Odd behavior w/Linnstrument in Kaivo/Aalto

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all!

So, I posted about this in the Madrona Labs forums, too, but didn't get a response (yet; I'm still hopeful), so I thought I might post it here and at least get someone to reproduce this, and possibly find out whether or not this might be an issue with the way Linnstrument sends out MIDI and not the way Kaivo/Aalto processes MIDI.

So, in either synth (hosted in Bidule, Linnstrument MIDI coming in via host port on iConnect Audio 4+), I've noticed something funny. This happens when running a single voice without unison enabled (and therefore without legato, since this is apparently how legato behavior is enabled in these synths). When I hit a note on Linnstrument, hold it, and then hit another note, the synths slide to the new note according to the glide time just fine. If I am still holding the original note and release the new note, as expected with no legato, the sound stops. However, if I release the original note prior to the new note, the new note stops playing. This struck me as odd.

Another odd thing: with unison enabled on a single voice, when triggering the gate module in Aalto/Kaivo with channel pressure from Linnstrument rather than an envelope, if I hit two notes in series and remain holding both after the initial hit, releasing either note does not result in a legato behavior. Rather things behave as if the unison was off, and releasing either held note simply stops the sound (as above). Further, the majority of the time, when I finally release either the original note or the new note, there is a little blip of audio. It seems that the gate module is being triggered somewhat by the release of either held note.

Any thoughts on this or reasons why Linnstrument could be causing these issues?

I should add that the legato behavior only seems to happen with MPE enabled on both Linnstrument and the synths. It doesn't happen when MPE isn't enabled in Aalto or Kaivo. However with channel pressure triggering the gate module, the legato issues and releasing notes triggering the gate happen regardless of whether MPE is turned on in Kaivo/Aalto.

I would guess this is an issue with the plugins, try emailing Randy: randy (at) madronalabs.com

He is a very helpful guy.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

Yup, heard back from Randy @ Madrona Labs, and he confirmed that it is most likely a problem with the early implementation of MPE in Kaivo/Aalto. So, something to consider for anyone else using those synths. They're still GREAT with Linnstrument, though, so don't let that stop you from having a play.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”