Trying out a new toy

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I haven't been on KvR in a while. Good to see it's still going strong.

So, eh, I got a new toy the other day. Image

And this track shows it off:

http://eijkhout.net/mp3s/Cantabile.mp3

Oh, so that's a contrabass recorder. The other parts are three alto recorders, manipulated to sound a little electronically. I'm not 100 percent happy with the effect, but for now it is what it is.

Victor.

I like the sonorous deep soft sound of the contrabass recorder.
It's not only big in size but also big in sound. Great track! :tu:

andy enroe.
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Good to see you back on here (these days I only dip in occasionally myself). This has a lovely tone.
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

That looks more like a piece of heavy artillery than a recorder :wink:

Nice composition, and the contrast between the sounds of the altos vs. the bass is very pleasant. For some reason I was thinking of "El Condor Pasa" before the contrabass joined in.

I have 3 or 4 recorders stashed away upstairs. I think they are sopranos and altos, but there may be a tenor up there too. I have been meaning to record and process them with a light Paulstretch to turn into drones for an ambient project.

Good work :)

seismic1 wrote:sopranos and altos, but there may be a tenor up there too. I have been meaning to record and process them with a light Paulstretch to turn into drones for an ambient project.
Yeah, that's the spirit of what I was going for. Taking acoustic instruments and turn them ever so slightly electronic. I think that gives a more lively sound than just using a sample.

Thanks for the compliments you and all other respondents.

Victor.

PS so this is more or less exactly 4 times the size of an alto.

wow what a gigantic Music Instrument! fantastic! and your tune is very organic and a pleasure to listen to. very well done :tu:

That's quite beautiful. It could come from a fantastical scene for many a movie.

And, where do you load that thing? :help:

tehlord wrote: And, where do you load that thing? :help:
It comes apart in 3 pieces. But even then the case is heavy enough that it needs wheels.

Victor.

Nice and vocal sounding and clean, good for the synthy bed you put it in

Got plans for any distortion? :D

That's huuuuuge! :P :ud:

Welcome back. :hug:

Wow, such unique sound. It has characteristics of a Basoon but with more of a breathy sound like a flute or recorder. Very interesting!
I love the accompaniment, makes the track sound more contemporary but it fits well with the sound of the instrument.
Thanks for sharing!

So, you're a recorder player. Good to know. I used to play and teach recorder many years ago, but I quit playing.

I always loved the recorder sound, and I regret that it isn't more used nowadays (basically just for old music, up to the baroque).
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: I always loved the recorder sound, and I regret that it isn't more used nowadays (basically just for old music, up to the baroque).
Actually, in the last 50 or so years the recorder has been the subject of a quite a lot of contemporary music. Here's a video about Gesti by Luciano Berio, probably one of the most famous composers to have written for recorder.

https://youtu.be/URikWEZGD3Q

Thanks for listening and commenting!

Victor.

very cool. thats some recorder. nice low tones!
looks as good as it sounds!!!
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Return to “Music Cafe”