Ripping a DVD-Audio disk to 24/96 Flac

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have a few of these disks and while they play fine through my HiFi using my PS3 as the player I would like to back them up as I do all my CDs. Since the audio is 24 bit I want to convert them to 24/96 FLAC but can't seem to find a way to do this, there are also so many disreputable ripping apps on the net so I want something I can trust not to install malware.

You can do this with ye olde DVD Decrypter. In IFO mode you select each chapter and extract the audio track in the Stream Processing tab. Assuming it's LPCM you'll get a 96/24 wav file ready for encoding. It's a little time consuming if you have a load of tracks, but it's free and it works.

Sorry I should have said I'm on Mac. Thanks. Tried Handbrake but it doesn't recognise the disk, guess that's for regular DVD only.

For audio DVDs I think the files are in the AUDIO_TS folder rather than VIDEO_TS. Is there any way to get Handbrake to check that?

There's a couple of methods listed here using mplayer and VLC. The VLC one is probably the easiest to start with.
Last edited by sprnva on Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I can play it in VLC but can't see how I can use it to convert it to Flac.

aMUSEd wrote:I can play it in VLC but can't see how I can use it to convert it to Flac.
My bad. I forgot to add the article I was talking about :dog:

I've edited the previous post with a link.

Hi aMUSEd,

as far as I know, there is only one software that can read "real" DVD-Audio discs with their special MLP (Meridian Lossless Packing) / Packed PCM (PPCM) format:

DVD Audio Extractor
http://dvdae.com/dvdae/features

It's multiplatform Win/Mac/Linux compatible and fully functional without any limits within the 30 day trial period. The license fee is $38.50 (the new version requires activation by challenge/response, mind you).

So this is your solution. Everything else is concerned with DVD-Video which won't help you at all.

Greetings,
D.
"There's a certain detail seen here."

I've not tried this, but surely VLC will let you rip the audio as a 24/96 WAV. Then you can convert it to FLAC.

Perhaps the best place to ask about this kind of thing is https://hydrogenaud.io/

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”