Trouble moving projects from Mac to Windows

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I bought MuLab 7 recently and have installed it on my MacBook Pro and my Windows desktop PC. The MacBook is convenient for recording MIDI instruments etc. but the PC has more horsepower and better speakers, so I'd like to be able to move projects between the two MuLab installations.

This doesn't seem to work for me, unfortunately. If I move a project created in Mac MuLab to my PC, the PC version complains that it was created in a 'newer version' of MuLab (it's 7.0.47 on both computers). Sometimes the project then opens anyway, sometimes it doesn't.

The latest one I've opened on the PC claimed not to have opened, but then opened anyway, except that now the master rack is showing no available audio outputs (I've installed the ASIO4All driver on Windows, I've selected that driver in the MuLab audio setup, other MuLab tracks can play on Windows just fine, etc. etc.).

Is there some way I'm supposed to be doing this, or does MuLab just not support creating a project on the Mac and then moving it to the PC?

Thanks,
Eido

First of all it's recommended to update to MuLab 7.2.17 on both computers.

MuProjects are perfectly transferrable between Mac and Windows. That's appart from the used VST plugins ie. if you use VST X on Mac and VST X does not exist on PC, then the project will not be able to insert VST X of course and so it will skip VST X and continue opening. Also take into account that it depends on the VST itself whether the VST specific data is transferrable between Mac and Windows, that's outside MuLab's control.

Also audio hardware must be compatible i mean, for example, if you use 4 stereo outs on Mac and only have 2 stereo outs on Windows then of course only 2 of the 4 can be mapped.

But besides these platform specific VST / IO considerations, MuProjects themselves are perfectly transferrable.

OK, it's good that it should be possible, but then it's odd that it isn't working for me.

Do you know why I would be seeing the 'this project was created with a newer version of MuLab' message when the versions are the same?

How do I resolve the issue of no available audio output (when a newly created project can find the audio out just fine)?

I'll update to the latest release now, thanks.

eidolonia wrote:Do you know why I would be seeing the 'this project was created with a newer version of MuLab' message when the versions are the same?
The only reason i see is that the versions are not the same. You can see with which MuLab version a MuProject file was saved by opening the project file in a plain text editor, it's mentioned at the start of the file. (read only! Do not change the file, that will make it unreadable)
How do I resolve the issue of no available audio output (when a newly created project can find the audio out just fine)?
Use other audio outs.

Return to “MUTOOLS”