Adventures

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is such an expressive piece! It's insane how the sound changes but remains identifiable as originating from that cello-esque timbre. Really fantastic!

Was this a single take performance or recorded in multiple parts. I just can't identify and obvious edits.

Thanks!

Thanks - single take (usually the case) - lots of morphing using Kore 2.

Should have added this was made using Modelonia; I created a cello-like patch then variations between cello and flute all stored in Kore's morph grid, then moved between them, exploring the in-between timbres and musical spaces as I played. I wanted something close to Berio's Sequenza approach where the aim is to explore expressively every microtimbre of the sonic possibilities inherent within a particular instrument. It also tries to navigate a tension between minimalism and expressionism.

Personally I like the bits where the sound is split on the cusp between two timbres creating a sort of resonant interplay. It sounds like more than one instrument and take but really it's just 2 hands. Flutescrape (and several others) attempt something similar...

https://soundcloud.com/kymeia/flutescrapes-export-1

just saw this, bit late now. will give a whirl on the other side of morning.

dragged my ears into some uncomfortable spaces , but i backed the volume
down a tad , and continued ... quite taken by the expressive flow , and the nuance
revealed as you navigated through the kore grid ...

probably would have worked better , for me , a tad lower down the fretboard ...
all told , an enlightening listen ...
pity kore was dropped from development ...
you remain a staunch advocate however ...

experimental.crow wrote:..
pity kore was dropped from development ...
you remain a staunch advocate however ...
Have to, nothing else can do this

thanks for listening

Great mood to this...
The sound reminds me more of a bowed psaltery then a cello.

This is well played and well composed.
I found it very enjoyable.

wonderful piece :)
the marriage of the two timbres works well, becomes its own instrument at times 8)

sadly missed out on the wonders of kore :(

enjoyed the celloverse though. next up flutescrapes :)

Overall, I enjoyed this one.

Sound design is excellent.

Composition kept me interested, but for me it lacked attention to detail with regard to shape and structure on both a macro and micro level.

Berio's Sequenzas always zoomed in on timbral experimentation, but had many other areas of focus as well...not surprising as the first was in the late 1950s and he was still composing them in the early 2000s! :0)

Oh well yes I could never hope to match the brilliance of Berio in a million years - he is one of my favourite composers. Deserves to be better known.

Here I was just exploring the timbral landscape, I love how the sequenzas also enable exploration of the physicality both of the instrument and the player - harder to do that using virtual instruments (although I have explored some methods of doing that, even including playing piano with a broken hand on one occasion to see how it constrained/framed the playing and added found elements to the music)

ps I wouldn't really glorify this by calling it a 'composition', like most of my pieces this is all improvised, hence the lack of attention to detail probably :) That's one way I add a physical/mental constraint though.
Last edited by aMUSEd on Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vurt wrote:wonderful piece :)
the marriage of the two timbres works well, becomes its own instrument at times 8)

sadly missed out on the wonders of kore :(

enjoyed the celloverse though. next up flutescrapes :)
Thanks, yes it's the in-between micro-spaces and transitions that always fascinate me musically (and in my painting and writing) the most

aMUSEd wrote:he is one of my favourite composers. Deserves to be better known.
Agreed...performing / studying his work at University helped to 'free' my whole approach towards music.
aMUSEd wrote:I love how the sequenzas also enable exploration of the physicality both of the instrument and the player
He often explored and extended ideas from older pieces by other composers in this area that you mention...

The violin Sequenza (no. 8 or 9?) takes elements from Bach's D minor Chaconne and develops them in interesting directions - like the Bach, the density of sound is extraordinary at times...more like an ensemble!
aMUSEd wrote: like most of my pieces this is all improvised, hence the lack of attention to detail probably
Fair enough, but there are some superbly structured improvs out there, although, admittedly many may have been rehearsed quite a bit first! :0)

My Feedback

Weirdness - 9.5
Instruments - 8
Performance - 8
Mix - 8.5

Overall - 8.5

Comments: I don't usually listen to tracks this long but I'm sitting here waiting for my VSL library to copy over to my new SSD drive (man this thing is fast) so I figured, what the heck. It's a way to kill 10 minutes. So, where to begin? Well, odd would be an understatement. The shrill high synths kind of hurt my ears a bit, so I had to turn the volume down just a tad. Using the "Vurt" feedback system, on the weirdness scale you nearly rang the bell. Everything else was good. Not something I'd listen to as a regular diet, but I have to admit, this was unusual and well done for what it is. Good job!

Thanks - tbh I didn't think it was particularly weird but I listen to/create stuff like this all the time so for me this is normal music

Return to “Music Cafe”