SSL4000 ... others?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

HI all,

with the current offer on the SSL4000 bundle, i tried the demo and it seemed to make my sounds come 'alive' so loving what it does, but before i part with my gold are there any other plugins that can give the same sound.

im also trying SAND, but their authorisation process was clumsy to me so put me off straight away.

any ideas welcome

cheers all

Tony

We've had so many of these, it's hard to tell. The fact is that when I wanted it it was way more, had a couple of niggly bugs (do not remember) and reaper was not supported.

Outside of that, I loved it. If you do not have a nice alternative (like slate VMR) then you can't go wrong with it. Do keep in mind that last time I checked you had to pay a transfer fee of some sort with bundles, not sure what/if it's a deal these days.

Otoh, people have complained about waves clumsy auth system too (but I'm assuming you have them already? )

Personally I would go slate VMR and save some money. But that's just my personal opinion.

MFXxx wrote:Personally I would go slate VMR and save some money. But that's just my personal opinion.
VMR isn't really the right product to compare to Waves SSL - you'd be thinking VCC (as part of VMR). But with VCC you don't have the SSL console functionality. From what I understand the Waves SSL bundle is one of the better emulations of the SSL 4k out there. There is also Nebula 4 with 4k libraries say from AlexB but thats a whole other ball of wax.

I have all these by the way. If you want something that has that 4k sound AND workflow, the Waves bundle is the best bet. WIth Nebula and the AlexB 4k libraries you are around $320US and you won't have the same workflow as a 4k desk but you will now be Nebulized... be careful - once I got Nebula I spend $1000's on libraries.

If you like the Waves SSL sound and want the features and functions of the desk, I'd say go with the Waves bundle.

I would save and get Console 1 by softube, I think it offers better value.
dedication to flying

rod_zero wrote:I would save and get Console 1 by softube, I think it offers better value.
Yeah, but Softube products have as downside such a tricky authorization policy, nowdays.

plexuss wrote:
MFXxx wrote:Personally I would go slate VMR and save some money. But that's just my personal opinion.
VMR isn't really the right product to compare to Waves SSL - you'd be thinking VCC (as part of VMR). But with VCC you don't have the SSL console functionality. From what I understand the Waves SSL bundle is one of the better emulations of the SSL 4k out there. There is also Nebula 4 with 4k libraries say from AlexB but thats a whole other ball of wax.

I have all these by the way. If you want something that has that 4k sound AND workflow, the Waves bundle is the best bet. WIth Nebula and the AlexB 4k libraries you are around $320US and you won't have the same workflow as a 4k desk but you will now be Nebulized... be careful - once I got Nebula I spend $1000's on libraries.

If you like the Waves SSL sound and want the features and functions of the desk, I'd say go with the Waves bundle.
+1 the channel comp still sounds great for what it is. It has the same type of "snap" as the hardware. The biggest difference between that and the hardware is that the real thing gives you a slightly wider stereo image. When coupled though with NLS, it raises to a whole level higher.

Thanks for all the input guys, the ssl on almost any sound I put through it seems to give a sound that excites me even with the presets, I'm sure I could do it with something else but not sure which plugins can give that same sounds
Tony

What about Duende? They are SSL or somesuch I think.

Satson -> Ik ssl eq -> the glue

Custom ssl 4k!!!

Waves ssl is quiet good indeed. Highly recommended if you can afford it.

How does the SSL fair against Renaissance Channel, Eventide channel plugins, mcdsp ChannelG?

nicksohn wrote:Waves ssl is quiet good indeed. Highly recommended if you can afford it.
Agree, SSL channel strips by Waves are still the best emu. When you use it in ddmf metaplugin with 2x OS they are insane

If you are looking for that sound-stage zing that console emulation can give you, but are not fixated on SSL 4k, there are many other options to give you that vibe. For example: SKNote Strip3, Waves Saphira, bx_console (which is amazing), many options with AA Nebula, Hornet ChannelStrip, Slate VMR/VCC are some that come to mind.

plexuss wrote:If you are looking for that sound-stage zing that console emulation can give you, but are not fixated on SSL 4k, there are many other options to give you that vibe. For example: SKNote Strip3, Waves Saphira, bx_console (which is amazing), many options with AA Nebula, Hornet ChannelStrip, Slate VMR/VCC are some that come to mind.

exactly the list i needed, now to try some of these..
I think the EQ in ssl 4000 is adding somrthing great.. any other EQ's like it..

cheers

Return to “Effects”