Air DB33 - best Hammond organ emu at the moment?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
B-5 Organ B4 DB-33 VB3

There is the GSI VB3, and NI B4, but only 32 bit (edit VB3 is 64 bit on Windows)

Air has made their DB33 available as VST:
http://www.airmusictech.com/product/db-33#overview

What other contenders are there now?
Last edited by Numanoid on Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nope, IMHO VB3 still kicks its nuts (and the rest).

Numanoid wrote:There is the GSI VB3, and NI B4, but only 32 bit
I think on Win VB3 is 64bit too, just not on OSX...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

EvilDragon wrote:Nope, IMHO VB3 still kicks its nuts (and the rest).
Interesting - in what areas do you think does VB3 win over DB33?
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

I can even top that with an orphan freeware setup: NuBi Plus (organ with drawbars and presets), VFX (crossover/overdrive/subharmonic) and Spinner (rotary speaker).
Trust me, those three 32-bit PC plugins, in that order on the FX chain, kill a lot of the paid stuff. Very tweakable.

http://web.archive.org/web/200611170632 ... adPlus.htm

Actually the Native Instruments one is better sounding

Nubi won't run in up to date DAWs because it hasn't been updated to the more recent VST standard. You can run it in older DAWs or those with less strict policies.

Yes the best is DB33, the other ones sound a lot more like VST's sounded in the 2000 to 2004 period. Sort of 2 dimensional. Nubi is rather good though. B4II is so so. VB3 is absolute trash sound-wise, doesn't matter how well it was emulated, it sounds unimpressive and uninspiring, especially for my uses.

My favourite "I don't give a fack if it sounds like a real Hammond or not" software organ is Organ 3 by Linplug. :tu:
Last edited by HunterKiller on Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

jens wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:Nope, IMHO VB3 still kicks its nuts (and the rest).
Interesting - in what areas do you think does VB3 win over DB33?
Leslie emulation, distortion, emulation of key contact latency, and so on. Simply top of the crop, nothing else compares, even to this day.
Kinh wrote:Actually the Native Instruments one is better sounding
Nope, distortion is horrible and Leslie emulation leaves things to be desired in comparison to VB3.

Numanoid wrote: What other contenders are there now?
If you want the Hammond sound, there's NI Vintage Organs for Kontakt. It's sample based, so not an emu. A testimony for it's quality is the fact that the other members in my band were all blown away by how natural it sounds.

jens wrote:I think on Win VB3 is 64bit too, just not on OSX...
Yes, you are right:

Q: Is there a 64 bit version of VB3 available?
A: There's currently an x64 version available only for Windows VST. Currently there's no 64 bit Mac version available, sorry.

HunterKiller wrote:My favourite "I don't give a fack if it sounds like a real Hammond or not" software organ is Organ 3 by Linplug. :tu:
Forgot to think about that, and even though it is retired, it seems so that it still can be bought for $20 at Linplugs Facebook page

I can get the arguments either way if you are playing it solo, but once you drop any of these into a mix, its going to get a lot harder to tell them apart. I have VB3 and NuBile/Spinner, just had a listen to the Air plug, it does sound nice, but better than the others, not convinced. I am looking forward to v2 of VB3, it seems on hold forever though. :neutral:

There is AcousticSamples B-5 Organ Plugin which I just found yesterday. I bought it and to me it sounds the probably the most detailed recreation of a B3 available in early 2017. It´s 64bit on both, Mac and PC. Check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DieOAxHSmsw

Not bad. I still have VB3, and it's great. I also have the Arturia one. Both are great, I think the Arturia Farfisa and Vox are the best emulations of those organs.
Little Black Dog - 2008-Present

Return to “Instruments”