Ardour 5.0 released

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Ardour

And officially for Windows too:
https://ardour.org/whatsnew.html
Last edited by scalawag on Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Wow! This is great news :tu:

Yes, very cool!

Nice. :tu: If I were Microsoft or some other wealthy tech company who doesn't have a workstation, I'd buy that thing and put the developers on salary... and move it into full (or better) commercial legitimacy in the market.

Or do what Harrison did (x10, put a team behind the core code) and make it something special.

That's very nice, but does it support Windows VSTs as well as Windows (referring to just VST 2.4) without having to (illegally?) compile the Steinberg SDK?

At that point, you will have my support :)

It mentions VST support on the link posted first. Or have I misunderstood your question?

The tabbed mixer thing is a nice add. I guess I'm not the only person annoyed by the PT style "... the mixer window only ever floats as a second window, no other option..." thing.

resynthesis wrote:It mentions VST support on the link posted first. Or have I misunderstood your question?
Well, sure. the "support" comes from you recompiling the Steinberg proprietary sdk into Linux, which is what I'm referring to. That's more like a hack to me. What I was hoping for, was this:

Someone finally negotiated terms (or a contract) with Steinberg regarding the code, and Ardour can include the compiled code by default with each release. It would cost us a few bucks (per user), but that would be worth it imo.

Did you not understand what I meant? I thought I was clear enough. Evidently, you've never personally tried Ardour on Linux and attempted to use Windows native VSTs, otherwise you would know what I was referring to.

You just get an OSX dl link and an Linux dl link, no win dl link even if you ask for it:(

Shit. Would like to test it.

It's there. The first two links in the email are for something else. The link at the bottom of the email is the installer download. It confused me at first also.

johnrule wrote:recompiling the Steinberg proprietary sdk into Linux
VST2 hosting doesn't really require compiling in any "real" Steinberg code. (Whether using their C header files is considered using their "code" or not might be debated though.)

Hi folks.

I'm Ardour's lead developer.

Sorry to hear about the issues people are having with downloading for Windows. One of the issues is obvious - you folks are going for the freedemo, and we failed to tweak the text included in the email for Windows. That will be done in a few minutes. As noted by LawrenceF, the actual download link is at the BOTTOM of the email, with the intention of making you read all the way through (the useless text :)

For anyone who decided to pay but failed to get access, please let me know, and we'll make it right. The download system was redesigned before launching 5.0 and appears to be working correctly, but if there are subtle issues, I'd like to know. One thing that seems to disproportionately affects Windows users more than other platforms is that our server uses the X-Sendfile extension, which is not understood by any Download Manager.

Regarding VST support:
  • on Windows, we support Windows VST natively
    on Linux, we support Linux VST's natively
Regarding using Windows VSTs on Linux, please read: http://www.manual.ardour.org/working-wi ... t-support/

I'll be happy to answer any more questions that people have about Ardour 5.0.

LawrenceF wrote:Nice. :tu: If I were Microsoft or some other wealthy tech company who doesn't have a workstation, I'd buy that thing and put the developers on salary... and move it into full (or better) commercial legitimacy in the market.

Or do what Harrison did (x10, put a team behind the core code) and make it something special.
Lawrence: Ardour is not for sale. The use of the GPL license more or less ensures that. Someone could possibly offer to hire the key developers, but they probably wouldn't work for Microsoft :)

For reference, Ardour is also the basis of Waves' Tracks Live product, in addition to Harrison Mixbus.

johnrule wrote:
resynthesis wrote:It mentions VST support on the link posted first. Or have I misunderstood your question?
Well, sure. the "support" comes from you recompiling the Steinberg proprietary sdk into Linux, which is what I'm referring to. That's more like a hack to me. What I was hoping for, was this:

Someone finally negotiated terms (or a contract) with Steinberg regarding the code, and Ardour can include the compiled code by default with each release. It would cost us a few bucks (per user), but that would be worth it imo.

Did you not understand what I meant? I thought I was clear enough. Evidently, you've never personally tried Ardour on Linux and attempted to use Windows native VSTs, otherwise you would know what I was referring to.
Matter of fact I have. I've been using Linux since its 0.9 days and I've been through the Ardour rebuild and VST via Wine procedure. Glad Xenakios and Mr.Ardour (Paul D?) chimed in to save me some typing.

Ta for the message though johnrule, it's appreciated :clap:

johnrule wrote: Well, sure. the "support" comes from you recompiling the Steinberg proprietary sdk into Linux, which is what I'm referring to. That's more like a hack to me.
No, that isn't what happens. Ardour contains all the required code for Windows VST support on Linux. You do not need the Steinberg SDK. We use the clean-room reversed engineered "Vestige" header file(s). Nothing more (or less).
This was never the issue. The problem was that although Steinberg make/made their SDK available for zero cost, they do not allow redistribution. That would mean that we'd have to distribute Ardour without some of the source code required to build it, which is a violation of the GPL license (used by both Ardour and many of the other software libraries that we use). There is no way around this unless Steinberg gave up their "no distribution" rule. That ship has long since sailed.
AVLinux comes with a Windows VST-enabled build of Ardour that Just Works (TM). I don't approve of its use, for the reasons outlined in the page I linked to above. But hey, that's free software for you - I can't stop anyone making that available.

Seriously folks - you don't expect to run AudioUnits on Windows - why are you expecting to run Windows VSTs on Linux?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”