29%

Total votes: 119

RELATED
PRODUCTS
Repro The Legend

The Legend Or repro-1

Cons and pro

Pro's: both have a demo version :tu:

Cons: pointless thread. 2 very diff synths.
Last edited by AnX on Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Only one is polyphonic, so The Legend wins ;)
<List your stupid gear here>

I got both and like both but both sound and feature wise they are just too different to really compare them.
Really depends on which kind of sound or features you need.

Personally i was always a fan of the Minimoog sound and i even owned a real one long time ago so having a very good Minimoog emulation (first Monark and now The Legend) is essential for me.

I never owned or played a real Pro One so i have no "personal relation" to Repro-1 like i have wit hThe Legend.

Anyway the filter in Repro-1 is different and it has some features not included with The Legend (or a real Minimoog) like e.g. adustable Pulse width + PWM, Osc Sync, dedicated LFO, step sequencer a more or less limited mod matrix.

The Legend has a 3rd Osc and could use the Noise source (pink or white noise) for Osc FM or filter FM which could lead to intereting results (you could also mix the OSc 3 and Noise source for modulation).
Like the Minimoog The Legend could use Osc 3 as an LFO when switching teh octave to "LO" and switching off key tracking.
The Legend (opposing to a real Minimoog and also Repro-1) could also switch the filter between 24dB and 12dB modes and has 4 voice poyphonic and 4 voice Unison modes (both with adjustable stereo spread).

Especially when used with polyphony The Legend has a quite low CPU use while with a single voice it seems to be closer to Repro-1 (which also depends on which qualoty settings you use in Repro-1). With 4 voices The Legend seems to use around the double CPU amount of a single voice.

With the latest version The Legend also has a FX plugin version so you could use the filter with other synths. When routing a MIDI track to the Legend FX plugin you could also use the envelopes and the oscillators of the FX plugin.

Last but not least The Legend is also availabe as a Rack Extensíon (RE) plugin for Reason. High quaity analog modelled plugins like this seem to be quite rare with current RE plugins.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

If you are a fan of the old Yazoo synthpop sound, or Erasure, then Repro-1 might be for you. I think perhaps this one good selling point. But for me personally, it's a little too expensive and too limited in terms of polyphony to go beyond the original instrument.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLTGs4fqxBk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc_Ii-sFIA8
Last edited by egbert101 on Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

I don't own the other on, so Repro-1 is better :P

I find The Legend more "versitile", because of polyphonic mode and unison. Other then that the sound itself wich fits very well in the mix. Also it is easier to use.

RePro sound is great, very characteristic and i love it, but it lacks for me poly mode to be versitile and its somewhat harder to program to get the sound you have in your mind.
RePro has one of the best distortion modules ever created Jaws.

Both imo are complimentary synthesizers, The Legend is strong for more traditional sounds wheres RePro is great at very fat, darker, more agressive sounds.

^ Jaws is a wavefolder. I don't think you can really describe Jaws as a distortion module. It sure sounds like some crazy 'distortion' on a lot of settings but definitely not what a distortion module usually sounds like. It's pretty wild.
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

Repro-1 is ok but for me too limited and I have not found a usage in my music.
The Legend is a great synth with useful additions like the polyphonic and unison mode which makes this synth more versatile for today's needs.

Is there something in Legend other than polyphony that makes Repro-1 seem limited?

I mean, when people say "limited", do they mean lack of specific features or do they talk about the limited use for them due to lack of polyphony?

I'm seriously interested in this because I had been of the opinion that Repro-1 is an extremely "unlimited" specimen of its kind, because ModMatrix, Velocity, flexible effects and stuff. If in comparison a Minimoog emulation such as The Legend is considered "more flexible" in terms of architecture, I'd wonder how people come to that conclusion unless they indeed mean unison and poly features.

egbert101 wrote:Only one is polyphonic, so The Legend wins ;) ... for me personally, it's [Repro-1] a little too expensive and too limited in terms of polyphony ...
Elektronisch wrote:I find The Legend more "versitile", because of polyphonic mode and unison. ... RePro sound is great, very characteristic and i love it, but it lacks for me poly mode to be versitile ...
4damind wrote:Repro-1 is ok but for me too limited and I have not found a usage in my music. The Legend is a great synth with useful additions like the polyphonic and unison mode which makes this synth more versatile for today's needs.
this is some of the dumbest shit i've seen all day. unreal.

The two are great synths. Mostly I'll get the two in the near future.

Anyway, between the two, I like RePro~1 more. It is not better than the legend, but I like the sound more. Growing up with Vince Clark and Yazoo among others has affected me more than the moog sound.

I don't think that the RePro~1 is limited. I don't feel Monark is limited for example! There will be Pro~5 emulation by u-he (as Urs said in another thread), so RePro~1 has its special place as a monophonic synth IMO. I love it like this ;)

For me, it's about polyphony, although to be honest, 4 note polyphony isn't much to work with, but good enough for chords, strings and pad sounds.

If Repro-1 were Repro-5 ;) then I'm pretty sure the votes would have swung heavily towards it rather than The Legend (since there are plenty of minimoog emulations to choose from).

If The Legend did not have a Poly mode, or didn't have an FX version to allow its filter to be used, then the votes would probably be even, imo.

jbuonacc wrote:
egbert101 wrote:Only one is polyphonic, so The Legend wins ;) ... for me personally, it's [Repro-1] a little too expensive and too limited in terms of polyphony ...
Elektronisch wrote:I find The Legend more "versitile", because of polyphonic mode and unison. ... RePro sound is great, very characteristic and i love it, but it lacks for me poly mode to be versitile ...
4damind wrote:Repro-1 is ok but for me too limited and I have not found a usage in my music. The Legend is a great synth with useful additions like the polyphonic and unison mode which makes this synth more versatile for today's needs.
this is some of the dumbest shit i've seen all day. unreal.
Why? And why the need the pointing that out? Instead of a proper contribution to the thread...

I find myself loving both synth about equally. I use The Legend way more often (pads, long releases, RR mode; in short; polyphony), but Repro-1 more specific. Although i was able to get a 6 voice repro-1 working, not all parameters can be linked/connected to a midi port or bus, so it is very limited.

exmatproton wrote: Why? And why the need the pointing that out? Instead of a proper contribution to the thread...
Fanbois will be fanbois. :hihi:

Return to “Instruments”