Sonic Charge Cyclone//to sample with..any tips?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've tried out the Sonic Charge Cyclone today and am about to explore re-sampling drum samples with it. Does anyone have any tips or pitfalls to avoid that they've found. I'm learning the interface from scratch, so anything is helpful(took me a little while just to load anything up successfully). Any thoughts on the plugin? -I like the way the included drum samples sounded, I'm hoping some of that mojo(internal compression/sample bit translation)will transfer to things I resample.

Pitfalls - you need the patience of Saint,for the editing.I still haven't gotten that quick at it

But the sound of it is great.I like to record most stuff hard into it,for that 12 bit(?) juice boost.

Is it really worth the pain and suffering as opposed to any other bitcrusher effect?
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

That's the million dollar question

ere2learn wrote:Pitfalls - you need the patience of Saint,for the editing.I still haven't gotten that quick at it

But the sound of it is great.I like to record most stuff hard into it,for that 12 bit(?) juice boost.
How does it edit waves. Should I send the audio through in a certain way to make the sample cut easier? -I haven't even attempted a sample record yet...so does it trigger the record on audio input? -thanks :)

Editing samples by numbers,there is a record trigger for midi & foot,I never figured out the record by midi,I just record with the buttons

I haven't used it since it first came out, but I'm pretty sure you can set an audio threshold to trigger sampling.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

^ Cool guys. It reminds me of a few drum machines I had in the 90's. I always looked at programming them as a game in itself. The question 'can I do x with it' was always a new headache...but going through all that meant that your sound in the end would be that much more unique, unless someone else had gone through the same headache. -nostalgia will get me going here. Just been downloading some soundbanks for tonight, lots of them out there :)

Have you guys ever run into the problem of it not loading the image files(good ones). I can't even get it to load back my original bank, yet I had saved it as a patch file in FL Studio...which loads it right up. I'm trying to test to see if I can use the disc image utility here to simply drag my .wav files into the program format. I won't be able to test until I figure why I'm having a load problem: http://soniccharge.com/floppybaker

I had a TX16-W. In fact I sold it to a friend in the 90s and he recently brought it over for me to fix. It's in the studio. The floppy stopped working. Anyway, the original OS was god awful. I mean it is in the top 5 worst software tools I've ever used in my life. Thank goodness when Typhoon came out - and wow! what an endevour to reverse engineer the TX and write a new OS for it. An early example of hardware hacking. So what you are using in the Cyclone is Typhoon - if you think that is bad, you have no idea - Can you run the original OS on the plugin? That would be... masochistic.

plexuss wrote:I had a TX16-W. In fact I sold it to a friend in the 90s and he recently brought it over for me to fix. It's in the studio. The floppy stopped working. Anyway, the original OS was god awful. I mean it is in the top 5 worst software tools I've ever used in my life. Thank goodness when Typhoon came out - and wow! what an endevour to reverse engineer the TX and write a new OS for it. An early example of hardware hacking. So what you are using in the Cyclone is Typhoon - if you think that is bad, you have no idea - Can you run the original OS on the plugin? That would be... masochistic.
I tracked down the steps I was missing. I'm shocked that I stumbled across doing it on my own earlier. I don't think you can revert the plugin, thank goodness..it actually seems fairly easy to me, compared to a few of those old drum machines.

spacekid wrote:
plexuss wrote:...it actually seems fairly easy to me, compared to a few of those old drum machines.
what old drum machines would you consider hard to use?

jbuonacc wrote:
spacekid wrote:
plexuss wrote:...it actually seems fairly easy to me, compared to a few of those old drum machines.
what old drum machines would you consider hard to use?
The old Boss drum machines were hard to do certain things with. Much harder when starting out then this is.

Found the answer for quick import of drum samples. Haven't tested yet, or vs direct sampling to see any differences: "@Nicholas Bryant : Sorry. No SDS support. Although there is some form of sysex support in VST, it looks like a mess and from what I've heard it is not widely supported. Cyclone simply ignores anything that Typhoon sends on the TX16W ports (MIDI and RS422). Better to put AIFF files on a virtual floppy image (e.g. use the http://soniccharge.com/floppybaker). Just change the extension from .aiff to .A01 (don't ask why :) )" - from Sonic Charge : https://soniccharge.com/forum/topic/432

^ It works. 16 bit AIFF changed format with batch renamer to .A01 ..the disk image created with the tool. You will only be able to store 1 or 2 16bit samples per disk image..but you can save them as bigger banks via your DAW patch save method. The key-release cutoff will sound with the samples, so you have to hold the keys through the full sample to avoid the cutoff click. Other than that 1 drawback to triggering, it sounds great. The default import/sample key seems to be E6 or F6..but it's nice to have the stretch mapping for playing around with. It should be possible to change that, I believe.

Return to “Instruments”