new Mainboard, maybe i will abandon PCI or better keep 1?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i used my PCI slots on my current MB for 1x PCI Card with 4x usb2.0 and 1x PCI for my old Maudio card (i got an audio interface though) which i used sometimes for plugging in a tape deck, a vinyl player and sometimes to use WHAT YOU CAN HEAR on windows to record.

the USB 2.0 card seems also available for PCIe if i really need one again and my vinyl & tape deck i might plug in into my audio interface. only thing i will miss is WHAT YOU CAN HEAR.

as many new mainboards dont offer PCI anymore i wanted to ask if you would then abandon PCI? so i dont need to look for an Asus / Gigabyte with PCI.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

The older M-audio drivers got patchy after W7 and the company changed hands with older models being delisted, so I'm not sure how much updating has been done, if any.

You can but try it, but I don't think anyone can safely say at this point if it'll work up front. If you find a board that does all you need and happens to have PCI then great, but otherwise, it might be time to retire it.

If you have another interface anyway, you can work around capturing audio. I use a program called Total Recorder to capture anything playing, although you can use a routing tool like VB cable to get the same job done.

I'd say that the only interface worth keeping a PCI slot for is if you had one of the older RME cards that are still supported.
Remember the iLokalypse Summer 2013

Samples and presets and free stuff!

Oddly though, when having to buy a new mobo for this computer, they all had one. Why that is funny is that when I bought this and kinda needed one, they were hard to find :?

They killed it from the native controller a few generations ago and we had a whole generation of boards that pretty much were PCI free (Z77/Z87ish, I can't remember which...), but due to customer pressure a lot of manufacturers started offering boards with it again the generation after by implementing a bridging chip solution to make it viable again.

Makes sense.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”