How to start learning sound design

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

what was the best way you learnt sound design, can someone please provide some tips on the best way to learn, iv got a demo version of sylenth, i kinda understand the attack, decay, sustain release,filter section, and LFO section, i managed to create a saw lead with the phase rooted to an LFO and create that wavy type lead, not sure what the other sections do though.
thank you

Sounds like you're not yet finished with the manual. :roll:
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote:Sounds like you're not yet finished with the manual. :roll:
the manual it is.
thank you

After the manual read try & remake some factory patches that you like in sylenth,open 2 instances of sylenth and copy the settings over starting from from an init patch with oscillators,amp envelopes,filter,filter envelopes,FX & modulation

Just aimlessly turn knobs and set modulation destinations in whatever mod matrix is there.
Don't think about this and that, but only listen to how the sounds change as you turn something.
Remember the effect of that change and what caused it.

Analyse patches which you 're liking. Solo parts A/B, turn off FX and so on.

Sound design is a bit like cooking. You just have to do it over and over until you know all the flavors by heart. Eventually you will know when you hear a sound if it is based on a saw, pulse, sine or other basic wave forms, and you will also know how to setup filters, modulation, etc, in order to get close to that sound. Trying to recreate sound is a good way to practise, as ere2learn said.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

There are plenty of tutorials on YouTube with 'subtractive synthesis' in the title.

Return to “Sound Design”