Did U Have To ? (An R&B Ballad)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Love is a risky business..........
https://soundcloud.com/karma_tba/did-u-have-to

Nice laid-back tune. A few observations (as ever....);

1. You've got a nice voice which has a good and pleasing tone, but you seem to be holding back when, as the song goes on, you could be letting rip a bit more (think Marvin Gaye...I often do but then realise I'm a shiity indie-rock singer :cry: ) Don't know if it's down to inexperience, or having neighbours who complain etc, but I was really wanting you to go for it at the end.

2. The mix - Vocals are notoriously difficult to mix (after 30 odd years I'm still guessing my way...). To me they sound disconnected from the rest of the song here. Too loud (which in a way is refreshing!) and you could probably roll off all the bass below 70hz and cut some boominess at 300-400hz. A little bit of sizzle over 10hz to give a bit of air and sparkle would work too. I reckon you're not far off with the reverb - avoided the usual fault of using some big hall preset! To get them to sit, I've always found a bit of overall mix bus 'glue' compression works a treat so the music very gently (being the operative word) ducks to the vocals. Obviously compression is a whole new can of worms..

Anyway, as I said, I liked the tune!

donkey tugger wrote:Nice laid-back tune. A few observations (as ever....);

1. You've got a nice voice which has a good and pleasing tone, but you seem to be holding back when, as the song goes on, you could be letting rip a bit more (think Marvin Gaye...I often do but then realise I'm a shiity indie-rock singer :cry: ) Don't know if it's down to inexperience, or having neighbours who complain etc, but I was really wanting you to go for it at the end.

2. The mix - Vocals are notoriously difficult to mix (after 30 odd years I'm still guessing my way...). To me they sound disconnected from the rest of the song here. Too loud (which in a way is refreshing!) and you could probably roll off all the bass below 70hz and cut some boominess at 300-400hz. A little bit of sizzle over 10hz to give a bit of air and sparkle would work too. I reckon you're not far off with the reverb - avoided the usual fault of using some big hall preset! To get them to sit, I've always found a bit of overall mix bus 'glue' compression works a treat so the music very gently (being the operative word) ducks to the vocals. Obviously compression is a whole new can of worms..

Anyway, as I said, I liked the tune!
Thank you for listening and especially for your production advice. Happy Holidays!!

Return to “Music Cafe”