How to replace an amplitude envelope (only)

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I've just bought your fabulous MMorph and I'm really happy with it, really a great software!
I'm studying the manual… Spectral hybrids play an important role in my music, so I think that MMorph will be quite important for me and I wanted to say "thank you" for this excellent product, really.

However, I was wondering: sometimes, instead of a real morphing, I just have to replace an amplitude envelope with another taken from a sidechain sound, without modifying the timbre at all.
For example, just think of a pizzicato cello and a horn as the two signals, only one note each (same note, same duration): I want to make a "pizzicato horn", that is to play the timbre of the horn (unaltered), but with the amplitude envelope of the pizzicato cello. Is it possible to do this with MMorph, that is to change the envelope without modifying the timbre? Or do you suggest to use a different plugin or method?
(My main DAW is Apple Logic Pro X and I'm on a Mac.)

Yes, it is possible with MMorph.
First put MMorph on the horn track.
Set the cello track to sidechain into MMorph.
In MMorph select "main input only"
Make sure ratio is at 50%
Now assign mod 1 to the wet parameter.
Open the mod and select follower mode.
Make sure to select sidechain in the mod.
It should now be working.

Any problems let me know.
Melda Production & United Plugins
Surface Studio = i7, 32gb, SSD.
Windows 11. Bitwig, Reaper, Live. MTotal.
Audiofuse, Adam Audio monitors + sub, iLoud MTM.
Polybrute, Summit, Pro 3, Tempest, Syntakt, AH2.
Ableton Push 2, Roli Seaboard Block.

Thank you very much.
I followed all the steps, but it seems that, as long as I have "main input only" selected, I can hear only the main input, without its envelope modulated or altered… perhaps it's me doing something wrong? I must check everything again.

there is a plugin called peak rider which can do this in superb quality :wink:

I do this often in MXXX: use the utility module, tie follower modulation to the volume output in utility and ensure the modulator is tracking the side chain input. It works perfectly and you get considerably more control than that peak rider plug. Requires MXXX or MXXX core tho.

You can do the above setup with any Melda plug with a volume control, however the utility one is best as the volume control is a log scale, unlike other 'gain' controls. The MUtility plugin itself doesn't have modulators, hence the need for MXXX.

It seams possibly you haven't set the full range for the wet parameter? Open the mod and check that maximal value is set to 100% and value to 0%.

If still no luck let me know, I'll have another think.

Yes, vectorwarrior is right. It's loads easier in MXXX and if you ever get the money together for it, you will never regret it!
However I am trying to get the same result in MMorph.

Thank you again. Things are still unclear to me. I have now set the maximal value in MOD 1 at 100% and the value at 0%, still no result… but I notice that if the "Transient modulation" is other than 0 (in MOD 1, with Side-chain input activated) I obtain some results, but it is still not clear to me how to control these results precisely and what's happening exactly…

(Well, no… I don't have money enough for MXXX, for the moment… :roll: )

Have you definitely selected side chain input in the mod?
you have to do this as well as the sidechain into MMorph.

If so check a few more thing to see if I can find out what is happening.
Look at your meters, do you see level for the side meter?
Set the mod to normal mode, can you see it modulating the wet parameter?

Yes, I have selected side-chain input in the mod and in MMorph, too.
Yes, I see level for the side meter and it's correct.
And yes, also setting mod to normal mode I can see it modulating the wet parameter (the wet knob in the main Morph window moves to and fro automatically).

Actually, after I repeated the steps a few times, I am now beginning to hear an effect rather clearly (presently combining a long gong toll with a very short staccato flute note: now I can hear the short staccato attack at the beginning of the gong sound and then a quick partial decay). It works, but it seems to me that the side chain amplitude envelope is combined to the original envelope, not really replacing it completely. Part of the original envelope remains. Is it there any way to increase the effect in order to replace the original envelope completely?
(It's midnight here, I must switch my computer off, and tomorrow I will be away; I will be able to see your answer probably the day after.)

(P.S.: I see that Peak Rider sidechaining is presently not working in Logic, by the way)

Ok, so your almost there. Everything is set up correctly now you just need to practice using the follower mod. The min and max values are what you need to adjust to change the way the envelope sounds.
Watch this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bu9cREmzZ4

Ok, so your almost there. Everything is set up correctly now you just need to practice using the follower mod. The min and max values are what you need to adjust to change the way the envelope sounds.
Watch this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bu9cREmzZ4

Yes!!! The trick was to set precisely all the values of Level Max, Level Min, and all the Detector settings like RMS Length, Attack, Release, and even the Advanced detector settings! Now all is working perfectly and the amplitude envelopes from the sidechain signal are replacing those of the original main sound completely. I see that all these settings (of course) are to be set individually in each case, according to how the different individual sounds are. So, I will save a basic MMorph preset for doing this and then I will remember to set all the Detector values in each case when needed.
(And then, if I really want some little part of the original sound back, I can always turn up a little the "Dry A" knob.)
I really want to thank you very much, you have be so kind with me and your help has been very important. Thank you so much!

Your very welcome, I like helping.

Now you have got the hang of the follower mod you can really experiment with MMorph. Try using some transient modulation in the follower mod and modulating the ratio of MMorph. This way you can morph between the attack of one sound and the tail of another.
One last tip is to play with the dry ratio setting in advanced settings. This can allow for much smoother transitions, especially with acoustic instruments and/or fast modulation.

Enjoy.

Return to “MeldaProduction”