Blue Cat's PatchWork 2.0 and MB-7 Mixer 3.0 Released!

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Blue Cat's PatchWork 2.0 and MB-7 Mixer 3.0, the next generation of our virtual patchbay for plug-ins and multiband host announced earlier this year at NAMM are now available!

With brand new user interface designs, dozens of new features, improved third party plug-ins support and audio routing, these new versions aim at redefining the user experience and streamlining the workflow.

Both plug-ins are now available for purchase with a special introduction price until March 15th (15% and 10% off). Existing customers who purchased the plug-ins in the past 6 months will get the new versions for free while others can upgrade for a small fee (details below).

New features for both plug-ins:
- Brand new GUI design, with improved usability and touchscreen support.
- Now supports retina displays on Mac (text and graphs using high resolution).
- Favorite plug-ins and their settings can be saved to be quickly reloaded later from a menu.
- Unused channels for each hosted plug-in can now be muted (instead of default pass-thru).
- Load/save native VST, VST3 or AU preset files.
- Missing VST & VST3 plug-ins are now automatically relocated.
- Presets and parameters menus are now split in sub menus instead of a single list.
- Additional user VST path to locate VST plug-ins is now available.
- Fully compatible with previous versions.
- Changed demo limitations: up to 5 instances allowed, bypass time changed to half a second, and bypass parameter is not affected anymore.
- Dropped support for Windows XP and Mac OS X 10.6 and earlier.

New for Blue Cat's PatchWork:
- Hide plug-ins slots to minimize the plug-in.
- Lock GUI state and in/out gain to prevent changes when loading presets.
- Output gain is now always active, even when using a single PRE column.
- Exclusive solo mode for parallel chains.
- Show or hide all plug-ins editors with single click.
- Standalone application: drag and drop preset files on the application to load preset instantly on startup (and create shortcuts to launch app with a specific preset).

New for Blue Cat's MB-7 Mixer
- Copy/paste and save band settings (including plug-ins) as sub-presets.
- Map sub plug-ins parameters to automate them in host or control them with MIDI.
- Lock GUI state to prevent changes when loading presets.
- Band Controls Groups can now be identified by colors.
- Adjust contrast for spectrogram display.
- Spectrogram now keeps history when resized.
- Import spectrum curves for EQ compare & matching, and export EQ curves to share with other Blue Cat Audio plug-ins.

Pricing (VAT excluded):
Blue Cat's MB-7 Mixer: 84 EUR or $109, instead of 99 EUR or $129 (15% off until March 15th)
Blue cat's PatchWork: 71 EUR or $89, instead of 79 EUR or $99 (10% off until March 15th)
Upgrade to MB-7 Mixer V3: 19 EUR or $25
Upgrade to PatchWork V2: 15 EUR or $19

Enjoy!

Load/save native VST, VST3 or AU preset files. - Finally!!

OK just tried it - so close - could do with some menus for presets instead of using the file system

Finally! :D

aMUSEd wrote:Load/save native VST, VST3 or AU preset files. - Finally!!
OK just tried it - so close - could do with some menus for presets instead of using the file system
Do you mean listing the preset files for a plug-in like we already do for factory presets? It would indeed be nice, if there was a working standard for directories: plug-ins and hosts manufacturers store their preset files all over the place, so the result is almost random!

Blue Cat Audio wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:Load/save native VST, VST3 or AU preset files. - Finally!!
Do you mean listing the preset files for a plug-in like we already do for factory presets? It would indeed be nice, if there was a working standard for directories: plug-ins and hosts manufacturers store their preset files all over the place, so the result is almost random!
Don't know about Windows but on Mac there are a couple of key locations (audio/presets). It must be possible as most hosts do this (at least for those standard formats - but the non standard ones will usually have their own browsers/loaders anyway). eg Bidule
Screenshot 2017-02-25 12.10.19.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Can't make the Patchwork ummm work with George Yohng's VST Wrapper for foobar2000, or with Xlutop Chainer because of the way ins and outs are made in Patchwork - hardcoded 8 ins and 8 outs - and there's no way to have simple stereo ins/outs, and no way to manually choose which 2 of the 8 channels should receive incoming audio, or how it should go out.

Please cover the basics, as you've already got the bells and whistles covered. I absolutely need a modern chainer type plugin working with foobar and VST Wrapper.

This is version two and you still don't have configurable ins and outs. Why?

The plug-in is actually 9 ins / 8 outs (for side chain). However it is configured automatically by the host application with the appropriate number of channels. I guess the hosts you use do not support it. But it should still work, even with 8 ins/outs: only the forst two channels should be processed. And in case you want to do more routing, for each plug-in inserted into PatchWork you can select the channels to process, using the "Audio I/O" menu item.

No, it doesn't work, I have tried. Imagine these 8 channels lined in a row. So according to you the two first channels are from the left, according to VST Wrapper they're from the right*. I've tried this with DDMF Metaplugin. There I can manually reconnect and get audio to run through Metaplugin but this is not possible in Patchwork. And internal IO routing is useless because no audio is getting into Patchwork. That's the problem. Metaplugin has stability issues, Bidule has usability issues, Chainer is too old for some newer plugs. And Patchwork has this routing problem.

I'd suggest that number of inputs/outputs should be made freely configurable, or give us a way to manually assign in and out channels to communicate with the host app. Either of the two WILL work.

Thanks for your response, hope you don't mind me bringing this up.

(* Xlutop Chainer also can not pass audio through Patchwork when used as a host - for the same reason.)

This is actually not possible - with VSTs, the number of I/O is not configurable if the host does not support it. Same for i/o routing: it can be done only on the host side. The other plug-in you mention is probably stereo only, that's why it works here.

If it is only for VST hosting, I guess you can also give a try to the MB-7 Mixer plug-in: it should probably work since it has 1 or 2 audio i/o only.

Blue Cat Audio wrote:This is actually not possible - with VSTs, the number of I/O is not configurable if the host does not support it.
A stereo only dll is not doable?

Hell, I bet I've seen a few plugins where you configure number of IO channels in the options dialog, reload the plugin and there they are - exactly as many IO channels as you've set it to. Good old EnergyXT 1.4.1 comes to mind, Flux, etc.
Blue Cat Audio wrote:Same for i/o routing: it can be done only on the host side.
IO routing inside Patchwork should be totally configurable by Patchwork. You're giving zero options and leaving it to the host to do it automatically. Well, imagine I want the routing done differently. Hands tied.
Blue Cat Audio wrote:The other plug-in you mention is probably stereo only, that's why it works here.
So you don't know the competition?
Hint, no it's not, you could have guessed it from my very words - how do I reconnect if it's stereo only? I take the wires out of the two stereo pins and put them where?

Thanks for your answers Blue Cat, :tu: , I'll get my coat.

Configuring the number of channels globally and requiring a reload would indeed be possible - however we have not encountered the issue with other hosts so far. Also, it could be a problem when using multiple hosts at the same time. Since many hosts actually cache the I/O information, it could also cause additional trouble.

Any CPU optimized update for Patchwork 2.0 comming anytime soon?

It crashes here too with foobar2000.

STILL not able to use the 64bit VST3 version of this plugin that i BOUGHT in Cubase9 as it is recognised as 32 bit version

You need to make sure the VST3-Win-x64 version is installed. You can also use the 64-bit VST2 in Cubase.

If I am on Protools 12 and often collar with someone in Pro Tools 10. Can they still open Blue Cat patchwork on OS X Yosemite in Pro Tools 10?

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”