Can Someone check me please: MVibrato phasy issues even with Depth = 0.00%

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi -

Can someone check me please? Running a vocal through MVibrato sounds as if it may be adding some kind of delay, so that it sounds a bit phasy. (Cubase 7.5.40)

Repro:
1) Route some audio to the master out. I used a vocal with a fair degree of sibilance.
2) Send it at unity gain to an aux channel, with MVibrato inserted on it (Depth = 0.00%), in turn routed to the master out.
3) Listen while toggling MVibrato on/off while looping the audio.
4) Then render the master track twice, once with MVibrato bypassed, once not. Reverse phase on one of the rendered tracks and play both.

What I found on my system:
Step 3: Toggling MVibrato in/out made a definite difference in how things sounded. Especially prominent in the "Ssss" of the vocal track.
Step 4: The vocal tracks didn't null (the backing tracks did, as expected).

Can anyone else reproduce that please?

Thanks much - Alexis

(PS: The application I was trying to use MVibrato for: In the Aux Channel, inserted just before MVibrato, I had a reverb plug in. I was trying to apply a modulated pitch shift to the reverb. Things didn't sound right - with MVibrato inserted/not bypassed, there was noticeable phasing even at Depth = 0.00%; when the Depth was turned up to around 30-40%, the phasing was very obvious. So I wound up simplifying, and getting the results as above).

BTW - this was the free version of MVibrato, 10.02. Thanks!

i'll check after work, if no one else has by then

oops its friday, i'll check tomorrow

_al_ wrote:i'll check after work, if no one else has by then

oops its friday, i'll check tomorrow
Thank you!

MVibrato introduces latency (1 sample here, with results in 256 samples latency (1 buffer size) -could that be it?
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

DarkStar wrote:MVibrato introduces latency (1 sample here, with results in 256 samples latency (1 buffer size) -could that be it?

Yes, I believe so. But I can't imagine why Cubase doesn't compensate!??

PS-what kind of testing allows you to determine 1 sample of latency?

Reaper displays the reported latency for each FX (and rounds it up to the next "buffers-worth" of samples).
Inspired by ...

DarkStar wrote:Reaper displays the reported latency for each FX (and rounds it up to the next "buffers-worth" of samples).
Ah, thx.

Anybody with Cubase here that could maybe take a moment please to see if it is compensating for the MVibrato's delay? I've never had a problem with other plugs where Cubase wouldn't compensate. Is there a way I can check what delay MVibrato is reporting to Cubase?

Thx -

DarkStar wrote:Reaper displays the reported latency for each FX (and rounds it up to the next "buffers-worth" of samples).
Ah, thx DarkStar.

Anybody with Cubase here that could maybe take a moment please to see if it is compensating for the MVibrato's delay? I've never had a problem with other plugs where Cubase wouldn't compensate. Is there a way I can check what delay MVibrato is reporting to Cubase?

Thx -

Oops, I should have said that the tracks do not null here either (quite why that vanished of my first reply, I do not know). So I can confirm your findings.

Here are some more diagnostics:
-- I put the same loop on two tracks,
-- inverted the phase of one track,
-- add MVibrato to the other AND set its Depth to 0
-- added MMultiAnalyzer to each track and the Master (where the two tracks should be nulled)

And the result? ...

Image >>> http://i.imgur.com/GfjCytD.png

So the tracks (red and blue) are almost the same (except at the very high frequencies) but the combined audio (yellow) is not null. If I bypass MVibrato (using its [Bypass] button or in the host) then the tracks null perfectly.

I get a similar result in Tracktion 7.

Maybe I'm missing something obvious (not for the first time). Or a Depth of 0% does not mean no effect at all.
Inspired by ...

MTremolo's Depth works OK here - set it to 0% and the tracks null. As does MLimiter with a Dry/Wet of 0%

But I cannot get MMultibandChorus with every Dry/Wet control set to 0 (100% dry, 0% wet) to null.
Inspired by ...

Vibrato MUST be used as insert. It works based on a short delay line (otherwise it would need a latency and it would be out of phase anyway), so there will be a variable phase shift if you mix it with the original signal.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Thank you DarkStar for your amazing analysis, and Mr.Melda for clarifying there is a delay in MVibrato and it needs to be used as an insert.

When I get back I'm going to put it on an aux bus right after a reverb plug-in, so I can mess with the reverb pitch, maybe put a delay on there after that as well. Maybe that sample or two delay won't matter since it's just going on a reverb bus?

Will report back. Thank you again!

It is an Insert with my method.
Inspired by ...

With a reverb bus it would be just fine. The vibrato delay length is quite small, but in general it is hard to use effects in parallel - it is impossible unless there is absolutely no delay nor phase shift. And most effects has at least some of it I think.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

MeldaProduction wrote:With a reverb bus it would be just fine. The vibrato delay length is quite small, but in general it is hard to use effects in parallel - it is impossible unless there is absolutely no delay nor phase shift. And most effects has at least some of it I think.
Thank you for that information.

I am confused why Cubase doesn't compensate for the delay. I thought it routinely did that unless Plug-in Delay Compensation was bypassed.

Return to “MeldaProduction”