Who (if anyone) has rolled back to an earlier version of FL Studio from 12?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just an informal roll call. I'm going to go back to an earlier version because, after a longish period of trying it out, the step-sequencer now being equivalent to the piano roll is hampering my creativity. Workflow-wise, I often like to set up a beatscape and then improvisationally play phrases/soundscapes over it. I also like to design the sound as the beatscape is looping. Being able to loop it and then have the phrase or soundscape in the same pattern allowed for a lot more freedom than having to decide how many times I have to paint the beatscape pattern into the playlist -- I hate feeling rushed like the road is going to end at a brick wall or off a cliff.

I understand that the per-step graph editors are coming back in FL13 -- but I also really miss them as well. That little piano keyboard drop-down especially was incredibly useful.

Has anyone also moved over to another solution? If so what?

I do own Geist v1 and Ableton 8 but my life has been so fruity-centric I've been reluctant to delve into trying to do what I used to do in FL with those.

My real hope in posting this is that I am completely stupidly missing something and of course I can create as usual in 12.

I have 11 and 12 running side by side.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

gremlinmoon wrote:That little piano keyboard drop-down especially was incredibly useful.
Totally agree
But this is the only thing I miss, the rest is spot on!

Cheers,
David

I miss the microstep shift ..It was really easy to create soms swing in the stepseq.
I also miss the ts 404...and All discarded features in the stepseq.
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

i must confess the step sequencer was the first thing i noticed that was absent and missed it, but now ,i have just gotten used to going straight to the piano roll. i wouldn't be averse to having it return but i can make do without it. as for the TR404 , i didn't even notice it was gone until i read this post. and yes, that could be brought back but it makes me wonder why was it deprecated in the first place.. anyone know?
i don't think it's worth rolling back, there are to many good things in latest version and running concurrent different versions has caused me problems so i'm not tempted to do that..

inkwarp wrote:running concurrent different versions has caused me problems so i'm not tempted to do that..
Parallel Installations (from Image Line)

It is possible to have parallel installations of various major and/or minor revisions of FL Studio. This will allow you to trial a beta or update to a new version, without losing your current FL Studio installation. For parallel minor revisions simply name the installation folder, during the installer dialog process, to something other than the default (i.e. from FL12 to FL12_New). Major revisions install in parallel by default (i.e. FL11 to FL12).

Some points to remember:
  • Setup options - Parallel minor revision installations share the same setup options while major revisions can have independent setup options to the previous version.

Program shortcut - In the case of Parallel minor revisions, you will have to manually re-create a shortcut to the FL.exe (file that runs the program) for the older version after the new parallel update is installed.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

re the missing TR404 , this is why :
https://www.image-line.com/support/FLHe ... 20Bass.htm
extra dollars ....

I'm also missing the "repeat step sequencer" tick box which I was suprised to find has disappeared.

There are plans to bring it back at some point in the future, but I find myself keep going back to FL11 because it seems you need less workarounds to do what you want to do
THIS IS MY MUSIC: http://spoti.fi/45P2xls :phones:

i think the improvements and additions overall are for the most part good. the time-stretching alone makes it worth-while. and, although i missed the same things at first i now prefer the changes, i used the piano roll mostly before anyway... the step sequencer is just a remainder of the days of Fruity Loops : )

I'm still using FL 11 for serious projects. Though I have both 11 and 12 living together happily here.

FL12.3 is a big improvement on FL12.0. Lots of bugs fixed so I was hoping the loop recording would be fixed. It wasn't, however, Image-Line are working on this for FL12.3.1 so I might end up tracking audio in FL Studio instead of Pro Tools.

Maybe.

All in all though, for ITB work, I love FL Studio. It's a great sound design and mixing environment. Not to mention the amazing piano roll and open form playlist for quick arranging.

Would love to see a dedicated comping system in the playlist some time in the near future - after audio tracking is perfected.

i think you are right, this loop recording feature will be in next release..

...along with an UNLIMITED number of channels

maybe i'm missing something but i (and someone else i know and work with alot (not that it adds much weight but still)) find it very vexing not to be able to manually set beats per what is now a 'channel rack'.

ok, i add one more beat, cool. no you add 4! 4 IS RIGHT! huh? no i don't.. that's not, uhm... logic, again?

I used version 9, skipped 10 and stayed with 11.
Try only to surpass your own previous accomplishments instead of beating others

lectrixboogaloo wrote:maybe i'm missing something but i (and someone else i know and work with alot (not that it adds much weight but still)) find it very vexing not to be able to manually set beats per what is now a 'channel rack'.

ok, i add one more beat, cool. no you add 4! 4 IS RIGHT! huh? no i don't.. that's not, uhm... logic, again?
why don't you set a marker for the length that you want?
you can do that in the pattern piano roll now...

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”