i need a new mouse...mx master?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

so, yeah i need a new mouse.

ive been using a logitech mx revolution since they came out in '06, not the same one...im on my 2nd...so you could say that im happy with it. but as these things happen...its beginning to fail on me...double clicks and such.

so ive been thinking of just breaking down and getting the mx master, which has quite good reviews indeed. i can pick up a factory refurbished one from my local microcenter for 75 bucks (brand new one is 100)

oooorrrrrr

i could get another used revolution from ebay for around 50.

i kind of dont want an mx master. i dont really like the new thumb wheel, or the button layout, or the fact that its bluetooth only, or the sketchy new software to assign functions...but i also kind of dont want to keep getting used mice with ever shorter life spans because theyre older when i get them. my first one lasted me 6 years...this one just 4 (had to get it used since theyve been discontinued since 2010).

so, has anyone out there used both the revolution and the master and can compare?

or anyone out there want to chime in on if they think its worth it to buy the mouse i already know is the best mouse ever conceived by man or god, even if its not going to last very long, or if i should just suck it up and get used to a sad shabby shadow of a replacement?
ImageImageImage

I picked up a G502 Proteus Core and i really like it,you can get it around 50 bucks.
Mice are personal preferences but i love the free running mouse wheel and it can store 3 preset internally without the need to run the software.
Depending on the used monitor you can switch the presets on the fly.
In Windows i run it on higher dpi,lowered the pointer speed and enabled the "Enhance pointer precision".
|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

thanks, but a new MX master or a used MX revolution are the only 2 I'll consider.

the proteus core might be good, but its not what I need/want. its not wireless, only has 1 scroll wheel, and doest have nearly enough buttons.

:edit:

seems it does actually have enough buttons.
ImageImageImage

well, i decided to just get the mx master...figuring that if i hate it i can return it and then get a used revolution.

i know i should use it for a week or so at least...but i have to say...this thing SUUUUCKS.

its not so much the mouse thats bad (though i its not good), but the just god awful logitech options software.

its like set point for dummies (set point being the software the revolution uses). and even that i could work around...except there are basic functions missing. theres no pointer acceleration...and more importantly theres no scroll speed adjustments.

witht he revolution...you could click scroll...or flick the wheel to engage free scrolling, and the software would recognize different speeds and scroll accordingly.

now its either a click (where you cant even define the number of steps a click is) or its a free scroll...that still only scrolls at the same speed. so sure...you can flick it hard to scroll all the way down to the bottom of a long document...but youll have to sit there and wait for it, and watch as the page slooowly scrolls by.

AND...on top of that...theres no control. if you flick it to engage free scrolling...and then stop the wheel...the page just keeps scrolling. the revolution/set point stops on a dime.

ugh. complete and utter fail.

how is it possible that the "new" hardware/software is so much worse than the 10 year old version?

ok ok...ill just breathe...give this thing a week...and decide then. but i think a return and an ebay purchase are in my near future.
ImageImageImage

I've always been a fan of track balls. The Kensington Expert Mouse (which isn't a mouse at all) is my favorite. Feels great in your hand and you can pretend to be playing Mrs Pacman.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote:I've always been a fan of track balls. The Kensington Expert Mouse (which isn't a mouse at all) is my favorite. Feels great in your hand and you can pretend to be playing Mrs Pacman.
mrs pacman? i think maybe you mean centipede?

lol...i know a few people who like them, but a trackball aint for me.
ImageImageImage

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”