want it) and use scheduled scans, for performance reasons.

ive been using the qihoo 360...so far so good.
ImageImageImage

If you're a good boy, the built-in scanner of Windows will suffice.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”