How to setup MIDI in Cubase 8.5 pro? (MIDI timepiece)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys,

I am trying to figure out how to setup my MIDI timepiece in Cubase 8.5 pro. Anyone have any idea? I found this article http://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/d ... 5297962885 from the manual but seems dated. None of the menus are the same and I can't quite find where to go to set this up.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Kevin
Win 7 | Dual Xeon x5680 | 48 GB RAM | Saffire Pro 40 | Yamaha HS50 monitors |Cubase 8.5 Pro|
Kevin DiGennaro

theEmbark wrote:Hey guys,

I am trying to figure out how to setup my MIDI timepiece in Cubase 8.5 pro. Anyone have any idea? I found this article http://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/d ... 5297962885 from the manual but seems dated. None of the menus are the same and I can't quite find where to go to set this up.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Kevin
That was awesome. You've just made my day. I'll try to help. Which driver version are you using?
And the beat goes on...

Mister Gibson wrote:
theEmbark wrote:Hey guys,

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Kevin
That was awesome. You've just made my day. I'll try to help. Which driver version are you using?
Haha :lol: I was trying to be polite about it :D

and thank you! My mac is running fine with it but haven't set it up with in Cubase or on a Windows system before. I am using the latest version of the windows driver - 4.0.48697

Thanks,
Kevin
Win 7 | Dual Xeon x5680 | 48 GB RAM | Saffire Pro 40 | Yamaha HS50 monitors |Cubase 8.5 Pro|
Kevin DiGennaro

Sorry Kev, my Windows support ended at XP. But I'll try... *Corrections are welcome

I'll assume you've installed the driver before connecting to PC. Does Windows lists it in its Device Manager?
And the beat goes on...

Mister Gibson wrote:Sorry Kev, my Windows support ended at XP. But I'll try... *Corrections are welcome

I'll assume you've installed the driver before connecting to PC. Does Windows lists it in its Device Manager?
Yeah I've been on Mac since XP ended as well but didn't have much choice on this build. So far everything is running well believe it or not haha.

Yes, drivers were installed then MVP was plugged in and flipped on. Windows DOES show it in the device manager.

Thanks,
Kevin
Kevin DiGennaro

That's great. Have you shut down and restarted the PC and launched Cubase after the lengthy boot? If not, no worries. You can try it laster. Does Timepiece appear in Cubase's Device Manager?
And the beat goes on...

**Device Setup>MIDI Port Setup
And the beat goes on...

Yes I have, and yes it does. 8 instances for the 8 ports.

Thanks again, :D
Kevin
Kevin DiGennaro

Cheers! You can name the first one after me.
And the beat goes on...

Mister Gibson wrote:Cheers! You can name the first one after me.
Haha I will once we get it going! :P

So I see them all but I am not getting any sound playing back right now. I can see a line pop up when I type a key. So the MIDI data is coming thru. I can even record the MIDI data I just can't hear it in real time or via playback.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Kevin
Kevin DiGennaro

Sounds like an audio problem. Is your gear plugged in, turned up and indicating MIDI reception?
And the beat goes on...

Mister Gibson wrote:Sounds like an audio problem. Is your gear plugged in, turned up and indicating MIDI reception?
Yup, going to try a restart because even outside Cubase I don't have audio for some reason.
Kevin DiGennaro

What are using Timepiece to do?
And the beat goes on...

Mister Gibson wrote:Sounds like an audio problem. Is your gear plugged in, turned up and indicating MIDI reception?
This is going to be the start of an interesting relationship... that is me and win 10... restart fixed it. No idea what 'it' was either haha. Now if I could find a way to get youtube to work I'd be somewhat satisfied for now :d.

Thanks for your help. I think I had it setup more or less just needed to restart again apparently...

Thanks,
Kevin

P.S: Just saw your note -

Timepiece brings in a few keyboards and drum machines via MIDI. The Pro 40 only had 1 MIDI input on the actual interface and my budget this year wasn't very high so went with it. Does exactly what I need in Mac OS.
Kevin DiGennaro

In Cubase go to the Transport Menu. There should be a "Project Synchronization Setup" item there. Look up that dialog in the manual. There are lots of options and routing possibilities.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”