Best Piano - PIANOTEQ

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Pianoteq Studio Bundle

Bluether+D4 with EastWest Spaces Reverb MASTERED WITH IZOOTOPE OZONE

https://youtu.be/q2lrDaUOTVk

i have pianoteq, use it...sometimes. i'd say it's piano-like, but certainly not definitive. anyway, decent piece (a bad note in there, tho...) :D

You should try their new Steinway Model B.

Great work. I personally use EW's for the Steinway D; however, I find that I have to remove ambient noise and rumble as well as noises from the samples but for the most part, it's good enough. I think Synthogy sounds great. I don't own it but I'm considering getting it some time in the future when I feel that I need something else. Right now I'm into good analog emulation but I saw the post and wanted to see the responses.
...and the electron responded, "what wall?"

That's a very bright piano sound, and a bit processed.

The expressiveness of PianoTeq is far beyond any sample based piano, the sound may be a little bit artificial
BUT, I've done blind test of real piano sound vs pianoteq 5, and i can tell you NO ONE IS ABLE TO TELL WHICH ONE IS THE REAL THING.

How is it far beyond any sample based piano?

Perhaps you are right that most people are unable to tell which one is the real thing, but that's true of most sample based pianos also.

Quite frankly, there is no best.

Which one is the real thing????

http://82.144.5.101/file/piano/Love_Dream-1.mp3
http://82.144.5.101/file/piano/Love_Dream-2.mp3

One is a professional recording played by one of the best pianist in the world.

The other one is MIDI and PianoTeq 5 - D4

This is like a blind test with wine, will see who knows.

I'll play.
Love_Dream-1 = PianoTeq
Love_Dream-2 = Real (or could be a different PianoTeq)

I think #2 may be the real piano; at least the one I like better than the other.

I think 2 is the real deal as well. The decay there sounded more natural piano sounding than the first. The first seemed to in parts have a decay that just stood still. (I usually fail miserably at these)

One thing I've found with Pianoteq is that adjustment of the velocity curve is really helpful in producing a better tone - based on the keyboard you're playing into Pianoteq.

Another thing to note is this is a solo'd comparison. For times when a piano is in a mix of instruments, it would be more difficult to tell.

Either way, both very good sounding

my guess would be:
1) pianoteq
2) a standard midi file triggering a sampled piano.

the following is the piece played by S.Richter, it starts at 4:27:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXTgBeMr0o0

1 is Pianoteq. Sustain and release stage sound sterile and artificial on Pianoteq.

And Arrested Developer has a good point, 2 could be a sample piano but I don't know such a good sounding piano library so my guess is 2 is a real piano.

I'm usually using Pianoteq for daily practice and will be surprised if 1 is not Pianoteq D4, which sounds familiar to my ears. I'd say it has brilliance in upper range but lacks a little bit of fullness and thickness in lower and mid range compared to the real one especially when played forte.
So my guess is the same as everyone above has already said. 1 is Pianoteq and 2 is the real one.
BTW in terms of the piano performance itself, I prefer 1 to 2.

Currently concerning Acoustic Pianos i got TruePianos, the Pianos in NI Komplete 10 (e.g. The Grandeur), Arturia Piano V (in V-Collection 5), the discontinued (but still working...) Garritan Authorized Steinway and others.

Have not played very much with it yet but the new Arturia Piano V actually does not seem to be that bad, especially as i is based on pure modeling without samples (like their E-Pianos, Organs and Synths). Some Presets like e.g. "Grand Studio Piano" actually seem to be quite good. Also allows some editing of the 9 incuded models and Mic setup. The "Glass Grand" model is also quite interesting, same about the "Metal Grand".

Never really felt the need to buy Pianoteq. The basic versions seem to be a bit limited and the higher versions (Standard and Pro) are a bit expensive (i would choose at least the Standard version and for full editing you would even need teh Pro version). If you need expansion packs it get even more expensive.

Anyway i do not really focus on playing Acoustic Piano and for what i need it what i got was usually enough so far.

I am also not 100% sure if Pianoteq is really the "best one". Earlier versions IMO did not sound like a real Piano at all while the newer version indeed sound very good. Anyway due to the modeling approach it is quite verstaile and could go far beyond the classic Acoustic Piano sounds and maybe you could also do some totally new sounds with it.
Last edited by Ingonator on Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:02 am, edited 8 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Return to “Instruments”