In bitwig I have pops and clicks with a big project

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have one major problem:
If my song progression goes further and further, the clicks and pops are getting more and more. They are annoying, but after bounces they go away....

It is not because of my workstation, because it has 32 bit RAM and 6 cores, each 3.6 Gbytes.
It is not because latency, because I have 512 samples with a good audio interface and I use Bitwig on two different systems.

The problem is, they are just occurin g in bitwig, they are not occuring in other DAWs I use/I try....

Maybe someone has a solution or explanation?

I think that's just how Bitwig is. I have 4 DAWs installed on my PC and Bitwig starts choking way sooner than other DAWs. I use amp sims and they use a ton of CPU with the oversampling cranked up and Bitwig just cannot handle them well at all.

Same here cracks and pops... sounds like "buffer/glitchy" sound FX or something. :D
Sometimes i think it happens when zooming, but then again it happens on start or when im just listening.
Cant get a grip on it...

Edit: sometimes nothing at all.. Maybe a pluginn , but damn wich one? :o

even with 20-30 tracks with many effects and automations I havent these noises with other DAWs...

And it is not my setup or system, because it also happens with my laptop which has a completely different setup.

Can anyone that has these problems attest if the GUI turns into a laggy mess when bitwig surpasses 60% in cpu usage? I am wondering if its just me even though I tried it in 3 different machines already.

What OS do you use? Windows != Max != Linux...

crazyfiltertweaker wrote:I have one major problem:
If my song progression goes further and further, the clicks and pops are getting more and more. They are annoying, but after bounces they go away....

It is not because of my workstation, because it has 32 bit RAM and 6 cores, each 3.6 Gbytes.
It is not because latency, because I have 512 samples with a good audio interface and I use Bitwig on two different systems.

The problem is, they are just occurin g in bitwig, they are not occuring in other DAWs I use/I try....

Maybe someone has a solution or explanation?

A overclock to 4 Ghz might help you, You get pops due to A. Software B. Processor Not being fast enough to keep up no matter the gigahertz C. Hard drive speed. The other outlierI background tasks on your operating system which is usually a big cause. You can always try increasing your sample rate to find out! like 1024 or more to test.

These are all personal experience though over the years, so they might not help.

If you are working with audio files and tracks make sure the micro fade ins and outs are checked.

Hmmm it seems i solved it. (knocking on wood)
But in PREFS sample rate was on automatic... now im on 44.1 and it SEEMS to have disappeared??
(does that even make sense? )

I've actually noticed these pops, clicks, even at 20-40% cpu.

I believe it's the graphics card. It doesn't work well with audio. Sometimes, I rr the pc and everything is alright.

Could be bad GRAM processing, or something that causes crap to pile up it glitches audio. Speculating here.

Edit; i have i7 skylake cpu, 16gb ddr4 ram and nvidia gtx950m, SSDs

aquilyzer wrote:What OS do you use? Windows != Max != Linux...

Windows 10 are giving me the same problem. Tried running large projects on 3 different computers. CPU's are insanely fast (6900k/6700k/xeon 2687) with the same results every time.. When I get over 50-60% constant dsp the gui starts lagging and shortly after the clicks and pops appear.

For me Setting Processor Scheduling to ‘Background Services’ made a big difference. This is on Windows 10.

I don't know about this specific situation, but another general tip for Windows which is pretty well known but that maybe some people don't know about is to set your power plan to High Performance when running Bitwig (or any DAW or audio software).

It tells the CPU to run at its maximum speed all the time, rather than trying to slow down and speed up based on load. That helps reduce clicks a lot in many situations.

Obviously if you are using a laptop on battery power maybe it's not such a good idea.

Constantly have the same issue with CPU in Bitwig. For example in Reaper everything works like it should.

In Reaper i have a project with 6 Reaktors, 6 Redux samplers and 5 channels with FX - not even little hint about CPU spikes, noises an crackles. In Bitwig i will see CPU spikes after 4 Reaktors.

I guess that something really wrong in Bitwig's sound engine core because before they re-wrote engine everything worked very well. I mean if in Reaper i have no problem on my machine and in Bitwig i have problems - problem in Bitwig, not in my machine.

About interface: It coded in Java. This is the answer. JVM can't work as fast as C++ coded software.

I'm on OS X.

Crackles usually mean the buffer is running dry. This could be Bitwig's audio engine, what's feeding the engine, particular VSTs, that is, anything in the audio chain, or the driver. Just increase the buffer size until it disappears. If the latency gets too high to record, you don't have a lot of choice but to turn off some stuff. In rare cases, it could be CPU overload, but you'd have to be running some heavy-duty stuff.

Bitwig is modular in it's routing, which I'm guessing does introduce some lag and the I also guess that the further you nest things, the more nanoseconds you'll lose.

Just thoughts. I don't find Bitwig much worse than others, but I'm in the habit of keeping things slim from the old days.

Return to “Bitwig”