TimeShaper: Less clicks when jumping in audio - Beta

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
FilterShaper Core PanShaper TimeShaper VolumeShaper

TimeShaper lets you move a virtual playback position in your audio, for multiband stutter, reverse effects, scratches, tape-stops, glitches and beat repeats.

When doing hard steps, the initial version could produce audible, unpleasant clicks. This was by the nature of doing a hard cut, and we've just added a setting which allows you to smooth these clicks.

The update also fixes an issue that only note C could be used for MIDI triggering the LFOs.

It's still in beta, and we're thankful for every feedback! Do you like the new smoothing algorithm as it is, or is there's something you'd like us to improve?

TimeShaper runs inside ShaperBox. Download ShaperBox 1.0.1 Beta 1 (AU+VST, 32+64bit):
Windows (7 or later) and Mac (OS X 10.8 and later)

The beta is a demo version only, and you can install it in parallel to a full version.

If you haven't seen it yet, here's an introduction to TimeShaper by Dan Worrall:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex0YEWPQW-4

Thanks!

Definitely a noticeable difference, the smooth algorithm works well.
Having both is a great option. It might be interesting if you could interpolate
between them, but that would hardly be worth significant effort.

-Cheers

Hi Jacob,

I love shaperbox!
I wish the beta to be available forregistered users too since I want to use it on a track I am working on!

Thanks,
Kind regards
Bill

I have only VolumeShaper5 inside the ShaperBox GUI and it's a very useful tool for midi triggering to duck the bass against the kick. What I find is that you get clicks with it too if you retrigger it too quickly before the curve has reached full volume again. If there was some auto-smoothing on it too that'd be great :)

MogwaiBoy wrote:I have only VolumeShaper5 inside the ShaperBox GUI and it's a very useful tool for midi triggering to duck the bass against the kick. What I find is that you get clicks with it too if you retrigger it too quickly before the curve has reached full volume again. If there was some auto-smoothing on it too that'd be great :)
Panshaper clicks too with fast modulation. You can slightly angle the nodes to smooth them out and reduce clicks, but I agree that smoothing would be helpful there too. I suggested it to Jakob via email a while back and he didn't seem interesting in building in smoothing, but maybe if enough people mention it (like what happened with Timeshaper), he'll look into adding some type of smoothing to the other effects too.

duplicate :\

Nimrod7 wrote:Hi Jacob,

I love shaperbox!
I wish the beta to be available forregistered users too since I want to use it on a track I am working on!

Thanks,
Kind regards
Bill
If there's no bug coming up, we'll have the update online very soon. I hope it's ok for you to wait a few more days.

pekbro wrote:Definitely a noticeable difference, the smooth algorithm works well.
Having both is a great option. It might be interesting if you could interpolate
between them, but that would hardly be worth significant effort.

-Cheers
I am glad that you like the new algorithm! And yes, I also like the old, "hard" one, sometimes the clicks can be nice to have for EDM / technoid sounds. If you want to use the old algorithm with the click, but reduce its sharpness, you could add a low-pass filter with FilterShaper Core within ShaperBox (the modulation wave within FilterShaper Core lets you limit the filtering to the exact position of the click, if you want to).

I was one of the people who "complained" about the clicks and cracks.
From a short test i can say that i like the smooth mode much more (but still these crackling sounds are there often).
Thank´s.

Cinebient wrote:I was one of the people who "complained" about the clicks and cracks.
From a short test i can say that i like the smooth mode much more (but still these crackling sounds are there often).
Thank´s.
Thanks you very much for your feedback! For what kind of sounds / settings can you still hear crackling sounds?

Jakob / Cableguys wrote:
Cinebient wrote:I was one of the people who "complained" about the clicks and cracks.
Thank´s.
Thanks you very much for your feedback! For what kind of sounds / settings can you still hear crackling sounds?
F.e. the same audio file i send you some time back :D (a custom Sculpture patch).
It still sounds often like a bit of vinyl noise.
It seems sounds with a wide range of frequencies and/or a lot modulations or acoustic sounds like strings are the most problematic.
But maybe it´s just the latest macOS and Logic 10.3. ?

Cinebient wrote:F.e. the same audio file i send you some time back :D (a custom Sculpture patch).
It still sounds often like a bit of vinyl noise.
It seems sounds with a wide range of frequencies and/or a lot modulations or acoustic sounds like strings are the most problematic.
Ah right, now I remember - I had a hard time to notice the crackle, still we should look at it. I've just added a task to our planning.
Cinebient wrote:But maybe it´s just the latest macOS and Logic 10.3. ?
The sound is the same on all systems.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
MogwaiBoy wrote:I have only VolumeShaper5 inside the ShaperBox GUI and it's a very useful tool for midi triggering to duck the bass against the kick. What I find is that you get clicks with it too if you retrigger it too quickly before the curve has reached full volume again. If there was some auto-smoothing on it too that'd be great :)
Panshaper clicks too with fast modulation. You can slightly angle the nodes to smooth them out and reduce clicks, but I agree that smoothing would be helpful there too. I suggested it to Jakob via email a while back and he didn't seem interesting in building in smoothing, but maybe if enough people mention it (like what happened with Timeshaper), he'll look into adding some type of smoothing to the other effects too.
We're actually considering to add a "Smooth on MIDI Trigger" option - which will smooth the wave when you play a MIDI note.

For all other situations, I think it's better to simply tweak the wave, until there are no more clicks. With a generic smoothing knob, it's unclear what the resulting modulation wave looks like. By doing it manually you have more control and can adjust it perfectly to the situation.

I have a time sensitive project that relies on an effect in Shaperbox that i'm waiting for fixing as i can't use it with all the clicks, can I get an estimate on how long the wait will be please? Cheers, J.

simmo75 wrote:I have a time sensitive project that relies on an effect in Shaperbox that i'm waiting for fixing as i can't use it with all the clicks, can I get an estimate on how long the wait will be please? Cheers, J.
We're planning to release the update on Monday - if nothing serious comes up (aka if no serious bug is found or anything that needs to be changed).

Return to “Effects”