Is "More RAM" = Better DAW performance?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

Just upgraded to an i7 Win10 machine with 16G memory. Wondering the benefit of having more memory is to load larger sample. But how about if it helps on better DAW performance?

Regards!
Cowby

It also means you can load more plugins in your projects overall (well, until your CPU falls over). Other than that, no real performance benefit AFAIK.

You can make a project with all your vsti loaded. And you can set inactive tracks to not use cpu, and it will be ok.

dune_rave wrote:You can make a project with all your vsti loaded. And you can set inactive tracks to not use cpu, and it will be ok.
I know though 16G is not that much ... But I came across a term called "RAM drive". Any benefit for DAW/Vsti?

cowby wrote:
dune_rave wrote:You can make a project with all your vsti loaded. And you can set inactive tracks to not use cpu, and it will be ok.
I know though 16G is not that much ... But I came across a term called "RAM drive". Any benefit for DAW/Vsti?
16GB is loads.
I get by on 4.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

You need enough RAM for your largest project.
You don't want the machine hitting the VM swapfile in lieu of real physical RAM (which kills performance)

Lets say your largest project uses 12GB RAM... and you've got 16GB in the machine.
Increasing the machine's RAM to 32GB won't buy any additional performance.

Having additional RAM would allow loading some instruments into RAM (rather than disk-streaming).
That could increase performance... but the extra RAM itself won't increase performance.
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Jim Roseberry wrote:You need enough RAM for your largest project.
You don't want the machine hitting the VM swapfile in lieu of real physical RAM (which kills performance)

Lets say your largest project uses 12GB RAM... and you've got 16GB in the machine.
Increasing the machine's RAM to 32GB won't buy any additional performance.

Having additional RAM would allow loading some instruments into RAM (rather than disk-streaming).
That could increase performance... but the extra RAM itself won't increase performance.
this is how I feel with one exception, the size of the project can be misleading. I have an i7, and I use 8 gigs of ram but of course I can go to 32. I do have projects that if you check the size of the folder it's over 8 gigs of ram but actively only using far less...obviously I'm not good at housekeeping or letting go :hihi:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

There is no benefit for more RAM if you can already fit your project in what you have. It can only degrade performance if you have too little.

But nowdays 8 GB is standard in PCs, so everything I can imagine should work fine. If you still run 32-bit DAW, you can allocate only 3 GB RAM anyway.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

It depends on your usage.
Launch task manager and see how much you use RAM.

I don't use 2GB+ RAM so I'm still sitting on 32bit bench.
soundcloud.com/yudaidhun

16 GB of ram is actually perfect unless you work on really heavy orchestral stuff. Nothing wrong with having it (good insurance, mine is 16gb)

As an example, if you have trilian, SD, and some kinda kontakt thing for synths/pads and didn't set it to take lower ram, you'd take about 5-6gb and then your system is around 2gb so you probably wouldn't crash all the time (like if you tried that in x86)

So yes, better performance except cpu use which is another subject (and a boring overly debatable one at that)

Ram lets a system run at its potential, it doesn't speed anything up - just allows it to do what the software wants to do.

cowby wrote:I know though 16G is not that much ...
People were making music with trackers on the Amiga with 512 KB of RAM.... 16 GB is more than enough. Only exception is big orchestral libraries.

16 GB is more than enough. Only exception is big orchestral libraries.
To allocate over 16 GB of libraries you first need to read that much data from your disk... which will take a lot of time on its own. If your projects take forever to load, now you know why :nutter:
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

This is why optane should be the beezneez...

DJ Warmonger wrote:
16 GB is more than enough. Only exception is big orchestral libraries.
To allocate over 16 GB of libraries you first need to read that much data from your disk... which will take a lot of time on its own. If your projects take forever to load, now you know why :nutter:
I don't know if that :nutter: was directed at me... But if it is, could you point out where I said anything about loading time?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”