Formant Filter in Mux?

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi fokls,

is there a formant filter available in the mux? Or do I have to use samples for generating voice like sounds? A filter would be nice if it could do morphing between different vowels.

And how about a comb filter for simulating resonant bodies?

Here is a (quite old) Talking Wah patch.
You can do Bon Jovi - Living on a prayer with it :)

Inspired from a similar thing in GuitarRig.

You could copy it's content inside a polysynth. The main 'secret' is in the parameters changed with the 'Mouth Size' meta param. That needs to be integrated.

If you want to roll your own:
Following the 3 base BP setups for vowels in Hz (bandwith/resonance settings can be relevant)
"ee" = 207, 2300, 3000
"a" 660, 1700, 2400
"u" 640, 1200, 2400
"e" 530, 1850, 2500
"i" 400, 2000, 2550
"oo" 300, 870, 2250
If anyone is able to get the above list (full, or partly) in one knob, I request a share of the setup.
Good luck!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Is it the same one as the one in Factory Effects ?
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

As for the comb filter, it can only be done as a monophonic setup.
The polysynth does not support a delay.

So the basic comb filter is this
Comb filter.jpg
Keep the delay time short and moduate it as required.
Try negative and positve (high) feedback, as they sound different.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bibz1st wrote:Is it the same one as the one in Factory Effects ?
It is!
I wasn't aware.

Thanks for posting your stuff Andreas,

but I didn't manage to see the Talking Waah in the front panel of the Mux. (I put the file into the library folder - where all the other xx.mux files are - but it doesn't show up in the preset list when opening the Mux.)
What's gone wrong?

By the way - I'd like to see something like a "terrain formant filter" in a future release with a vector pad included where the four directions represent the vowels "a", "e", "o" and "u". So one could morph between the vowels by dragging the mouse on the pad (or a vector pad on a master keyboard).

And a comb filter mode added to the multimode filter wouldn't be too bad either.

What do you think?

DIGIFEX wrote:Thanks for posting your stuff Andreas,

but I didn't manage to see the Talking Waah in the front panel of the Mux. (I put the file into the library folder - where all the other xx.mux files are - but it doesn't show up in the preset list when opening the Mux.)
What's gone wrong?
Did you extract it first, no good just dragging the mux from the zip, just a thought.

Yes you can drag-drop a mux preset file directly from a zip onto a rack slot, mux editor, [+] track button, [+] rack button, ...

But note that, when using the Mac finder/Windows explorer, if you drop it in your user library folder, then you need to also delete the MuxPresetFileCache.MuData in that folder otherwise the change won't be detected.

mutools wrote:when using the Mac finder/Windows explorer, if you drop it in your user library folder, then you need to also delete the MuxPresetFileCache.MuData in that folder otherwise the change won't be detected.
Could MuLab compare the last modified date on the folder with that on the Cache and rescan if the folder's date is newer?

Taken note for evaluation, thx for the suggestion.

mutools wrote:Yes you can drag-drop a mux preset file directly from a zip onto a rack slot, mux editor, [+] track button, [+] rack button, ...
Ah I stand corrected, thats good to know.

Got it now, I first placed the xx.mux file into the factory folder. But from there it wasn't recognized. After shifting it to the user preset folder everything is alright.
Thanks again to Andreas for his Talking Wah module. Very much appreciated.

Anyway - if there was a vector pad included in the macro controller section, may this would do the job to morph between different sections such as an array of filters with different formant frequencies adjusted.
It's just another cup of tea than routing several parameters to one knob.
I could imagine an icon besides the row of macro controllers that opens a vector pad when being clicked.
Just a thought of mine; don't know what the developer thinks about it.

Regards

I

DIGIFEX wrote:By the way - I'd like to see something like a "terrain formant filter" in a future release with a vector pad included where the four directions represent the vowels "a", "e", "o" and "u". So one could morph between the vowels by dragging the mouse on the pad (or a vector pad on a master keyboard).

And a comb filter mode added to the multimode filter wouldn't be too bad either.

What do you think?
Why don't you sample vowels, put them as wavetable into the Multiform Oscillatror and move the wave index. Worked here - by accident - quite well.

DIGIFEX wrote:if there was a vector pad included in the macro controller section
Yes, an X-Y Controller that mapped to two Meta Parameters or whatever targets would be a nice front panel addition at some point.

Return to “MUTOOLS”