Clock Divider & Quantizer Modules?

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Been loving the playing with the MUX tools. MuLab is a such a fun lab for experimentation. I've been wondering though is a Clock Divider and a Quantizer are in the works? Looking at Reaktor 6 Blocks they have two such modules (DIGILOG CLK DIV & DIGILOG QUANTIZER). I could see modules like those coming in handy with the sequencer and grain player.
"Music is directly tied to the technology of a culture."
"Modular gear is the craft beer of music."

Did you check out the Bit Reducer and Samplerate Reducer modules?

I think the request comes from the hardware modular world, where e.g. a rising saw LFO running through a quantizer creates an exact notes arpeggio.
This is not possible in MUX.

Clockdivider are existing where they are built in the module e.g. the step sequencer.
And you can make your own.
I did have experimented with synced LFOs that create note events (LFO->Mod-Audio Converter->Env Follower) to built something like a Trigger Riot. You can make it work, but it's complicated.

AndreasD wrote:I think the request comes from the hardware modular world, where e.g. a rising saw LFO running through a quantizer creates an exact notes arpeggio.
Yes, I was referring to replications of analog gear. Well, that's too bad but maybe there are some VST's out there which could do the trick. just thought they might come in handy in the MUX toolbox.

AndreasD wrote:I think the request comes from the hardware modular world, where e.g. a rising saw LFO running through a quantizer creates an exact notes arpeggio.
What about this: Osc 1 = Rising Saw -> Bit Reducer -> Audio To Modulation -> Osc 2 Pitch Modulation
Ok maybe it won't make a chromatic notes, but if you need them maybe you can indeed use the Step Sequencer to make the desired pattern.

It works!! Impressive.
Lateral thinking gets you a long way.
Bitdepth of 2.58 (with a bit of finetuning) result in 12 semi tone steps on the spot (Guitar Rig tuner).

Now, who figures out a minor and major scale :)

(Jo, we need a comperator module and switches)

AndreasD wrote:Jo, we need a comperator module and switches
Please elaborate.

Here are 2 patches.
The only difference is that I use an OSC in one and an LFO in the the other patch to create the ramp. The results are identical although the bitdepth is different. I guess this is because i scaled the osc based pitch modulation from -100..+100 to 0..+100.

And if you speed the ramp up, you are back in the old arcade, playing video games.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mutools wrote:
AndreasD wrote:Jo, we need a comparator module and switches
Please elaborate.
I added this as we were dicussing overlaps in hardware and software modular systems.
In the eurorack world it really surprised me how versatile sequential switches are for creating rhythms. Youtube e.g. Steevio - primes, which is basically 2x 8 step sequencer and plenty of switches.
On the other hand comparators and switches can be very usefull in building synth/effects.

At the moment we have no means to check if audio or modulation is above/below a threshold. Very usefull for compressors, limiters and such. I have not thought about what the outputs of a comparator module could be.
The output could switch a switch that amplifies the input audio less above the reference and more below the reference.
With switches you can build MUX where you can switch between (VST) filters, or effects, or sequences, or modulations, or...
There are plenty of possibilities.
I have read from other users asking for a switch, but then I also read from people wishing more new functionality in composing etc. instead of new modules.

Nice topic :)
thanks for the examples Andreas
For retro games sounds/modulation type, I always used the stairs curve in the modulation mapper/amp distortion,I see that the result is very similar.
In this specific case,what is the difference between using that curve type and the bit reducer?

Same thing!
It occured to me a day later or so that the stairs in the (green) modulation domain do the same as the bitreducer in audio.
Same as amp distortion and modulation curves, or some aspects of the mod mapper and the ring modulator.
Last edited by AndreasD on Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks Andreas!
perfect,good to know :tu:
Now I'm also doing some experiments with the bit reducer,since that the bit depth is automatable allows really crazy modulations,lot of fun!

AndreasD wrote:Same thing!
It occured to me a day later or so that the stairs in the (green) modulation domain do the same as the bitreducer in audio.
Same as amp distortion and modulation curves, or some aspects of the mod mapper and the ring modulator.

deleted

AndreasD wrote:Here are 2 patches.
And if you speed the ramp up, you are back in the old arcade, playing video games.
Yep, that's a good use of the BitReducer. Nice!

Return to “MUTOOLS”