Steinberg HALion 6 & HALion Sonic 3

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/v ... nic_3.html
What is new in HALion 6 and HALion Sonic 3?

While the new sound design features are exclusively available in HALion 6, the new instruments libraries can be found in both HALion 6 and HALion Sonic 3.

-Next-generation wavetable synthesis
-Macro Page Designer
-HALion live-sampling
-HALion scripting
-Library Creator

-The Eagle Grand
-The Raven Grand
-Hot Brass
-Studio Strings
-Anima (2xOSC wavetable synth)
-Skylab (Granular synth)
-New Combi Library
-New effects
Last edited by Numanoid on Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

the voiceover in the vids is effin annoying.

also brass and strings instruments sound like a joke.

WOW. First came Falcon, now HALion. The future of sampling synthesis never shined so bright :-)
Fernando (FMR)

...but the next generationl wave table functions seems impressive

Could it make Serum become redundant?

And the scripting abilities, could it take on Falcon for a match ?

Looks like HALion Script is Lua, so same as Falcon...

Designing macro pages looks really great, even better than in Falcon - much more flexible. This should be a great creativity boost for content designers.

Question is - how CPU efficient is it compared to Kontakt? :)

P.S.: And wow, it actually samples! :clap:

On initial release, does Steinberg usually or never offer a reduced price?

Halion 5 is great but obviously doesn't have the same support as Kontakt. I am sure Simon will chime in with specifics.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

wagtunes wrote:On initial release, does Steinberg usually or never offer a reduced price?
They usually do grace periods if you purchase previous version in the vicinity of the newer version release. Then you get the newer version for free.

EvilDragon wrote: P.S.: And wow, it actually samples! :clap:
Yep... and it has an editor. Look forward to see how far the editor goes. I always wanted to be able to edit samples inside the sampler. Loop tools, especially would be really welcomed :-) (I know, I know, I'm an old fashion guy, who still cares about looping the samples).
Fernando (FMR)

-HALion live-sampling

A sampler that samples. It's about time. Cool

EvilDragon wrote:
wagtunes wrote:On initial release, does Steinberg usually or never offer a reduced price?
They usually do grace periods if you purchase previous version in the vicinity of the newer version release. Then you get the newer version for free.
Ah okay, so if you are a first time buyer and don't have HALion 5 at all, you're paying full price. Or, IOW, they just don't run sales.

Got it.

They mention resynthesis with the wavetable stuff. I wonder how deep this is and how long of samples can be used.

wagtunes wrote:Ah okay, so if you are a first time buyer and don't have HALion 5 at all, you're paying full price. Or, IOW, they just don't run sales.
They do, but the timing of them is somewhat unpredictable. Crossgrade offers (from other companies products) are also common, though I'm not sure if they've ever done any for HALion.

The other main way is academic versions, which tend to be around the same price as their best sales prices..

BTW Sample editing in samplers usually always sucks Vs any half-decent dedicated editor. Would be a pleasant surprise if they actually break that trend.

I'll upgrade, but it's mostly for the Wavetable stuff (Still no FM, Steinberg?) Without that I probably wouldn't have bothered, though the GUI construction thing does look interesting too.

wagtunes wrote:Ah okay, so if you are a first time buyer and don't have HALion 5 at all, you're paying full price. Or, IOW, they just don't run sales.
You will also need to buy the Steinberg eLicenser dongle, if you haven't already got it.

I would advice against using the soft eLicenser as you can't move a product between computers then. Your stuck with it on the one you install it on, and it will take some effort to be able to move it to another computer if needed later.

Numanoid wrote:
You will also need to buy the Steinberg eLicenser dongle, if you haven't already got it.

I would advice against using the soft eLicenser as you can't move a product between computers then. Your stuck with it on the one you install it on, and it will take some effort to be able to move it to another computer if needed later.
That's not a problem. I already own and use Cubase as my main DAW and I use the dongle to store my license. But I've been waiting for HALion 5 to go on sale now for at least a year and it never did, unless I just missed it. In fact, since I've owned Cubase (2013) I don't recall Steinberg ever running a sale on anything. So I'm certainly not going to hold my breath on this one.

Return to “Instruments”