MPowerSynth OSC

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

Can somebody tell me if the osc waveforms in Mpowersynth are generated from scratch like virtual analog osc in Zebra2, or are they sampled wave forms like in synths like Serum or both?

Generated from scratch
Melda Production & United Plugins
Surface Studio = i7, 32gb, SSD.
Windows 11. Bitwig, Reaper, Live. MTotal.
Audiofuse, Adam Audio monitors + sub, iLoud MTM.
Polybrute, Summit, Pro 3, Tempest, Syntakt, AH2.
Ableton Push 2, Roli Seaboard Block.

Yes! I will be an MPowerSynth user by the end of today.

Thank you.

I didn't think serum was sampled waveforms.

You will love MPS it's a monster! If you have any questions using it, don't hesitate to ask on here.

Serum uses sampled waveforms according to my memory. I remember when it first came out the reason why I opted against it was that I could hear the loop points in the sampled waveforms. It has amazing features, but having gone through trying to do synthesis with Alchemy, I find that a sample playback engine is best suited for sample manipulation rather that true synthesis.

Please correct me if I have it misunderstood.

Alchemy has generated waveforms when in VA mode, not samples. You have made me question myself now. I will double check.

Just checked. Looks like you are correct. Thanks for that clarification.

Internally probably both powersynth and serum and everything uses samples as generating a waveform on the fly through math at all times (including when no changes occur) would be inefficient if done directly.
MPowersynth is not "virtual analogue". That said, both powersynth and serum can be made to sound nice and/or analogue.
Serum and MPowersynth both have their own advantages. Both allow many direct manipulations with the input waveform.
That said, eventually™ melda will release MYYY which is supposed to be the most powerful synth out there.
I use MPowersynth almost exclusively, you can make some very nice and very unique sounds if you're willing to spend some time.

Try the demo.

Serum uses "samples" from the perspective that one can load a single-cycle sample file and it becomes an internal wave-table. Note that "wave-table" historically has meant just a single cycle - not the multiple cycle morphing capabilities we now associate with that term. Serum starts with a collection of single cycles that can be loaded individually from .wav files (or probably other formats) and that collection becomes the multi-slice (for lack of better term) set of individual wave cycles which can be indexed through in real time.

Not all synths work from wavetable playback. Additive synths construct the waveforms mathematically. If I'm not mistaken, MPS operates in either mode. I'm not at my DAW, but there's a button in the Osc window that switches from one mode to the other, IIRC.
Last edited by dmbaer on Thu May 05, 2016 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Duplicate.

dmbaer wrote:I'm not at my DAW, but there's a button in the Osc window that switches from one mode to the other, IIRC.
I'd like to mention that Melda Oscilators can also analyse periodic waveforms and create a wavetable from those, and can be further edited with additive synthesis, same as serum, in serum you can have several 'snapshots' though. In melda, only one per oscillator.

pone wrote:
dmbaer wrote:I'm not at my DAW, but there's a button in the Osc window that switches from one mode to the other, IIRC.
I'd like to mention that Melda Oscilators can also analyse periodic waveforms and create a wavetable from those, and can be further edited with additive synthesis, same as serum, in serum you can have several 'snapshots' though. In melda, only one per oscillator.
If you use modulators(the banks setting) in MPS while using the additive mode you can morph between different wave forms in a similar way to serum. It's a bit troublesome, but possible. It's really cool for evolving sounds though.

Thank you folks! :love:

As for the sound generating, it's partly both ways. It's pretty complex due to the whole aliasing free engine, but the basic idea is that there are presampled shapes with some huge resolution (which cannot really be gathered from wavetables), then it is somehow postprocessed and used for actual sound generation. Generating the "virtual analog shapes" directly would actually lead to a very inferior results, not mentioning it would be very complex, or more like "bothering to develop" :D
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Return to “MeldaProduction”