PC Tune up and NI Ultimate 10

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi All,
Looking for some advice/opinions.
First teh history..... I have a laptop about a year old (Toshiba i7 2.6 gHz processor, 16 GB Ram, 1TB Hard drive running win 10 via the free upgrade offer from 8.1).
I have been using AVG Tune up to keep the thing running smoothly or so I thought.
A couple of months ago several of the NI products I have started to get update problems culminating in Guitar Rig failing install and making the plugin completely unusable.
I logged a call with NI support who (quickly... contrary to reputation) sent me a utility to scan the system and I sent back the diagnostics file it produced.
After a day or so they sent back a link to an article advising not to use tune up utilities ( https://www.native-instruments.com/en/s ... utilities/ ) but mentioned nothing about what you do about it.

I persevered and this morning got back the advice "I'm afraid that the best would be to backup your system, reformat it & perform a fresh install afterwards (without installing TuneUp of course)"

I have my suspicions that this is a stock answer that is given when the issue gets too difficult for NI support, which in all likelihood will fix the issues but only after a I spend a few days bashing away at it.

So to my questions....
1) Is this a little heavy handed as the only software affected is Native Instruments?
2) Is there a simpler way I can achieve the same results without the full drama as I have a heap of other plugins etc to worry about?

The NI installers continue to reference the MSI installer when updating, running tune up utilities and / or even just relocating the .dll's if it breaks association can cause future updates to fail.

Annoys the hell out of me, I've not been able to update in about a year now. Poor coding choices caused by the restrictions placed by how service center keeps track of associations.

I've had some luck re-associating files using ultimate outsiders plugin tool ( http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/ ) in the past, but it no longer seems to solve it for me.

Personally I'll do the K11 update whenever it arrives and leave them in the default folders next time (which under Ableton, can be a PITA itself sometimes), although I can guarantee that sooner or later I'll forget, run ccleaner and break it again.

You could try running https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... or-removed across all your ni plugs, then reinstalling them. It should clean up and deassociate files cleanly for you, however it's not quick as you have to do them one at a time and the's a whole load of files to deal with in Ultimate install.

Thanks Kaine. I think I might try the MS utility as you suggest. I probably lose a bit of time with it but is probably less than a reformat and reinstall and at least I won't lose the settings for my other programs.
Might have to leave it until I've got a decent amount of time though!

Luckily being a relative novice to the wonderful world of plugins I just let the defaults do their thing during install so haven't had too many dramas like you described with associations.

I'll let you know how I get on!

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”