Pencil Sketch Composition, Listen and Comment if you wish!!

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Fellow Musos!!

Composing with a single instrument "the Piano Approach" is what i tried in my latest composition..

Tell me what you folks think of the single piano pencil sketch approach!!

https://soundcloud.com/tb4c/winston-hulley-innocence

regards
Surreal

Thank you everyone for listening!!

Much appreciated!

Surreal

Sounds a beautiful piano composition

You have skills

:)
Just a Man.. a Mad Man huhuhaha! :hyper:

Thank you very much for the compliment!

I was attempting to just compose with a single instrument without worrying about sound design.. it was very enjoyable to apply the.. "restriction enhances creativity" principle!

Thank you for taking the time to listen Eulogeebeats,

Regards
Surreal

Too much reverb for me. I'm starting to feel a bit seasick. Otherwise, it's a nice sketch. I wonder if you started off dry (intimate sounding) and progressively added the reverb as it went along, or, indeed vice-versa ie, wet to dry, how it might sound. Could be an interesting way of adding dynamics. My 2c.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Hi Aloysius,

Thank you for your input... maybe I overcooked the convolution reverb too much in my attempt to make it dreamy..spacey and floating... but your suggestions is extremely creative!!... mmm I should use my effects more creatively, I never thought of using reverb in the way you suggested but it makes more sense to me now... Thank you for your input and suggestion and your time!!!

Regards
Surreal

:tu:
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

I agree with the commenter above about there being too much reverb. But good work. I'd be interested in hearing you take the same single-instrument approach with an instrument much more limited in terms of polyphony, say like a cello, or even a monophonic instrument like a trombone or flute.

Nice tune !
You went for the dreamy approach and you did it.
Sometimes it isn´t just the amount of verb, but the verb itself.
Try to cut some bass and highs on the verb bus and you´ll see
how big the difference will be !

If you like the single approach, you will perhaps dig one of my
compositions for piano, on which a friend added saxophon later:

PIANinO RubALTO - Chemin De Vérité (Rondo minore)

Thanks for posting !

(( D ))

bedlamite wrote:I agree with the commenter above about there being too much reverb. But good work. I'd be interested in hearing you take the same single-instrument approach with an instrument much more limited in terms of polyphony, say like a cello, or even a monophonic instrument like a trombone or flute.
Thank you Bedlamite for your listen and I am glad you enjoyed it. I like your suggestion for trying a monophonic instrument. ... I will have to work out supporting harmonies though to keep it intresting!! But yes I will do something again like this!

Thanks again!! :tu:

drumity wrote:Nice tune !

Thanks for posting !

(( D ))
A stunning Piece of work Drumity!! I thoroughly enjoyed it!!! You are also very talented!! Thank you for the suggestions.. I will keep that in consideration when I try a single instrument/reverb project.. I must confess I never roll off my tops and bass frequencies in the reverb channel... but that makes sense so that it does not muddle up the mix on the main instrument so that the focus stays on the solo instrument!!

Thank you for your input aswell..

Regards

Surreal :D

surreal wrote:
drumity wrote:Nice tune !

Thanks for posting !

(( D ))

A stunning Piece of work Drumity!! I thoroughly enjoyed it!!! You are also very talented!! Thank you for the suggestions.. I will keep that in consideration when I try a single instrument/reverb project.. I must confess I never roll off my tops and bass frequencies in the reverb channel... but that makes sense so that it does not muddle up the mix on the main instrument so that the focus stays on the solo instrument!!

Thank you for your input aswell..

Regards

Surreal :D
Thanks Surreal !
Glad you liked the piece !

(( D ))

I agree with the earlier posters regarding the reverb. I use some fairly large reverbs on my tracks, but they are electronic, and I think it's probably more acceptable in that format due to the more "artificial" nature of the sounds employed. It can sound a little odd on a solo piano.

The music is well-written and highly emotive.

Good work :)

Thank you very much!

Love it!
[from someone who is in the middle of composing a solo piano album!]

Return to “Music Cafe”